Sim racers - what are you running?

Soldato
As @Trox says, I fancy a higher FOV. The G9 is great, zero problems, but I think triples will be more immersive and helpful when racing. Only issue is if I can live with the bezels. I know you can get the bezel kit but I'm fussy so will have to wait and see!

I bought and LG 32GP850 to use next to my sim when playing Warzone so I think I'll grab 3 more of those as theres not much of a bezel. Hopefully sellinf the G9 and my old iMac will recoup most of the cost of them!

Added a Simcore wheel extension yesterday so I can get the wheel a little closer. I'm trying to match the driving position in my M3 and I couldn't get the wheel as close as I wanted without my knee getting too close to the Simlab wheel mount.

Associate
Associate
Where's best to order new 8020/8040 pieces in black? I have a P1X if it matters for sizing/colour.

Probably KJN if you want it cut to size, but from what I remember they have high processing/delivery fees which makes small orders relatively expensive. If you can cut it yourself I'd suggest looking at amazon or ebay.

Soldato
Brun is bang on about the small order fees being high, I got lucky and ended up being gifted some leftover 8020 from a mate and hacking it up myself with a hacksaw and a mitre box and some claps. Cost me £25 from screwfix and sunday afternoon & evening bodging it together while i watched the GP. (hint don't work with sharp things while listening to Christian Horner whining on sky)

But i now have HOTAS mounts bolted to my GT Omega race stand with seat add-on so when i upgrade my rig to something more serious i can bolt the HOTAS mounts to that.

Currently I have a priority list, New PC (once 4000/raptor/AM5 comes out), Fanatec DD wheel and pedals (CSL DD base, CS Pedals with load cell, McLaren wheel & maybe WRC wheel), Virpil HOTAS (throttle and stick), Virpil Collective if i can ever break the back of learning choppers.

Racing is still the priority but I'm having fun playing around in MS Flight sim and DCS, but it does feel more like a job than relaxing.

Soldato
Brun is bang on about the small order fees being high, I got lucky and ended up being gifted some leftover 8020 from a mate and hacking it up myself with a hacksaw and a mitre box and some claps. Cost me £25 from screwfix and sunday afternoon & evening bodging it together while i watched the GP. (hint don't work with sharp things while listening to Christian Horner whining on sky)

But i now have HOTAS mounts bolted to my GT Omega race stand with seat add-on so when i upgrade my rig to something more serious i can bolt the HOTAS mounts to that.

Currently I have a priority list, New PC (once 4000/raptor/AM5 comes out), Fanatec DD wheel and pedals (CSL DD base, CS Pedals with load cell, McLaren wheel & maybe WRC wheel), Virpil HOTAS (throttle and stick), Virpil Collective if i can ever break the back of learning choppers.

Racing is still the priority but I'm having fun playing around in MS Flight sim and DCS, but it does feel more like a job than relaxing.
Interesting. I want to build a 8020 cockpit that I can use for racing sims and playing star citizen using dual joysticks and mouse and keyboard

Soldato
Interesting. I want to build a 8020 cockpit that I can use for racing sims and playing star citizen using dual joysticks and mouse and keyboard
When I do full 8020 i will put in a shelf for the mouse and keyboard but currently i have a Corsair K63 Wireless Gaming Lapboard when needed i can just pick up and use. I got it to play odyssey and never really got much mileage out of it cause my PC is so far behind that i chugs in odyssey and Star Citizen runs like PowerPoint at this point.

Being 6'7" means i have to adjust everything around anyway.

Soldato
When I do full 8020 i will put in a shelf for the mouse and keyboard but currently i have a Corsair K63 Wireless Gaming Lapboard when needed i can just pick up and use. I got it to play odyssey and never really got much mileage out of it cause my PC is so far behind that i chugs in odyssey and Star Citizen runs like PowerPoint at this point.

Being 6'7" means i have to adjust everything around anyway.
yea i basically wanna build a "gaming cockpit" if you get what i mean.

something that i sit down in and i can either play some foligth sim games. FPS traditional games and racing sim

Associate
What's peoples opinions on budget pedals?

From reading around it seems to be the Fantec CSL as the recommended set. Anyone used them?

I can't comment on the CSL pedals. Not used them. I've seen doubles (Brake and gas) on CEX for around £45 once or twice.
If it is triples (Brake , gas, clutch) you are after...
I had a set of Thrustmaster TLCM (Got them off here on MM for £130 - so may be considered budget pedals at used price) . They were great. I've since upgraded to Fanatec V3 (Certainly not budget pedals by any means) but the difference between the TLCM and V3? Price increase is not justified. With hindsight and if I wasn't such a brand snob the TLCM pedals are fantastic if you can find a good used set for a decent price.

Associate
Depends on budget?
Budget pedals being the cheap end of the range. I can't justify getting a good set to myself for the amount of use they'll get. However, it's often better to pay a bit more to get a "mid" tier set. The cheapest pedals new seem to be around 100, are they "fine" or are the say ~200 sets worth the extra? I'm not sim racing more than now and again.

Associate
I use a set of csl elites, the 2 pedal set.

Having previously had Thrustmaster, Logitech, Fanatec V3's & Heusinkvelds, these are a great budget set of pedals. I paid about £80 and Ive been in no rush to get back to a high end load cell setup.

They work pretty well in Star citizen too

Last edited:
Soldato
I use a set of csl's, the 2 pedal set.

Having previously had Thrustmaster, Logitech, Fanatec V3's & Heusinkvelds, these are a great budget set of pedals. I paid about £80 and Ive been in no rush to get back to a high end load cell setup.

They work pretty well in Star citizen too
Do you have a 8020 racing sim cockpit that you also use for gaming on star citizen/fight games?

Back
Top Bottom