What film did you watch last night?

Soldato
@ianh - Did you finish "Man From Toronto"?

I got to 40mins and had to switch off. :o

Totally agree...awful.

Yeah sadly, it didn't get any better and I wondered how much of my life I've wasted finishing films which were very obviously crap from the start but I thought I stick out til the end just incase and so I could give a honest opinion on it.

Soldato
Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness - good fun, I was impressed by the female lead as she is only 15. Multiple universes allow all sorts of options but surprisingly enough, even though there are all sorts of differences in most universes Dr Strange's parents met and copulated at exactly the same time to produce a very slightly different version of the same bloke. Surely any change to a universe would make this increadably unlikely. Any, still fun. 3/5

Soldato
Not a fan of cinema theatre. Sitting down for long period of time/ audience behaviour would put me off{not been since 2001!) Though agree big screen and audio likely a great experience.
I've not had any issues recently in cinema. Tend to use Vie now with their big comfy leather recliners. Mostly go early in the day so irs quiet too.

Soldato
Beavis and Butthead do the Universe - for fans 8/10, for everyone else 3/10 - I've been a huge fan since the MTV days nearly 30 years ago and was never expecting this movie to happen! It follows a very similar arc to the original film i.e "a miscommunication leads B&B into unforeseen shenanigans while they remain oblivious to the carnage they cause" and, like the original within 5 minutes I was laughing so hard I was struggling to breathe. The pace does die off around the middle third but overall, as a fan, it was really enjoyable and I'll definitely watch it again.

For those who aren't diehard fans the animation is basic, the story in fanciful at best, the music is OK but the 2 leads characters are just so unlikeably dumb I can see it getting frustrating to watch.

The Man From Toronto - 2/10 - I like both Hart and Harrelson but this a massive dud. Harts schtick doesn't work and Harrelson is very clearly walking through this for a pay day and nothing else. Even a Kaley Cuoco cameo can't save this.
The moment he started winding that mechanical leg back I started laughing.

Caporegime
Dr Strange and the Multiverse of Madness

The CGI is as good as ever, but the films of the Marvel Cinematic Universe are feeling increasingly tired. After the punchy finale of the last arc in Endgame, it feels like the power levels have been ramped so high that they don't know where to go. Watching a character use CGI to defeat the CGI of another character may look fantastic but it's hard to have any feeling of real stakes. When it's impossible to judge the limits of what they can do, any fight scene feels unengaging since it's simply an orgy of effects. That's made even worse in this film by the multiverse theme, when there's a infinite (or at least huge) number of universes what is special about "our" universe? Yet it is very much treated as special by the film, when powerful superheroes of another universe are slain it has little punch and is treated as having little punch. When our "hero" casually brutalises a street vendor in this other world for the shocking crime of *gasp* wanting them to pay for their food it's treated as a joke not a shocking abuse of power. Meanwhile the overarching plot about Scarlet Witch
going evil out of the emotional aftermath of Vision being killed and coming out of it due to her lingering humanity at the end, was done much much better by Wandavision and the repeat here feels like it robs the vastly better series of its satisfying character resolution

The MCU, and superhero movies generally, has dominated the action and blockbuster genres for a long time now. I think we're beginning to see the end of that run.

5/10, nothing to go out of your way for.

Soldato
Just over 3 hours of RRR on Netflix, got a bit crazy near there end with the usual Bollywood action but enjoyable stuff.

Share the same sentiments as above in regards to Marvel films, in the sense they're becoming quite tiring to watch. Definitely couldn't sit through a 3 hour Marvel film these days.

RRR was quite refreshing to watch.

Soldato
Just over 3 hours of RRR on Netflix, got a bit crazy near there end with the usual Bollywood action but enjoyable stuff.

Share the same sentiments as above in regards to Marvel films, in the sense they're becoming quite tiring to watch. Definitely couldn't sit through a 3 hour Marvel film these days.

RRR was quite refreshing to watch.
I also watched RRR after a video by corridor digital. Mental film but very very enjoyable.

Caporegime

Loved RRR. It's not Bollywood though; Bollywood refers to Hindi language films coming out of Mumbai. RRR was shot in Telugu (although Netflix inexplicably has the dubbed Hindi version instead).

Soldato
I think Maverick is one of those films that needs to be experienced on the cinema screen.

I too am waiting for a home release, can't stand Cinema's.

To many people who don't know how to eat quietly, sitting there rustling their packets, makes me want to not only poo through their letterbox but also drop one in their popcorn!

Soldato
Add to that they can't stay off their phones while the film's on, so every so often you get distracted by a smartphone lighting up ...

Haven't been to the cinema since .... Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Totally Ruined Film; not expecting to ever go again.

Back
Top Bottom