Road Cycling

Soldato
We went to the Alps on our honeymoon in 2012 for the first time since I was a kid. We didn’t get in till the very early hours and woke up at about 11am the next morning, seeing the mountains in the sunlight that first day was honestly one of the best moments in my life. Will remember it forever.

Apologies for the random interlude. Normal service will resume shortly.

Soldato
Anything specific to look for in Cycling sunglasses?

I wouldn't mind some with changeable lenses or the photochromic style to allow me to use them on night rides too. Mainly for protecting my eyes after getting a few big chunks of grit/bugs in them last week!

I was looking last week and kept getting scope creep, before deciding i didn't need to spend £70 and got some cheap ones from Halfords for £12 which seem rubbish and will be going straight back. There seem to be a huge range of options. How good are some of the Amazon specials or should i stick to the likes of DHB/Tifosi which seem to sit around the £50 mark?

Soldato
I bought some cheapo ones from Amazon for about £25 that came with a polarized, black and clear lenses.

How good they are compare to some known ones? no idea. I've no frame of reference but they do the trick until I feel like I want to treat myself.

Soldato
How is the new bike, anyway?

Really good. Got out for ~30 miles last Wednesday which was a brilliant idea, until i realised that i'd never spent much time sorting out positions and subsequently did something to my knee, which certainly wasn't ideal prior to a 32 mile run up and down mountains in the Lake District on Saturday!

The guy i bought it from was 6'5 and i hadn't even adjusted the seat down. However, went to do that yesterday and the seat tube is at the lowest it'll go as it's a huge tube, so probably need to cut that by an inch or so to give an idea as to whether that'll help.

Also, huge thanks to @AndyCr15. The cycling jerseys turned up today. Don't forget to send me your details for postage/beer :)

In the spirit of his kindness, there is an Orange DHB Aeron short sleeved top which looks virtually perfect in XL. It's a bit too short for me though, so if anyone else in here wants me to send it on before i look for other places to send it, let me know :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Awesome stuff, man! I bet it feels absoloutely rapid compared to your last bike?

I'm just constantly hitting F5 in my emails hoping my certificate arrives. I'm so impatient and whilst I now know the delivery of the certificate is imminent I still want it right F now!

Soldato
I'm not actually sure it's "that" much faster. I think it's one of those things where the biggest limiting factor is me and my ability. Although i do think i've gained ~1-2mph as an average speed.

Worth checking with the bike shop if you can buy it now, and then when you get the certificate they refund your payment and process the C2W voucher. I did that for my wifes bike since i'm also impatient!

Soldato
I'm not actually sure it's "that" much faster. I think it's one of those things where the biggest limiting factor is me and my ability. Although i do think i've gained ~1-2mph as an average speed.

Worth checking with the bike shop if you can buy it now, and then when you get the certificate they refund your payment and process the C2W voucher. I did that for my wifes bike since i'm also impatient!
That's not an bad idea actually. I think my works finance team are due to do a BACS run some point this week. If it hasn't gone through by then, that is exactly what I'll do I think.

Soldato
It'll depend on retailer though. With Wheelbase, their Ilkley branch would do it, but the Lake District one wouldn't. Which was daft as the bike was in the Lake District and they had to drive it to Ilkley for me!

First commute for me this morning. Legs still a bit trashed from the weekends run, but i made it in. Used a regular rucksack which left my back a bit sweaty, but other than that i was ok, and nothing a change of top couldn't fix. Also switched over those road pedals. Clipping in is much easier than on the MTB style cleats which was nice, however a bit more effort getting the pedal into position due to the slippy sole. I believe some of the Shimano pedals have weights which generally hold the pedal in the right position which would be good.

Only downside was i adjusted the tension on the first pedal i fitted, but then forgot to do it on the other side, so getting into the office this morning i couldn't twist out. Had to take the shoe off and then use my hands to really force the twist!

Back
Top Bottom