Laptop keyed full size keyboards ideally with metal surrounds?

Permabanned
Love my old 2010 imacs full size brushed ally thin spec lappy keyed keyboard...
not in a rush to get rid but is there a modern equivalent other than literally buying the Bluetooth modern mac ones?
I absolutely hate how tacky and cheap all these plastic massive old school keyed windows keys. plus I find the tighter spacing and flat laptop keys so much more usable and aesthetically pleasing...

Permabanned
OP
think I'm gonna stick with my trusty 2010 mac one or be posh and get the sexy wireless apple magic keyboard
s-l1600.jpg

Soldato
thanks for the suggestion but i really hate how that looks/espesh the dimpled keys.
OK, whatever. Both are a slab of space grey metal with plastic keys. :confused:

Works well though. I've got both and prefer it to an Apple keyboard - the dimples work. It's cross platform, and you can connect up to three devices to it then switch with a keypress.

I buy a keyboard to use, not primarily for how it looks. Maybe that's just me! ;)

Permabanned
OP
OK, whatever. Both are a slab of space grey metal with plastic keys. :confused:

Works well though. I've got both and prefer it to an Apple keyboard - the dimples work. It's cross platform, and you can connect up to three devices to it then switch with a keypress.

I buy a keyboard to use, not primarily for how it looks. Maybe that's just me! ;)
graphite grey ;) and laser cut ally ;) but they do it in space grey too haha. I'm only messing.
I'm not trying to sound like a pleb I'm just very anal about something that's tactile and that cost silly money regardless - especially considering this stupid loud asf noisey cheap plastic fest 'mechanical' keyboard scene kid phase everyone is going for. who their right mind wants 80s looking keyboards with stupidly long travel keys that are insanely noisey/spongy. it's beyond me. as with this stupid 60% size stuff! and at upto £3-500 WTAF!?
give me lappy keys with hardly any travel that don't flop about in a thin full size layout ANY day!

Soldato
graphite grey ;) and laser cut ally ;) but they do it in space grey too haha. I'm only messing.
I'm not trying to sound like a pleb I'm just very anal about something that's tactile and that cost silly money regardless - especially considering this stupid loud asf noisey cheap plastic fest 'mechanical' keyboard scene kid phase everyone is going for. who their right mind wants 80s looking keyboards with stupidly long travel keys that are insanely noisey/spongy. it's beyond me. as with this stupid 60% size stuff! and at upto £3-500 WTAF!?
give me lappy keys with hardly any travel that don't flop about in a thin full size layout ANY day!

God job you're only messing as next to my space grey MacBook Pro the MX Keys looks damn near the same shade... ;)

I use both types. MX keys mainly for work, cause my mechanical board isn't a pleasant experience for others when on a Zoom call. Mechanical for gaming. Then again I was brought up on 80s/90s computers with mechanical switches.

Permabanned
OP
God job you're only messing as next to my space grey MacBook Pro the MX Keys looks damn near the same shade... ;)

I use both types. MX keys mainly for work, cause my mechanical board isn't a pleasant experience for others when on a Zoom call. Mechanical for gaming. Then again I was brought up on 80s/90s computers with mechanical switches.
remember they do do both space grey AND graphite grey and you obviously are aware they're worlds apart colour wise haha ;)
yeah that's fair. I love the fact you have both mate - a unbiased man of my own heart.

yeah mechanical noise fest is just ear aids to me mate. yeah so was I but I mean people thinking some massive clunky 80s spec keyboard looks nice paired with sexy modern slim/thin/brushed ally/posh looking (it better bet considering how much shiz costs now!) is just insulting to the nice stuff? know what I mean?

I mean why oh WHY would you put THIS next to a super tasty slim monitor/wired or wireless modern mouse/mitx/matx build
iu

Soldato
remember they do do both space grey AND graphite grey and you obviously are aware they're worlds apart colour wise haha ;)
yeah that's fair. I love the fact you have both mate - a unbiased man of my own heart.

yeah mechanical noise fest is just ear aids to me mate. yeah so was I but I mean people thinking some massive clunky 80s spec keyboard looks nice paired with sexy modern slim/thin/brushed ally/posh looking (it better bet considering how much shiz costs now!) is just insulting to the nice stuff? know what I mean?

I mean why oh WHY would you put THIS next to a super tasty slim monitor/wired or wireless modern mouse/mitx/matx build
iu
Cause they feel awesome? I really shouldn't have sold the Model M I had with the PS/2 I used at Uni.

That said ... they're still made. Unicomp will do you one in modern colours.

Still wouldn't use it on a Zoom call, my flatmates at Uni used to complain about the clacking when they were trying to concentrate. :D

Permabanned
OP
Cause they feel awesome? I really shouldn't have sold the Model M I had with the PS/2 I used at Uni.

That said ... they're still made. Unicomp will do you one in modern colours.

Still wouldn't use it on a Zoom call, my flatmates at Uni used to complain about the clacking when they were trying to concentrate. :D
It really doesn't though? It's cheap tat. horrific key travel, stupidly bowed for no reason, missing a windows or option key, looks aids and is just bandwagon 'retro cool' over hyped junk that people on YT bang on about. on a retro period correct machine cool but modern... not for sheet! I also remember keyboards of that era not liking multiple keys being pressed at once so was shocking for gaming lol

Soldato
Cheap tat? I can only assume you've never used an original Model M. They weigh over 2.5kg having a solid metal baseplate. It doubles up as an offensive weapon if you don't have a cricket bat handy.

Rollover you've got a point although it wasn't really an issue with a 386. The Apple stuff is still limited to 4KRO. MX Keys is 6KRO.

Permabanned
OP
Cheap tat? I can only assume you've never used an original Model M. They weigh over 2.5kg having a solid metal baseplate. It doubles up as an offensive weapon if you don't have a cricket bat handy.

Rollover you've got a point although it wasn't really an issue with a 386. The Apple stuff is still limited to 4KRO. MX Keys is 6KRO.
I have but I mean the plastic fest of the top surround and keys is next level triggering me haha. I love how you defend it to the death and respect that :p ;) I'm only messing but cmon it's had it's day and this is just a fad all these silly plastic 'customised' £300-500 keyboards. it'll be like the max power era with cars in 5-10 years and people will think wtaf was I thinking lol!

I think those apple keys are just right travel wise tbh. and don't worry I'm not some apple hoe, there's stuff they make that sucks too like the magic mouse lol.

but some stuff is just on point and way ahead of it's time. I mean take my 2010 or older wired version of the magic keyboard, laser cut ally surround thin as **** dual usbs... the wireless one above is literally the same but wireless... yet mine was pre 2010 on other models whilst plastic fest windows keyboards existed...

as with the 08 unibody macbook pros laser cut out of ally with glass screens and buttonless multi touch and clickable touchpads... and the legendary g5 and mac pro chassis - you'd have either regardless of the OS it ran - of which you could put whatever on anyway - hence why I have 2 unibodies and a mac pro. however these days I def prefer my samsung phones to iphones - they certainly don't require replacement parts like my iphones did despite never dropping them once!

here's a case in point non bias anti apple example I totally am in agreeance with haha
Originally Posted by Fraz regarding the Apple Mighty Mouse
I just got so fed up with this thing for it's crappy erratically working scroll ball and poor right-click detection that I just threw it against a wall and it exploded.

Good riddance. Wish I'd done it about a year ago.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom