The µ43 thread - welcome to the really dark side

Soldato
I'm still on M43 and have no need to move to another system. Just need a nice wide angled lens to complete a decent setup I've put together over a 3 year period
Are you using Olympus or Panasonic body?
Unless Panasonic has updated it silently, AR coatings of Lumix G 7-14mm are designed for tighter ~415-420nm UV cut filter than what at least some Olympus bodies have.
That was one of the first lenses released after introduction of mirrorless Four Thirds, so guess Panasonic didn't think far ahead.
AR coatings of newer lenses like Leica DG 8-18mm's are fine for Olympus bodies.

Soldato
Just have this urge for the smaller lenses for travel and walk abouts.

I’ve been eyeing up the em1iii, does anyone have experience with this? Quality of the photos good? I have the original em5, still and a couple of ok lenses. With my a7ii I have the 24-105mm lens, while this is decent, I often find I’m needing the extra reach, so I do need another lens. But with a holiday coming up shortly, I’d want the 24-200 range and this is just getting heavier and heavier to carry about.

so that’s where I’m at currently, em1iii and the Olympus 12-100 f4 pro. That’ll give the 24-200 range and I’ll also only need to carry one lens with me for my trips. Does this sound like a right move?
If after light package for usual vacation photos, Olympus has one of the longest zoom range lenses for that in 12-200mm.
Of course it isn't technically as good as 12-100mm:
As usual for super zoom lenses edges/corners aren't as sharp, aperture drops fast from wide angle and tele end isn't the sharpest.
But what it loses in there it trades for huge flexibility/versatility in single, for its range, very compact and light lens and still has weather sealing.

Soldato
Are you using Olympus or Panasonic body?
Unless Panasonic has updated it silently, AR coatings of Lumix G 7-14mm are designed for tighter ~415-420nm UV cut filter than what at least some Olympus bodies have.
That was one of the first lenses released after introduction of mirrorless Four Thirds, so guess Panasonic didn't think far ahead.
AR coatings of newer lenses like Leica DG 8-18mm's are fine for Olympus bodies.

I am using Panasonic bodies, usually the G9 and GX9.

If I do go go for a UWA lens, it'll likely be the Leica DG 8-18 as I have the Leica DG 12-60. The 10-25 is a great lens but just too expensive to justify, I am a hobbyist.

I don't like the 7-14 mm due to it not being able to take a filter.

Soldato
I am using Panasonic bodies, usually the G9 and GX9.

If I do go go for a UWA lens, it'll likely be the Leica DG 8-18 as I have the Leica DG 12-60. The 10-25 is a great lens but just too expensive to justify, I am a hobbyist.

I don't like the 7-14 mm due to it not being able to take a filter.
Use of filters in ultra wides is anyway problematic.
There's very high chance for clear increase in vignetting and in case of polarizer effect can vary lot on different spots of FOV.
But weather sealing is nice thing, unless living in only dry climate.
Also Leica DG's built quality is better than in Lumix G 7-14mm, while still keeping nice light weight. (unlike M.Zuiko 7-14mm)

Besides price 10-25mm wouldn't be much wider than 12-60mm.

Soldato
Anyone looking at either the new Olympus/OM Systems OM-1 or Panasonic GH6?

Having only acquired the G9 last year, the GH6 and OM-1 both look like great cameras but I feel that Panasonic may release a G9 successor with their new 25MP sensor, the GH6 is lacking some of the photo modes I was hoping would be there. The 4K/6K photo modes and live composite which is also not in the G9.

The GH6 is clearly a video centric model with the plethora of video features and unless Panasonic are going to bring in more photo features via firmware it looks like the OM-1 is the better photography camera.

I am not concerned about CAF, I seldomly shoot birds in flight or sports.

Oh, the fan, I doubt a photo centric model would require it and this would result in a smaller body, hopefully.

Caporegime
I'm going to wait for a G9 successor. The GH6 sensor and EVF in a slightly more compact and lighter body would be perfect. Especially if they kept the top screen of the G9.

I'm using a G9 and S5 and was hoping to keep a bit of both systems long term.

Caporegime
Out of curiosity, what do you use the S5 for? I've been eyeing one up but just justify a need for it.

To be honest I use it for anything that doesn't need a long lens. Portraits, travel stuff, kids photos. The difference in good light is minimal but indoors I was quite taken aback how much more leeway you get with cranking the ISO. Overly thin DoF is an issue though and still getting used to this. Very easy to shoot everything wide open and be disappointed with too much OOF area.

It's nice game changing though. In some ways thr G9 is a better camera, the EVF is higher res and I hadn't raised how useful the top screen is.

I have little to no photography talent so take my words with a pinch of salt as I don't push any of this gear to its limit. I'm also a total noob when it comes to flash.

Last edited:
Associate
Well, i got a em1iii delivered on friday. Probably going up on ebay on monday haha. It's a decent camera and im sure for video its decent too, but for stills...for me the quality isn't there. I'll still have a wee play about over the weekend and decide then.

Associate
What lens are you using?

I've got the 12-40mm pro lens(the first one, didnt know their was a mk2 till this morning). I will say, the quality is possibly down to me pixel peeping and would probably make no difference in print/social. Will keep it for a few weeks and i'll print some stuff out. Their is a high chance i'll need to fiddle about with some settings. I do have a massive soft spot Olympus, so i'd like to make this work
Just got an Olympus OM1 today.

Hopefully a good upgrade to my em1mk2.

Matt

I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Associate
I've got the 12-40mm pro lens(the first one, didnt know their was a mk2 till this morning). I will say, the quality is possibly down to me pixel peeping and would probably make no difference in print/social. Will keep it for a few weeks and i'll print some stuff out. Their is a high chance i'll need to fiddle about with some settings. I do have a massive soft spot Olympus, so i'd like to make this work

Initial thoughts it's a big step up from the em1 mk2, it feels better to me which I know there's been a few saying the opposite. Body is bigger but sits in my hand better, though will take time to get used to where the buttons sit. Buttons feel stiff but quality, again a few have said they're too stiff but only time will tell. they are slightly recessed which feels a little bit strange but having gone through the menu a few times they are feeling better and if it helps weather sealing its all good.

Menu system has changed and will take time to get used to as just kinda got used to the em1mk2.

Focus and tracking feels fast, very fast but again won't know until I get out and about with it.

Hopefully going out chasing owls tonight if the weather calms down a bit so will see how it fares.

matt

Associate

Went out for the first time with the camera last night, weather was dull and overcast and very windy. Went to my owl spot nothing but as I was returning about 21:30 I saw a little owl on a lampost so thought I'd give it a go.

Rather stupidly I'd setup bird tracking as I was expecting to be doing that, however I couldn't remember how to turn it off so took a few shots with tracking on and all I can say is it managed a few shots in ISO 6400, normally I wont bother with anything above ISO3200 with the EM1mk2, well they all came out as usable shots so all I can say so far am impressed.

Regards image quality, the image is very much a muchness so no real difference, but with the new camera I now have higher ISO available to me which was definitely worth the investment.

Matt

Associate
Went out for the first time with the camera last night, weather was dull and overcast and very windy. Went to my owl spot nothing but as I was returning about 21:30 I saw a little owl on a lampost so thought I'd give it a go.

Rather stupidly I'd setup bird tracking as I was expecting to be doing that, however I couldn't remember how to turn it off so took a few shots with tracking on and all I can say is it managed a few shots in ISO 6400, normally I wont bother with anything above ISO3200 with the EM1mk2, well they all came out as usable shots so all I can say so far am impressed.

Regards image quality, the image is very much a muchness so no real difference, but with the new camera I now have higher ISO available to me which was definitely worth the investment.

Matt
Yeah i can imagine being able to use higher iso would be a worthy investment. Would love to go out and see owls though, think i've seen one in the past 10 years. Weather here's been pretty poor this week, so i've not managed to get out and have a play with the em1iii. Next weeks dry, so fingers crossed i can do something then. Already eyeing up the 40-150 2.8 pro and 1.4 teleconverter.

Associate
Yeah i can imagine being able to use higher iso would be a worthy investment. Would love to go out and see owls though, think i've seen one in the past 10 years. Weather here's been pretty poor this week, so i've not managed to get out and have a play with the em1iii. Next weeks dry, so fingers crossed i can do something then. Already eyeing up the 40-150 2.8 pro and 1.4 teleconverter.
Was out after the Barn Owls again, saw them but managed to fluff my settings so of little to no use, did manage to find some other Owls and images are superb again even though in low light - am using the 300mm f4 with 1.4 tc handheld.

What pics did you take that you were not exactly happy with?

Most of my shots that I post are with very little postprocessing as it doesn't interest me, but am happy with what I get out of the little Olympus cameras I own.

Matt

Associate
Was out after the Barn Owls again, saw them but managed to fluff my settings so of little to no use, did manage to find some other Owls and images are superb again even though in low light - am using the 300mm f4 with 1.4 tc handheld.

What pics did you take that you were not exactly happy with?

Most of my shots that I post are with very little postprocessing as it doesn't interest me, but am happy with what I get out of the little Olympus cameras I own.

Matt
I think it was more down to user error with the camera. using different settings from FF to m4/3. I had the focus settings wrong too. Sunday looks like the next best day, so we'll hopefully get out then.

Associate
loving the owl photos @Matt_Hirst - what sort of settings were you using on that last one? I'm pretty tempted (with the help of a nice tax rebate) to make the jump to the om1 from my em5 mark iii, if only for the high iso performance!
Hi,

I believe ISO2000 it was a fairly bright, though quite a late evening - if you go to my flickr account all the settings are in there for the images. Lens was 300mm f4 with 1.4tc.

From an EM1 mk2 the new camera image quality is not better, however, ISO management and consistency of noise is on total a different level which obviously improves images - I know contradict myself but ISO3200 EM1mk2 was the limit for me, close shots were good but as distance increases the degradation in detail was too much to live with. The Om1 the noise is handled so much better that I am just not worried about the distance as much.

The Om1 is a lot of money though, however, way I look at it it's a hobby for me and I might only get the chance to get the picture once so you've got to give yourself the best chance possible of coming away with something - hence the OM1.

Oh tried the 150-400 OMFG that is very impressive, image quality similar to the 300mmf4 but the versatility of it being a zoom!!! Maybe next year, see how things go.

Matt

Back
Top Bottom