******Official Star Citizen / Squadron 42 Thread******

Soldato
Upgrading via the CCU shop and real money, you replace the original ship with the new one. You keep all the extra's such as life time insurance that the original had, is my understanding. It's worth reading up on though as there's multiple different things to take into consideration. CCU chain, warbond, if you'll ever want to gift it or refund it etc.

If you mean changing components in game then you can change the loadout while the ship is stored. The ship needs to be in the same station as the component to be fitted.
Do they only sell some ships at any one time? I had a look and could only see some that you could buy.

Associate
Do they only sell some ships at any one time? I had a look and could only see some that you could buy.
Yes. They seem to have a default few all year around and then the rest go up at special events. Invictus, Alien week, and there's another big one due in November. There's probably going to be a sale of some kind next week on the freefly event as well.

edit:
If you buy another starter package, it's a new character linked to your account. So you can't buy 2 starter packs and have both ships on one character by default. But what you can do is gift one of the ships to one of the characters. You can gift most things bought in the store to other people.

CCU upgrade chains are where you start with a cheaper item and then upgrade it to another one. These chains can get quite long but you often save a bit of money. And you keep the extras from the starting item. This is how you get Life time insurance on anything / the more expensive things.

At the Invictus week the other month, there was a wee transport truck thing called the Mule which came with lifetime insurance. People were buying loads of them and then CCU chaining them up into other ships to get the insurance and save a little.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yes. They seem to have a default few all year around and then the rest go up at special events. Invictus, Alien week, and there's another big one due in November. There's probably going to be a sale of some kind next week on the freefly event as well.

edit:
If you buy another starter package, it's a new character linked to your account. So you can't buy 2 starter packs and have both ships on one character by default. But what you can do is gift one of the ships to one of the characters. You can gift most things bought in the store to other people.

CCU upgrade chains are where you start with a cheaper item and then upgrade it to another one. These chains can get quite long but you often save a bit of money. And you keep the extras from the starting item. This is how you get Life time insurance on anything / the more expensive things.

At the Invictus week the other month, there was a wee transport truck thing called the Mule which came with lifetime insurance. People were buying loads of them and then CCU chaining them up into other ships to get the insurance and save a little.
Cheers, very good tips. To be honest I haven't got much idea of what's what yet with SC. I have the Mustang Alpha starter package and know I don't know enough to buy anything else. Any tips on what to go for next, or a reference that compares them would be great.

Associate
Cheers, very good tips. To be honest I haven't got much idea of what's what yet with SC. I have the Mustang Alpha starter package and know I don't know enough to buy anything else. Any tips on what to go for next, or a reference that compares them would be great.
My pov is buy nothing until you get into your stride in game and playing regularly and know what things you want to do. That's what I've done. I' started with the Titan and been very happy with it in game. I do want the Gladius or another fighter as this will allow me to do Arena Commander and the harder pve/pvp ship missions. Then I'd be looking at a larger ship. I'll probably look at the corvette/gunships as I'm not interested in cargo hauling.

All the ships can be bought with in game creds though although there will be more player wipes in the future. The ships are personal choice for what you will be doing and who you'll be playing with. I think all the heavy fighters have manned turrets so they lose a lot of dps if you don't have people to play with.All the larger ships need other players to crew turrets/systems. In theory down at some point there will be AI crew you can high to rent things. One day, over the rainbow, far far away etc.

Arena Commander forces you to own ships with real money. It has it's own credits system that you get for playing however ship prices seem insanely high, to the point of it not being possible to grind out the required credits every 3 days. Yes, items are rented for X amount every 3 days it seems.

Ships are expensive imo to buy with real money though. Ship balance is also all over the place and changing.

Soldato
Honestly purchase ships in game as you earn. However wait till 3.17.2 to play solid to earn such as a wipe is coming to clear the database of duplication issues and such forth. Also honestly expect another in 3 or so months with 3.18 and again come 4.0. These will be very turbulent times ahead with the game for at least 9 months as they move so much core code about to suit true persistence and server meshing.

Soldato
My pov is buy nothing until you get into your stride in game and playing regularly and know what things you want to do. That's what I've done. I' started with the Titan and been very happy with it in game. I do want the Gladius or another fighter as this will allow me to do Arena Commander and the harder pve/pvp ship missions. Then I'd be looking at a larger ship. I'll probably look at the corvette/gunships as I'm not interested in cargo hauling.

All the ships can be bought with in game creds though although there will be more player wipes in the future. The ships are personal choice for what you will be doing and who you'll be playing with. I think all the heavy fighters have manned turrets so they lose a lot of dps if you don't have people to play with.All the larger ships need other players to crew turrets/systems. In theory down at some point there will be AI crew you can high to rent things. One day, over the rainbow, far far away etc.

Arena Commander forces you to own ships with real money. It has it's own credits system that you get for playing however ship prices seem insanely high, to the point of it not being possible to grind out the required credits every 3 days. Yes, items are rented for X amount every 3 days it seems.

Ships are expensive imo to buy with real money though. Ship balance is also all over the place and changing.
Thanks, that seems to tally with my impression of the game. I'd only use real money at the low end, anything more expensive will have to come from in game currency. Obviously a lot I haven't even heard of let alone tried, Arena Commander is a new one to me. Once I get a new GPU, going to be a new gen one, I'll search out some experience people to play with. I used to pay Eve, many moons ago so I'm used to vertical learning curves, but actual experience helps a lot to pick things up.

Soldato
Honestly purchase ships in game as you earn. However wait till 3.17.2 to play solid to earn such as a wipe is coming to clear the database of duplication issues and such forth. Also honestly expect another in 3 or so months with 3.18 and again come 4.0. These will be very turbulent times ahead with the game for at least 9 months as they move so much core code about to suit true persistence and server meshing.
Ok thanks for the heads up. I'm intending to just learn the ropes and get a good overview, probably going to take 9 months by the sound of it! Might be 3 months or so until the new GPU's are out too. Are there any third party sites worth going to that have useful information? I presume SC has a big meta game going on?

Associate
Thanks, that seems to tally with my impression of the game. I'd only use real money at the low end, anything more expensive will have to come from in game currency. Obviously a lot I haven't even heard of let alone tried, Arena Commander is a new one to me. Once I get a new GPU, going to be a new gen one, I'll search out some experience people to play with. I used to pay Eve, many moons ago so I'm used to vertical learning curves, but actual experience helps a lot to pick things up.

Arena Commanders the pvp game mode separate to the PU. There's a few game modes both singleplayer and multi with racing, free fly, battle royal etc. Great if you want to test controls or have some combat without worrying about death.

The difficulty is a strange one. Read and watch some YT guides and it's all quite straightforward while also having nothing explained to you in game. Then add bugs and you get "wtf just happened" and it all gets a little messy. But when it works it's amazing. Flying is the only big skill check I've found and a lot of that is muscle memory.

For pvp and arena commander and pvp the meta is huge. In the PU it just doesn't matter in the same way. If someone tries to attack you currently it's easy to get away. Pilot skill matters far more than the ship type but if you're flying a giant cargo transport and someone in a fighter turns up. Yes you have guns and turrets but they "should" be able to kill you given enough time to tickle your shields down. etc etc. :)

Soldato
Ok thanks for the heads up. I'm intending to just learn the ropes and get a good overview, probably going to take 9 months by the sound of it! Might be 3 months or so until the new GPU's are out too. Are there any third party sites worth going to that have useful information? I presume SC has a big meta game going on?

Aye fair that. In terms of info and third party. Check through this link

Star Citizen Resources Megalist

It has just about anything needed. Indeed there is Meta with this as with any game because components and such stats wise, I don't think anything will get around that because of what it is. People always say about balance and that, but that isn't how things work in real life either. There is a meta to tanks, airplanes and such and yeah some are similar but as always there is generally things that are obviously better.

Soldato
Aye fair that. In terms of info and third party. Check through this link

Star Citizen Resources Megalist

It has just about anything needed. Indeed there is Meta with this as with any game because components and such stats wise, I don't think anything will get around that because of what it is. People always say about balance and that, but that isn't how things work in real life either. There is a meta to tanks, airplanes and such and yeah some are similar but as always there is generally things that are obviously better.
Great I'll have a look at that. I remember how much Eve changed, you could have a few months off and the meta be totally different, especially after the nerf bat came out. The community looks pretty decent too, I miss the old subscription MMOs, always seemed to have a better community before F2P arrived and the masses took them up!

Caporegime
For those who didn't see the decrypted Banu and Xi'an messages.

Xi'an:

VITAL NOTICE TO CITIZENS OF THE XI’AN EMPIRE REGARDING HUMAN TERRORIST GROUP XENOTHREAT​

This update provides citizens of the Xi’an Empire with general information regarding criminal activity, terrorist violence, or political violence that is transpiring beyond our borders, as well as information on domestic threats. All Houses are required to take heed.

Be aware that the Human group known as “XenoThreat” has shown a sharp increase in terrorist activity in the United Empire of Earth systems Stanton and Pyro. This group is comparable in size and influence to an important Xi’an Yu’a House. Though their repeated invasions of the Stanton system have been rebuffed, the Human government has so far failed to annihilate this dangerous group, despite XenoThreat’s announcement that they will continue their heinous and unprovoked attacks. The location of their home base in the Stanton-adjoining system Pyro makes them a clear and present danger to all who reside in or travel through the sector.

XenoThreat is intent on attacking non-Humans. They do so without provocation, and with the intent to kill. They may use handheld weapons, non-conventional weapons, or their spacecraft to target non-Humans and non-Human vessels. Many members of XenoThreat seem to be familiar with military tactics. If you are approached by a strange vessel while operating your spacecraft, do not respond to any hails or otherwise engage. Flee to the nearest safe location. It is unclear at this time how wide this violent sentiment against our people has spread among Humans or if it remains specific to this group. House Krē will continue to monitor the situation and provide further updates as needed.

Travelers throughout these systems are urged to do so in groups. It is best to accompany other members of your House. Those who must travel alone are advised to pay close attention to their surroundings. If you believe yourself to be in danger, please contact the Xi’an consulate on ArcCorp and you will be assisted.

In the event XenoThreat launches another coordinated invasion of the Stanton system, please exit the system as soon as possible through the Magnus or Terra jump points. Those who cannot flee are advised to retreat to the nearest Xi’an friendly location and await the end of hostilities.

Banu:

You need the Zona Souli to protect you.​

Greetings.

If you are receiving this message, it is because you are in the Stanton System and in need of protection. The Zona Souli is ready to protect you. We are the best at protecting Banu. Our ships are very deadly with many weapons and piloted by skilled fighters. Our service is very expensive but our contract states you are only in debt to us if the majority of your Souli doesn’t die. The Zona are very rich so we must be very good at keeping lots of people alive.

What if we do not need protection because no one is against us?

That is wrong. The Human Souli XenoThreat hates aliens and they actually attack aliens. To XenoThreat Humans, Banu are aliens. If you are Banu, then XenoThreat will attack you. These attacks are not even for benefiting themselves. Even if you do not have any goods in your hold, they will still attack you. XenoThreat Humans do not make sense at all. But if you have a contract with Zona Souli and XenoThreat attacks you, then Zona Souli will protect you and your Souli will still be alive and will
go on to gain much fortune.

What if we already gave tithings to Taernin or Kassa to protect us on this trip?

That is good. Zona Souli messaging you is how the gods prefer to protect you. This is very lucky because we are so strong and good at protecting you like no other. The gods truly offer you favor and you should contract with our Souli.

What if our Souli is very strong and we do not need protection?

That opinion is fatally wrong. XenoThreat is stronger than you are. They have big ships called Idris. Their Souli has many members. They have many weapons too. They do not care about prosperity and will die for no reason if it means success in brutally killing you. Fighting them will cost you too much. It will assuredly conserve your wealth to hire the Zona to fight against them for you! When XenoThreat shoots at ships, it those will be our ships. Doing business with us is cheaper than making any repairs. When XenoThreat kills Banu, it will be Zona members who die. Trading with us is cheaper than seeking out and finding new members for your Souli. Being strong is good, but not having to fight is better. Zona Souli will fight for you.

What if you ask Humans to protect you from XenoThreat Humans?

This is a mistake. Humans cannot even protect themselves from XenoThreat Humans. And even if a Human Souli like the Civilian Defense Force does come to help you, that will be free! Do you want to trust free protection over expensive protection, really?!?
As is obvious now, if you go to the Staton System, contracting with Zona Souli is the right choice.

May our business together enrich us both and see our Soulis flourish!

Associate
Did JumpTown yesterday. That's an interesting mix of free for all and people just wanting to farm it for credits. Most people seem to want to team up, conga line it and get a huge pay day.

It seems far more geared for an org to lock the area down with a ton of air cover. With a few people loading up a ship. The packages don't take a lot of space either.

I will say the ground game is dead until they figure out a way of stopping people hovering in the air with a ship.

Last edited:
Soldato
Did JumpTown yesterday. That's an interesting mix of free for all and people just wanting to farm it for credits. Most people seem to want to team up, conga line it and get a huge pay day.

It seems far more geared for an org to lock the area down with a ton of air cover. With a few people loading up a ship. The packages don't take a lot of space either.

I will say the ground game is dead until they figure out a way of stopping people hovering in the air with a ship.
I'm sure there will be a few changes once players have found ways to control things. Of course the answer could be to come in with a superior force and push them out. I don't like things too locked down as it removes the unpredictability, obviously a balance needs to be struck.

Back
Top Bottom