• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

30xx Series Founders Edition

Soldato
I've been playing Watch Dogs: Legion and I've turned down the texture resolution to medium (down from Ultra), to see if it would stabilise the framerate to 50+ in all scenes. Basically, the answer is yes. You can get much higher framerates than this at 4K with DLSS enabled, but only with RT off. I can only guess that the game has some pretty bad problems with texture streaming, open world Ubisoft games seem to be much worse for this than other similar titles from other developers.

It's also very dependent on the storage device used for the game, about a year ago I installed the game on a 2TB Crucial BX500 (Quad Level Cell based), and I found out that this drive was generating thousands of read errors every few minutes, causing in game pauses (usually ~30 seconds). I sold and replaced the drive with an MLC based SSD and the issue was gone.

What would benefit texture streaming more for Ubisoft games, a faster CPU (e.g. 8 P-core Alder Lake, or better), or a next gen graphics card?

EDIT - The framerate is much more stable (54 FPS+) on Medium texture resolution, rather than High or ultra. I'm guessing that this is one game that would benefit from a 8 P-core 12th gen Intel CPU at the High or Ultra setting.

The framerate is even better on the low textures setting.

Even on Medium textures, the CPU utilization for all cores is spiking at 95% in this game, with RT (medium) enabled. I'm sure that this is a game that uses a lot of CPU cache also, as the cache ratio can dip in this game (depending on CPU BIOS settings). Maybe a game that would benefit a lot from the 5800X3D's extra L3 cache?

Has anyone got much experience with what the texture streaming performance is like in Farcry 6? I heard there were some problems with texture streaming in that game.

Last edited:
Associate
This conversation comes up every single time there's a new generation. People hear that the new x80 card will exceed the current x80ti/x90 performance and then can't accept that the price will equal the current x80 price.

The 4080 will retail for around £650 give or take 10%.

The component shortage is not something that has been a fact "every time". I'm actually an electronics designer and right now part selection is dictated on what you can actually buy instead of what you'd really want. I end up using microcontrollers in inconvenient packages because people do not like to use such, so they're in stock more or less.

Until the new fabs come online, it's not going to change. And there's shortage on sundries like I said, not just high end processors and GPUs.

Soldato
So, I think I've figured out what's going on with Watch Dogs:Legion. It seems that allowing the game to render more frames has quite a drastic effect on the CPU utilization of some of the cores. Setting the in game FPS limit to 55 seems to prevent any of the CPU cores from becoming fully saturated (but they come close), and it avoids drops in frame rate. It could be that the game can manage the CPU resources more effectively if the frame rate is capped. The utilization of the CPU cores varies quite a bit, depending on where you are in the game world, so a hard issue to track down.

So, if you have a faster CPU than me, it should be less of an issue.

I'm sure I saw something similar going on with Assassin's Creed Odyssey when I played it a while ago. I suppose this is why limiting console frame rates has become the norm.

Last edited:
Soldato
Well you say that miners and scalper, mining is dying out, but there's a lot of people i should imagine that have been trying to get a 30 series card and then have decided to wait for the 40 series, so we'll see how much more demand there is given that more gamers will want them than normal as they're a generation behind on their upgrade cycle..

Soldato
Well you say that miners and scalper, mining is dying out, but there's a lot of people i should imagine that have been trying to get a 30 series card and then have decided to wait for the 40 series, so we'll see how much more demand there is given that more gamers will want them than normal as they're a generation behind on their upgrade cycle..

Nv already foreshadowed the supply issues they will have - to keep prices high. Got to keep those shareholders happy.

Soldato
Anything driver related happened re boost clocks?

I've always undervolted mine. After a reinstall of OS, ive noticed my 3080fe boosting to 2000/1980 most of the time. It use to be 1950.

Back
Top Bottom