VW R32 or something similar?

Associate
The Ulez expansion looks to be calling my hand in trading up my current diesel as simple journeys will end up costing me more. I always intended to run the car to moon miles as did motorway journeys until recently.

I have a budget of around 15k but would prefer to spend around 10k and put the rest to maintenance or fund the family wagon which also needs replacing at some point.

I have always had a soft spot for the VW R32 MK4 and MK5. Apart from the high road tax it seems to cover a lot of what looking for doing 50 odd miles a week.

The other ones are Edition 30 MK5 GTI, standard MK5 GTI or the Audi variants from similar era. Others that crop up are m135i, 130i or even a C55.

As you can see it is all over the shop. As I don't do many miles in the car and commute locally just want something that is far removed from the diesel.

Man of Honour
I'd imagine a R32 MK4 these days will cost you more in maintenance than you'd save from ULEZ charges.

Though one of the guys at work has been running one for at least the last 16 years (not sure exactly how long) and it has been solid other than replacing a water pump.

I've been mulling over getting a VR6 of that era again but likely would be a money pit without having the experience and tools to do work on them myself at this point.

Associate
OP
I did think just stump up the Ulez for the journeys we do into the zone but that could start mounting up if both me and my partner so different visits. Having to think about if we make the journey to see someone or a planned activity would also soon get annoying.

For now it is next August after the consultation but trying to think in advance to budget for any change.

The MK4 has certainly crept up after doing a quick look on AT. The current mile muncher is still functional hence not sure which way to go but always wanted to run something for a couple of years that wasn't so boring and non-engaging.

Man of Honour
Pretty much anything you'd want to buy has crept up in price lately :( I was looking around for a runabout which was at least mildly interesting and anything reasonable priced (by last few years standard) was horrific either in looks/colour/spec or condition.

Associate
OP
The price creep has got me looking at these older models and they keep increasing also. I had originally look to get a m135i or m140i but they have gone silly money also along with any mk7/7/5 VWs.

I even looked at e46 m3 or e92 but they are going up and up also.

Ideally just want something that is fun for short blasts to work, weekend trips and maybe keeps it value a little to shift on later.

Associate
OP
Does it have to be six cylinders?

I doesn't neccisarily have to be six cylinders but was more for the noise and drama for the short bursts of driving I would end up doing as use the other half's car for the more mundane long journeys we need to make as a family. Saying that drove a friends 3.0d 4 series today but even though it was rapid it had no sense of ocassion if you know what I mean.

What did you have in mind if not six?

Soldato
I can vouch for the 130i having owned one.. get yourself into the 130i owners unite Facebook group as you'll find some good examples come up for sale there. They've not gone up in price to my knowledge, so it's definitely not all cars that have gone up in price. Ironic really as you won't see a car like it made again.

Most examples now will be over 100k miles but not much of an issue as not much goes wrong. Main thing to check is that the water pump and thermostat have been changed every 60k miles or so.

Man of Honour
Shame Nissan never made the Pulsar (2014) with the Nismo package or better a V6. With a little trim/styling tweaks and a decent engine that would have been a decent hot hatch. Or alternatively the HR13DDT engine with a remap/upgrades.

Associate
OP
I can vouch for the 130i having owned one.. get yourself into the 130i owners unite Facebook group as you'll find some good examples come up for sale there. They've not gone up in price to my knowledge, so it's definitely not all cars that have gone up in price. Ironic really as you won't see a car like it made again.

Most examples now will be over 100k miles but not much of an issue as not much goes wrong. Main thing to check is that the water pump and thermostat have been changed every 60k miles or so.

The other half had a 118d e87 for years so used to the car but obviously 130i is a totally different beast and kit wise from what the 118d had.
Ran a search and a few on AT at the moment.

Associate
OP
Shame Nissan never made the Pulsar (2014) with the Nismo package or better a V6. With a little trim/styling tweaks and a decent engine that would have been a decent hot hatch. Or alternatively the HR13DDT engine with a remap/upgrades.

A modern Pulsar GTIR would have been interesting.

Man of Honour
The road tax goes up dramatically for VR6's after March 2006. So try to keep to a car earlier than that. Also look at TT mk1 V6's which had the same 3.2 engine. Keep in mind they sometimes need chains replacing after the 100k mark.

The mk5 Golf is dynamically a much better drive than the mk4 Golf (and mk1 TT). The mk 5 GTI was a better car in almost every way than the mk5 VR6 except engine noise and character.

Associate
OP
The road tax goes up dramatically for VR6's after March 2006. So try to keep to a car earlier than that. Also look at TT mk1 V6's which had the same 3.2 engine. Keep in mind they sometimes need chains replacing after the 100k mark.

The mk5 Golf is dynamically a much better drive than the mk4 Golf (and mk1 TT). The mk 5 GTI was a better car in almost every way than the mk5 VR6 except engine noise and character.

I did notice that and look out for any 55 plates but the sellers obviously know this and have it priced accordingly. Did spot a 55 on AT with 84k miles and £9k with no mods. Mk1 TT is a classic so good shout on that one. It was the engine noise and character that keeps drawing me in over the regular GTI. The extreme other end is increasing the budget to the e92 m3 type cars but that is another can of worms. With the cost of living increasing trying to go with the sensible head to find something that is mildly interesting and reasonable priced before move it on for something with more power.

Man of Honour
I did notice that and look out for any 55 plates but the sellers obviously know this and have it priced accordingly. Did spot a 55 on AT with 84k miles and £9k with no mods. Mk1 TT is a classic so good shout on that one. It was the engine noise and character that keeps drawing me in over the regular GTI. The extreme other end is increasing the budget to the e92 m3 type cars but that is another can of worms. With the cost of living increasing trying to go with the sensible head to find something that is mildly interesting and reasonable priced before move it on for something with more power.
I've owned several VR6's and GTI's including a Golf mk4 V6 4Motion and a Golf mk6 GTI. The mk4 V6 was the 2.8l version of the engine (the poor mans R32) and the mk6 is basically a facelifted mk5 although it does have a slightly different engine to the mk5. The mk4 was utterly bullet proof and from an era when VW wasn't cutting so many corners. The mk6 was so much more fun to drive as the mk5 Golf onwards was a much better chassis. The VR6 engine is not particularly powerful nowadays. But it is very smooth and sounds wonderful. I've also owned a mk1 TT in the past (not the V6) and that was a lovely place to sit, but again not something that was overly dynamic (it was basically a mk4 Golf underneath).

I did consider buying another TT recently although that's on hold for a while. Arguably the best value would be a mk5 R32. But I try to buy cars that don't either don't depreciate or hopefully rise slightly. The mk4 R32 and TT V6 should resell in the future for at least what you pay for it. Both cars have a following.

Any V6 is not going to be the most petrol efficient engine in today's expensive climate.

I still have a VR6 in my garage (Corrado).

Back
Top Bottom