What's your personal GOAT ? (Game of all time)

Associate
For me it has to be World of Warcraft.
From the first moment firing it up it was utter epic, meeting new players and forming bonds to questing and dungeon runs that just went on for hours upon hours. I lost my life to it for a obscene amount of years along with a relationship or two but i have no regrets.

Man of Honour
In a way, Highway on the ZX Spectrum. Solely because it was the first game I finished (previous games I'd played didn't really have a finish). Or maybe Fairlight, which was amazing on a Spectrum. Multi-channel sound! Well, sort of. Or Elite, which was the first open world (in a sense) game I played.

In another way, Fallout 4 because that was my introduction to using mods on games and boy did I use mods on that game. About 100 of them, all for building more things. Then I built a new PC because my PC wasn't up to the job of such large settlements. I didn't even do the main storyline in the first ~100 hours of play. I thought it was pretty poor by Fallout standards. But the gameworld was superb, full of the "I'll explore that...and that...and what's that over there?" thing that makes Fallout games great.

Right now, maybe the Darkness Falls overhaul for 7 Days to Die. It's 7DTD but better. And much, much harder. I went into it playing like I played unmodded 7DTD...and I died 3 times in less than 2 game days. I'm now at day 73 and I'm still hiding in a hole every night. They mostly come out at night. Although by now the mobs in the day are bad enough. Some of them would fit right into an H.P. Lovecraft story (and they're not the worst ones).

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Still Resident Evil 2 from 1998.

This one is definitely in my top 10. Great memories of it playing it as a kid.

Shenmue 1 and 2

Same with this. Would play it with my brother, well not together, he would play his copy and me mine and then we would speak about it. I still remember him reading about it in a gaming mag before it was out and he said the game was super realistic in that you would need to feed him and take him to the toilet etc. None which ended up being true, but was still a game way ahead of its time.

As much as I have fond memories of it, I got it on steam and replayed them both and they did not quite hold up to the memories I had.

For example for me Resident Evil, Deus Ex, Final Fantasy 7 all hold up well when I replay them now.

Shenmue 3 disappointed me.

Tell me about it. Was a huge disappointment. Felt more like a cash grab than anything else.

Soldato
This one is definitely in my top 10. Great memories of it playing it as a kid.

Same with this. Would play it with my brother, well not together, he would play his copy and me mine and then we would speak about it. I still remember him reading about it in a gaming mag before it was out and he said the game was super realistic in that you would need to feed him and take him to the toilet etc. None which ended up being true, but was still a game way ahead of its time.

As much as I have fond memories of it, I got it on steam and replayed them both and they did not quite hold up to the memories I had.

For example for me Resident Evil, Deus Ex, Final Fantasy 7 all hold up well when I replay them now.

Tell me about it. Was a huge disappointment. Felt more like a cash grab than anything else.
Yea shenmue 3 was bad. I tried to play it but it was soo bad

Associate
For me it has to be World of Warcraft.
From the first moment firing it up it was utter epic, meeting new players and forming bonds to questing and dungeon runs that just went on for hours upon hours. I lost my life to it for a obscene amount of years along with a relationship or two but i have no regrets.

As much as I hate what it has now become I have to agree. I have so many memories both good and bad tied up with that game and as you said the obscene amount of time spent playing... is just insane! Last time I did a /played command on my main it was up to something ridiculous like 487 days total time played. That's not including any of the many alts I played

I met people from all over the world, and now count some of them as friends for close to 20 years, I seemed to gravitate towards the swedes for some reason, from my personal experience they have very similar humour to us Brits but anyways I digress. WoW (as much as I hate to say it!) gets my vote.

Soldato
Star Wars Galaxies, Played it first after the infamous NGE update but I loved it, Played the Jump to Lightspeed expansion, Kashyyyk expansion and then Trials of Obi Wan expansion, My guild and I on Starsider, SinisteR, Ran all the "dungeons" from IG88, Tusken King, Imperial Star Destroyer etc...

We also held base busting on Friday nights for all guilds so everyone could get GCW i.e Galactic Civil War points, Through these points you attained ranks and through ranks you could buy some very cool looking stuff through the Imperial/Rebel vendors, Of course you could go to the PvP planet Restuss and just cross an invisible line by the spaceport, Get flagged for PvP and go kick some ass in open world PvP but base busting was a good way for people not into PvP to get ranks.

Space itself was also immensely fun, Go to a star port, Go to a terminal, Select your ship and you'd load in above the planet, Equip various player crafted parts that you could buy on the market boards like better shields, Better engines, Better weapons etc... lots of other stuff too on the marketplace from housing items, Armour so on and so on.

And all the ships, Minus the smaller ones, You could get up off your seat and wander around them, Even decorate them if you wished, Join the Imperial, Rebel or Neutral pilot factions, Get more ships, Uniforms, Badges/achievements, Some of the biggest ships you got through special actions, Like the Imperial Decimator or YE-9, HUGE ships that you could have a lot of your friends on.

Also had a Mustafarian bunker, Player housing was very popular, That I put on the planet Lok, Kind of like Tatooine in looks, Decorated it to the gills with tens of Billions of credits worth of rare items that I obtained over the years, Looked amazing, There was even a little music box, Kind of like jukebox, That you could set to continuously play music inside your home, I permanently had "Star Wars - Funeral Suite" playing quietly when you walked in, Gave a very sad atmosphere but went with the galactic civil war era the game was set in.

But then things started going wrong with the people who ran it, Sony Online Entertainment, Developers were being laid off, Really loopy decisions being made, Planned game updates were put on hold, Servers began getting more and more unstable, This is all with a fairly healthy monthly subscription player base, But then news came of Star Wars The Old Republic and it all made sense, SWG had to go to make room for SWTOR as those in charge didn't want 2 x different Star Wars MMO's, SWTOR in my honest opinion apart from the voice acting and story telling is a far inferior game and the community is rancid.

Last edited:
Soldato
Battlefield 2. Perfect in almost every way

Indeed. If thye'd have remade this, enhanced the maps maybe with some destructive environments as in 3, with a modern engine's gfx, they'd have made more money than BFV, 1 and 2042 combined. CanT understand why change from a winning formula. Dont need new maps, all the maps from 1942, BF2, 3, BC, BC2, and some of BF4 - didnt need thinking about. Just redo/expand them for bigger teams. Trying to reinvent the wheel is futile.

Associate
Single player - Deus EX
multiplayer - battlefield 2 , which is still installed via steam and I still play online .
Nothing has come close to the amount of fun I have had playing this game

Permabanned
Unreal Tournament 99 for me.
Never has a game got into my very being before like this one and playing Clanbase league and cup games in iCTF & iDOM brings back soooo many fond memories.

I seem to load this up every 5 years or so and to this day there are people still playing it, especially instagib.

Soldato
Elder Scrolls Oblivion.

When you emerge from the sewers, the music swells and the world just opens up...chefs kiss.

However, having now played Elden Ring twice through to completion, I may amend it in the future but I need to give it time as it may just be fresh in my mind and worry its just because its new.
A great moment that I will remember forever

Back
Top Bottom