Poll: *** The official 2021 14" and 16" Macbook Pro thread (it has an SD slot and everything!) ***

Will you be buying a new MacBook Pro

• Yes, 14"

Votes: 43 31.9%
  • Yes, 16"

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • No

Votes: 64 47.4%

• Total voters
Commissario
Do you have any links.
Literally any microfibre or lint free cloth with the slightest amount of water that comes out of your kitchen tap. Not wet, just very slightly moist. I wouldn't put any kind of cleaning product on a laptop screen.

Then again, I don't touch my screen, generally it just gets a bit dusty over time.

Mobster
Soldato
Literally any microfibre or lint free cloth with the slightest amount of water that comes out of your kitchen tap. Not wet, just very slightly moist. I wouldn't put any kind of cleaning product on a laptop screen.

Then again, I don't touch my screen, generally it just gets a bit dusty over time.

It's not touching it, it is water droplets from your breath etc

Man of Honour
Left to right: 15" Pro, 14" Pro, M1 Air, 2016 MacBook.

IMG-5585.jpg

Man of Honour
It’s amazing how thin bezels on the 14 instantly make the 15 look very dated.
Yeah, I had them side by side as I wanted to open my OneNote on my 14", and looking at them side by side the 15" looks dated like you say!

Not the best pic due to the glare but thought I won't have them all lined up like this again (Air is my mums now and 2016 MacBook has sold).

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Decided to go for the base 14 MBP in silver instead of a Mac Mini. This will be a better machine of course but also means I can work away from my desk as well which I do like to do. £1735 seems like a good price.

Man of Honour
I’m starting to struggle with the screen size on the Air, I’m tempted to order a 14” Pro from Very and use their 20% discount for credit offer. Then give my mum the air and retire her now very slow MacBook.
I've had the 14" Pro nearly 3 weeks now. I mainly bought it because the Air was frustrating on some web pages I use, such as venter, NSX Manager and other work/lab related pages. With the Air I would have to zoom the pages out, or run the display in scaled mode which has some unwanted side effects (performance, battery etc). I was deliberating on whether the jump to 14" would be enough. I have a work Intel 15" Pro, and I didn't fancy anything bigger than that and ultimately decided to try the 14". I'm glad I did. It's quite an upgrade over the Air, performance is better, battery life is better, the screen is in another league and the addition of the extra ports and SD card ready has been really useful. Those annoying we pages are much easier to navigate, read and generally use than they were on the Air. The only thing I miss really is the form factor and weight, the Pro is quite fat in comparison but I soon forgot about it.

Soldato
I've been eyeing up an M2 MBA, but by the time you up the RAM and SSD I'm basically at the current available price of the base MPB 14 - so naturally I'm now looking at that. The MPB would allow be to try it out as a desktop replacement too, which is something that has been crossing my mind more and more.

Surely it's a no brainer? Or am I missing something - the size difference doesn't seem much at all?

Soldato
I've been eyeing up an M2 MBA, but by the time you up the RAM and SSD I'm basically at the current available price of the base MPB 14 - so naturally I'm now looking at that. The MPB would allow be to try it out as a desktop replacement too, which is something that has been crossing my mind more and more.

Surely it's a no brainer? Or am I missing something - the size difference doesn't seem much at all?

There’s a big weight difference between them. If you plan on carrying it around a lot, the MBA would be noticeably more comfortable.

Soldato
Not really, just from the office to the lounge most of the time. Probably on a trip with me a few times a year :p

350g doesn't seem too much though?

I tried them out in an Apple store earlier and it’s very noticeable.

I’m probably more sensitive to it because I will be carrying a 14” MBP for work soon, and I’m toying with the idea of taking a personal device with too so I’d never buy another 14” MBP. The iPad Pro with that fancy keyboard that has a trackpad is probably the best option for me, but I’d miss a proper desktop OS.

Soldato
I might try and get to a store to check it out, but for me the weight shouldn't be an issue I don't think. I would have liked to stick to the base MBA, but slower SSD and only 8gb RAM kind of kills it for me. The MPB could potentially be a true desktop replacement for me though, as long as it plays nicely with my 2 ultrawide screens.

Commissario
Saw one of my colleagues with one of these last week, first time I've been up and close with on. Man they're chunky, I'll stick with my older Intel i9 for now I think.

Man of Honour
Saw one of my colleagues with one of these last week, first time I've been up and close with on. Man they're chunky, I'll stick with my older Intel i9 for now I think.
My 14" Pro isn't that much more chunky than my Intel i7 15", and it knocks it out of the water in pretty much every other department.

Back
Top Bottom