Poll: *** The official 2021 iPad Pro thread (it has the M1 chip and everything!) ***

The new M1 iPad Pro - Are you getting one?

• Total voters
Soldato
I'm still trying to make up my mind about what to do. I could get a Magic Keyboard for my 11" iPad Pro, wait until the new iPad Pro is available and get the 12.9" version with the Magic Keyboard at the same time or get an M1 MacBook Air.

I'd mainly be using it to take notes from PDFs and eBooks, along with web browsing and listening to music. Any advice on what I should do?

Soldato
I'm still trying to make up my mind about what to do. I could get a Magic Keyboard for my 11" iPad Pro, wait until the new iPad Pro is available and get the 12.9" version with the Magic Keyboard at the same time or get an M1 MacBook Air.

I'd mainly be using it to take notes from PDFs and eBooks, along with web browsing and listening to music. Any advice on what I should do?
If you’re willing to stump up the cash, the Magic Keyboard is unrivalled of that I have little doubt.
The other aspect is personal preference. If it were me, I’d rather have the MacBook than a 13 inch iPad - I just think it would slightly too unwieldy. For me the 11” iPad is pretty much the perfect size and weight for a tablet.

Soldato
I’d expect new iPad Pro’s for the holiday season with M2. Release is probably only 3 months away now.

The one downside apple has now by putting the same chips in everything, once one thing is updated, everyone knows the whole line up is going to get it in short order.

Soldato
I find the edges of the magic keyboard rather sharp.
Yeah the "seam" that runs round the edge is quite sharp but as others have said- the overall experience of using the 12.9M1 pro with the magic keyboard is pretty much flawless.
If only the battery life was better!

Soldato
If you’re willing to stump up the cash, the Magic Keyboard is unrivalled of that I have little doubt.
The other aspect is personal preference. If it were me, I’d rather have the MacBook than a 13 inch iPad - I just think it would slightly too unwieldy. For me the 11” iPad is pretty much the perfect size and weight for a tablet.

I find the edges of the magic keyboard rather sharp.

I’d expect new iPad Pro’s for the holiday season with M2. Release is probably only 3 months away now.

The one downside apple has now by putting the same chips in everything, once one thing is updated, everyone knows the whole line up is going to get it in short order.

Yeah the "seam" that runs round the edge is quite sharp but as others have said- the overall experience of using the 12.9M1 pro with the magic keyboard is pretty much flawless.
If only the battery life was better!

Thank you all. I think I will stick to the 11" iPad Pro, get the Magic Keyboard for it, and then see what happens if Apple releases a new iPad Pro model in the 2nd half of 2022. I haven't tried the beta of iPadOS 16, so that will be a significant upgrade for me as it should help my workflow somewhat.

Soldato
I really did go over the top by paying out extra for the larger storage models of my 11" & 12.9" ipad pro's
After almost a year now of owning them i used only this much storage :o

My 11" pro
Capacity 512GB
Available 478GB

My 12.9" pro
Capacity 512GB
Available 473GB

:o:o:o:o:o

Soldato
Since they started managing storage locally by offloading unused apps and older things on the camera roll I’ve always gone for the smaller capacity models of iDevices and just paid for more iCloud storage. Unless you’re taking a lot of photos and videos all the time or using the RAW/ProRes modes and connecting to wireless intermittently then it’s easy to end up with a lot of unused capacity you paid through the nose for.

Man of Honour
No new iPad Pro's yet, shame, I desperately want to upgrade my 2018 Pro due to the crack across the screen. Fingers crossed for the usual October event.

Caporegime
Had to return mine yesterday due to flaky as hell charging on the usb c. Got it swapped out under warranty. TBH the battery in it has always been crap too compared to my 2018 pro even today. I was really disappointed in the M1 version battery life.

Anyway what surprised me is that now when you swap out for a refurb you have the option to buy 2 more years AppleCare within 7 days. This was despite me never buying it on the original purchase.

Last edited:
Soldato
Had to return mine yesterday due to flaky as hell charging on the usb c. Got it swapped out under warranty. TBH the battery in it has always been crap too compared to my 2018 pro even today. I was really disappointed in the M1 version battery life.

Anyway what surprised me is that now when you swap out for a refurb you have the option to buy 2 more years AppleCare within 7 days. This was despite me never buying it on the original purchase.

That’s awesome.

They must make a fortune out of apple care though. Especially now since they do the rolling month contract.

Back
Top Bottom