What retro things have you done today?

Soldato
Probably a MSI Ti4600, ASUS Radeon 9600XT, in amongst some other low end graphics cards, and sound cards

Banshee in here: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/204037266431?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1431.l2649

You really have to think how long 30 year old caps are going to last. Probably best to sell while you can
If the caps go they are replaced :) Even an amateur at soldering like myself has good success at old electronics like these.

Associate
Probably a MSI Ti4600, ASUS Radeon 9600XT, in amongst some other low end graphics cards, and sound cards

I think that MSI is a 4800 SE, looks very similar to one I have boxed. But a GF4 Ti anyway :)
If anyone buys the lot I would like to have that ASUS 9600 XT, looks beautiful :D Swaps or cash :)

Man of Honour
OP
Had a GF4 Ti4200 back in the day (original crap digital camera photo below :p). I think its the first I modded with replacment gpu heatsink (all copper) and memory heatsinks but kept the original XFX fan on it.

Geforce-Ti4200.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
I have quite a few old laptops, can't remember the exact model numbers. they are ok, but I prefer desktops :)
I have a few. Only because they were free/super cheap. I got this TINY one for £5 at a car boot sale and its still my best performing youtube video so far. Is a great machine to use as well to be fair. Before I got my usb FDD I used this laptop a lot to move things from current PC to floppy disks.

Associate
I have a few. Only because they were free/super cheap. I got this TINY one for £5 at a car boot sale and its still my best performing youtube video so far. Is a great machine to use as well to be fair. Before I got my usb FDD I used this laptop a lot to move things from current PC to floppy disks.
I knew I had a Tiny laptop too, so I searched my purchases on Ebay to find that I bought an exact same model, A360. I don't know what specs it has though, it has a picture with WinXP. I was somehow excited about laptops a while ago, but I stopped after filling a box with them, these things weigh a ton. They're not light as the new laptops lol.
I know for sure I have another Tiny laptop with a K6-2 CPU, I'm not sure if I have it with me or I shipped it to my parents home.

Soldato
I knew I had a Tiny laptop too, so I searched my purchases on Ebay to find that I bought an exact same model, A360. I don't know what specs it has though, it has a picture with WinXP. I was somehow excited about laptops a while ago, but I stopped after filling a box with them, these things weigh a ton. They're not light as the new laptops lol.
I know for sure I have another Tiny laptop with a K6-2 CPU, I'm not sure if I have it with me or I shipped it to my parents home.
Proper socketed CPUs too. Nice little machines!
A certain compaq LCD monitor just arrived safe and sound :)

Got a few errands to run then I will get a pic of it running.

Associate

Suprisingly sharp for an early LCD at 800x600 and 1024x768. Not too bad at lower resolutions either!
Awesome! I hope you enjoy it!
I got 3 more LCDs, I don't know what to do with them lol. I don't want to throw them away. I got some big boxes, I'll probably put them on Ebay with 99p starting bid, at least someone will get a good deal and will enjoy them.

Soldato
Awesome! I hope you enjoy it!
I got 3 more LCDs, I don't know what to do with them lol. I don't want to throw them away. I got some big boxes, I'll probably put them on Ebay with 99p starting bid, at least someone will get a good deal and will enjoy them.
Thanks again mate. Im very happy with it and we have saved it from becoming wasted :)
I dont know if everyone got it but I got a £5 voucher from ebay with no minimum spend as long as I checkout with the ebay app so I picked up this for my XP machine to replace the janky 3870x2: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/374179635185
New and boxed allegedly but we shall see what turns up. For £8.99 its worth a look :)
Also won this which I think is a great price as the USB stick seems to sell for more than that by itself. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/115469016527

Associate
If someone is interested in some "retro" graphics cards, there's a few in stock at CEX, such as X1950 Pro (I got an AGP ver once), 8800 GTS, GTX 260 1792MB, GTX 280, GTGX 285. Good price and you get warranty..

Soldato
Wish I had just got a 9800GT from cex now. The "new" one arrived today and its the "EE" low power version and although was boxed the box is empty besides the low power card. Nothing on the listing suggested it was the low power one and the stock image was of the full fat version.

Associate
Wish I had just got a 9800GT from cex now. The "new" one arrived today and its the "EE" low power version and although was boxed the box is empty besides the low power card. Nothing on the listing suggested it was the low power one and the stock image was of the full fat version.

Isn't that just as good as the normal 9800 GT? I was looking for one of these as it doesn't require any PCI-E power connector, it's perfect for a Shuttle PC unit with those 250W power supplies.

Soldato
Isn't that just as good as the normal 9800 GT? I was looking for one of these as it doesn't require any PCI-E power connector, it's perfect for a Shuttle PC unit with those 250W power supplies.
They are 100mhz or so lower clocked which is like 15% lower! That is a good point for them not needed external power, just a little miffed that I was looking for the full fat one!

Associate
They are 100mhz or so lower clocked which is like 15% lower! That is a good point for them not needed external power, just a little miffed that I was looking for the full fat one!
Well, I have a few of these cards, I need to dig them out of the pile. We can swap them :D It should still be a bit faster than the 9600 GT, which requires a 6 pin too..

Soldato
Sounds like a plan! I am going to try it first and see if its enough for my needs.. It probably is I just feel a little annoyed as I currently have 3 ebay issues right now after not really having any of note before.
I also had surgery on tuesday so cant lift anything for a week or 2. So my XP machine is way out of reach for the minute :(

Back
Top Bottom