Games that had it, but lost it!

Caporegime
Where to start? :p

SimCity.. 1 = awesome, 2 = fab, 3 = bareable, 4 = utter poo.

C&C.. post Yuri's = pants.

CounterStrike.. <=1.3, bar cheats, and one well known exploit, was awesome. 1.4 was so garbage Valve 'unnerfed' it within a month but it was still a shadow of it's former self. 1.6 (specifically the introduction of the shield) = utter, utter shambles. Source.. well, they removed the shield but the only thing it has similar to 1.x is the names of items and title, other than that it's a compeltely different game.

Battlefield.. the players lost it for this game (for me.. ) too many spawn huggers, nobs who kill you because you got to the vehicle first etc. etc. etc. BF2 brought in ranks.. utter crap system to have on a game that is not an RPG.

All MMO's .. new Content gets far to complex, takes up far too much time to get the items absolutely required for PvP (DAoC for example.. to even bother with PvP you *must* have a full squad with the perfect template fitted on all toons.. an untterly insane amount of grinding with 50+ groups required for months to achieve this.) New content also piles on the pressure for the hardware, see Eve-Online for an example. Some insanely rare items making owners practically invincible.. see EQ.. watching a lone paladin pwn 50 players because he has 'the' hammer.. see DAoC.. Scouts with 'the' cloak able to take on 10+ people.. a scout ffs.

Doom 1, 2 awesome.. alleged industry firsts, but turned into graphics engine display in the 3rd.

UT.. 1 awesome. Real groundbreaker, stole the thunder from Quake3 (which is also an awesome game) UT2k3.. dumbed down, pretty graphics which all get turned off by serious players and covered with dayglo skins in competitions. UT2k4 dumbed down further and more 'worthless' graphics. UT2007(8?) looks to be a Doom3 incarnate.

The list goes on :o

Caporegime
Yay, no one mentioned one of the longest running pc games series ever

Prince of Persia :D

1 = totally incredible back in the day
2 = now with pretty colours and more of the same fun
3D and onwards = just another 3rd person game, tomb raider did it all ages before

Soldato
Macabre said:
Most racing game music sucks, I always turn it off. Burnout, Gran Turismo etc.
Yeh pretty much true.
There were a few great songs through the gran turismo series though. Wasn't a single song I didn't like on GT1, and Feeder Just a day, Buck Rogers, 7 days in the sun were all great (was that GT3 or 4?)

Associate
PinkFloyd said:
Gran Turismo got better with every incarnation.
Only thing that got worse through the games was the ingame music.

Hmm, thinking of GT4, the car physcics remained pretty poor, still no damage, tons of repetition of previous games (I could go and play SS5 and win my first race in a brand new car, because it's almost exactly the same as every other version) and the licence structure gets worse and worse. I spent longer getting the licences in GT4 than I did getting my real-world unrestricted bike licence. Even the car collecting's les interesting. A sequel's got to overshadow the original, or be sufficiently different to remain interesting.

Caporegime
krooton said:
Yay, no one mentioned one of the longest running pc games series ever

Prince of Persia :D

1 = totally incredible back in the day
2 = now with pretty colours and more of the same fun
3D and onwards = just another 3rd person game, tomb raider did it all ages before
Got to disagree, the latest trilogy is superb - brought back decent platforming to the PC though I would agree that with each sequel it has got worse - TSOT is brillant compared to TTT...

ps3ud0 :cool:

Associate
Northwind said:
Now, I liked 8, it was very well done... but you're maybe the only person in the world who preferred it to 7 ;)

I prefer 8 to 7, then again I prefer 10 and 6 over 7 as well.

FF has been on a bit of a down recently with stuff like X-2, 11 and crystal chronicles.

I agree with many of the others that have been mentioned, quake, C&C, Doom and worms all spring to mind.

Soldato
Broken Sword 1 - Amazing. So many memories.
Broken Sword 2 - Amazing. Although Not as good as 1.
Broken Sword 3 - Whats happened?! Its lost it.
Broken Sword 4 - A little better but still lost somewhere.

Soldato
JUMPURS said:
I honestly can't disagree with that.

Also need for speed.
Started off good
then NFS:U i loved
NFS:U 2 was ok
NFS:MW on PC sucked
NFS: Carbon, played the 360 demo and its very poor :(

^Agreed.

Also, SSX.

SSX = My first PS2 game
SSX Tricky = even better than original
SSX3 = awesome
SSX On Tour = WTF?!

Soldato
Syndicate - One of the most satisfying experiences of my life to date. Utterly mind blowing game.
Syndicate Wars - Suicide became a viable option.

Tomb Raider - Original version was jaw dropping.
All other TR - What

Soldato
Barbie said:
Elite (groundbreaking) - > Frontier:Elite 2 (not bad) - > Frontier:First encounters (p.o.s buggy game)

Actually if you got your hands on the re-release or if you patched up First Encounters it was better than Frontier (I think a lot of people would argue that Frontier was a lot better than "not bad"). The history of why First Encounters was so buggy is on the net for all to read. Nothing to do with David Braben and everything to do with the publisher.

Last edited:
Associate
Camalot said:
I diddnt think that was out untill feburary 2007 :confused:
you might very well be right there my friend, but yet here I am 14 hours into the game... just came out of the "village of the garif" to cross the "ozmone plains" to get to "mt bur'omnisace";) tis a very good game and the fighting system is far better then every FF that preceded it.

Back
Top Bottom