Gear Thread - Pics

Man of Honour
Andelusion said:
The JSX looks such a beast! Was it used on the G3 2003 cd? Because I actually thought his tone on the 'Live in San Francisco' was sublime and thought the new sound was a bit harsh. But perhaps thats just because its different than what I was used to. But then again, if its his signature amp, its bound to be jaw droppingly awesome, isn't it?

I read ages ago that it was impossible to get the matching cab in UK (as of the time the article was published) - are you pursuing one or are you happy with what you have got?

.... Its huge! :o

Bet its the last thing you look at when you close your eyes at night too, before having a quick peek to see if its still actually there :D

Soldato
Nitefly said:
The JSX looks such a beast! Was it used on the G3 2003 cd? Because I actually thought his tone on the 'Live in San Francisco' was sublime and thought the new sound was a bit harsh. But perhaps thats just because its different than what I was used to. But then again, if its his signature amp, its bound to be jaw droppingly awesome, isn't it?

I read ages ago that it was impossible to get the matching cab in UK (as of the time the article was published) - are you pursuing one or are you happy with what you have got?

.... Its huge! :o

Bet its the last thing you look at when you close your eyes at night too, before having a quick peek to see if its still actually there :D

Hehe, the amp he used on that DVD was a very late prototype, and no I didn't particularly like his tone -at all- on there, way too fuzy. He was also having speaker problems that night apparently.

Mine sounds nothing like it :) Yeah I understand the matching cab is hard to get hold of, GAK stock it but it's 599 I think? Far too expensive, the only extra feature it has is an emulated 1/4" jack output which I'd never use anyway.

The cornford sounds -awesome-. I bought it second hand (of course) for super cheap considering how much it is new. I ran the JSX with a Marshall 1936 2x12 for over a year before getting the Cornford and I hardly ever played the JSX as the cab made it sound terrible, the celestions which are in the non vintage cabs aren't smooth at all (which is what I like personally) the Cornford has some Celestion Vintage 30s in and yeah it's pretty large so has some great bass response whilst remaining tight, it's a heavy bugger though :D (I can't understand why Cornfords don't come with castors) And yep we do sleep well together at night :p

I'm still really pining for a Cornford Mk50 or a Hellcat though, but wanting more than the JSX is ridiculous tbh as it's a hell of an amp.

Last edited:
Soldato
Go for the full stack.. You know you want to. ;)

A friend of mine plays in a pub rock covers band and he has the Hellcat stack (I think), with the head and 4x12 cab. He plays a Musicman Silhouette through it and it sounds sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo unbelievably lushious. The tone is so fat and wide you feel like you can sink your teeth right into it. But not only that, the clean sound is remarkably fantastic as well. Argh.. I hate my SpiderII so much. :o

Soldato
naffa said:
Go for the full stack.. You know you want to. ;)

A friend of mine plays in a pub rock covers band and he has the Hellcat stack (I think), with the head and 4x12 cab. He plays a Musicman Silhouette through it and it sounds sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo unbelievably lushious. The tone is so fat and wide you feel like you can sink your teeth right into it. But not only that, the clean sound is remarkably fantastic as well. Argh.. I hate my SpiderII so much. :o

Silhouette's are awesome ! Musicman guitars are really good 'off the shelf' guitars I think.

And full stack? Hehe in a 7 bedroom detached house how often do you think I can actually turn the amp up past about 2 anyway? :D

Spiders are great, I play through my PODxt pretty much all the time, for practising and quick recording it's perfect, I imagine the pod has pretty similar amp models?

Soldato
I think the SpiderIII's modelling functionality is more similar to the Pod than the SpiderII. I have been itching for a Pod for a while, as like you said, they're fantastic for practising and recording.

An that must be horrible living in a 7 bedroom house with an amp that awesome sitting there doing nout. ;) I live on a farm in the middle of nowhere, so my amps are always up at 11. :D ;)

Man of Honour
With all of this POD talk, how different is the POD to what can be achieved with a guitarport, in terms of tone? I imagine the only difference is that one runs on a PC, but I'm unsure.

And steady with the Spider loathing, they are far, far away from a bad amp!

Soldato
dmpoole said:
Pocket Pod - snip
I was soo close to buying one of those today. After that link I did some research and determined that they would be ideal for me. But instead I'm buying an Aphex Aural Xciter for my acoustic.

As it was my birthday yesterday, I had some money today. I've been yearning for a new amp for a long time, and I thought, why don't I buy 32? :D

So I went into town to buy a new lead, and came home with this:

flextoneiiimo5.jpg

I traded in my SpiderII 112 and got £150 part ex for it which is really good. The amp was retailing for £350, so I ended up paying £200. Very happy. :)

Didn't even have to pay for my lead in the end. :D

EDIT: Excuse the mess. :o

Soldato
I don't wake up and eat it, I wake up and play guitar. I play guitar so much that my energy levels run so so low, that I need something that can substitute an entire meal, but yet satisfy my energy needs AND be quick to eat. Special K is in a league of it's own for this. My rock-stamina has improved greatly in the last four years though.

Man of Honour
naffa said:
I don't wake up and eat it, I wake up and play guitar. I play guitar so much that my energy levels run so so low, that I need something that can substitute an entire meal, but yet satisfy my energy needs AND be quick to eat. Special K is in a league of it's own for this. My rock-stamina has improved greatly in the last four years though.
I would have prefered you to say that when you get up hungry, you live off your own rock, but this is satisfactory.

Permabanned
Baile 140 bass Accordion

accordionqk4.jpg

These are Chinese made but are still of reasonable quality. This cost just £700.....a bargain compared to some of the Italian boxes which cost around £7k.

Learnt to play when I was 7...then gave it up in my teenage years but have recently started again. Looking to get a synth soon, such as the classic DX7.

Soldato
My new sax - bought it new a few months ago. It's a total, utter beast, better in every way than the old 1933 Selmer it replaces. It's very loud, has a fat, rich, resonant tone, will scream or whisper throughout the entire range. Generally, it's a bit cool! :cool:

sax3.jpg

sax2.jpg

sax1.jpg

It's the "vintage" finish, which looks more "raw" to my eyes really. The brass is unpolished, so all the fingerprints of the guy who put it together are still there, along with the discolouration of the metal where the posts and joints are soldered. Aside from making it look sexeh, the fact that it's not polished means the metal is just that bit thicker than the standard model and it resonsates more. This alto weighs just as much as my other tenor! There's a clear lacquer over it, so the finish won't deteriorate any more.

Back
Top Bottom