Opinions on the Xbox 360 Universal Media Remote

Soldato
I'm looking at getting the official 360 remote control so I can watch DVDs across the room without having to use the controller.

Does anyone have it and if so what is your opinion of it? Three specific questions:

• Does it take up one of the 'quadrants' used by the controllers?
  • If so does it disconnect if left idle like the controllers? It's annoying trying to pause a movie and having to wait until the controller reconnects.
  • Can you (even crudley) play games using it, I'm thinking the likes of Hexic?

Permabanned
I'm looking at getting the official 360 remote control so I can watch DVDs across the room without having to use the controller.

Does anyone have it and if so what is your opinion of it? Three specific questions:

• Does it take up one of the 'quadrants' used by the controllers?
  • If so does it disconnect if left idle like the controllers? It's annoying trying to pause a movie and having to wait until the controller reconnects.
  • Can you (even crudley) play games using it, I'm thinking the likes of Hexic?

Nope, nope and nope.

Soldato
The 360 has an infrared port (unlike the PS3) so the remote acts quite seperate to the wireless controller part.

I had a remote and it was excellent (and more wife friendly), it also has a media centre button (handy for streaming) but as I was starting to go mad with all the remotes (TV, 360, Amp, SKY and CD player) I bought a Logitech 525 a couple of weeks ago.

Bloomin best thing I ever bought. Select 'Activities .. Play DVD', it switchs my TV on, 360 on, Amp on and over to right input then opens up the TV inputs (Tosh TV) and scrolls up to HDMI 2. It then acts as the 'DVD remote'. Then select watch SKY it switches the 360 off, turns the TV over to HDMI 1, switches the Sky box on, switches the amps input and then works as the Sky remote; fantastic!

/ sorry nerdy interlude just had to tell!

Soldato
I bought a Harmony 525 off the bay months ago, they are pertty good but mine is resigned to a drawer, I just couldnt get used to them, found it was easier to pick up the remote I knew the layout of rather then pickup the logitec, change the device, then play hunt the button. lazy i know :p , plus they go through batteries like you wouldnt believe.

I dont know if they still sell them, but I picked up a HP media centre remote off the bay for £1.99 new!, it puts the Xbox one to shame, really nicely laid out, more funtions, and works great with the 360

Soldato
I bought a Harmony 525 off the bay months ago, they are pertty good but mine is resigned to a drawer, I just couldnt get used to them, found it was easier to pick up the remote I knew the layout of rather then pickup the logitec, change the device, then play hunt the button. lazy i know :p , plus they go through batteries like you wouldnt believe.

I dont know if they still sell them, but I picked up a HP media centre remote off the bay for £1.99 new!, it puts the Xbox one to shame, really nicely laid out, more funtions, and works great with the 360

Totally understand.
Though if you take the time to set it all up, play with timings (like working out my Tosh TV takes 8 seconds to boot up before it can handle an input change) then force yourself to use it by putting all your other controllers in a drawer you'll win. If you do it right you should never need the devices button.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the input everyone. I was thinking of picking one up as they are fairly cheap and means one less remote to worry about, I really don't have enough kit to justify one of those very fancy all in one things.

I do however have a HP media centre remote lying around, never thought about trying that. I will give it a go.

Back
Top Bottom