Exersize

Soldato
Hey

Well since i left school and started lazing about, going to work, going to college, coming home eating and playing games i have gained some weight, around 2 stone from what i used to be, ie im now about 14st.

Its not obese but i often tend to get tired a lot.

So instead of paying to go to the Gym which i cant afford im asking around for starting excersizes, i walk about 2/3 miles a day so i can handle jogging, i just want to get some flab of my belly ^_6.

what excersizes do you recommend if any, i really want to get my stomache down, i eat 3/4 pieces of fruit a day so a balanced diet isnt a problem, its just my snacking, but anywho excersizes!

Thanks for any help.

Soldato
OP
"balanced diet" doesn't mean that, you need to have the right amounts of things.

I do, i usually either have a salad or sandwhiches with some water for lunch, dinner is whatever my mam cooks which is usually normal food (spag bol, pasta, etc).

Im going to start jogging, hopefully it will be a blast and make me work hard as i tend to give up easily.

Soldato
What's exersize?
LOL :D

I don't really care about it, and I'm healthy as can be.
I eat Subway/McDonalds/Rustlers frequently and very rarely eat fruit and veg. I've got a killer metabolism so I can do that (at the moment anyway!)

Each individual has different requirements, just ignore the RDA and things like that - thats for the 'average person' (well, it's actually aload of pigs trollop).

Just eat what you feel like your body needs.
Thats all I've ever done, I'm 6ft3, just over 10st and the doctor said my bodies health levels (i.e. carbs, fats, salts) are all perfect :)

Caporegime
I do, i usually either have a salad or sandwhiches with some water for lunch, dinner is whatever my mam cooks which is usually normal food (spag bol, pasta, etc).

you could very easily be eating too many carbs, there are a lot of calories in carbs.

a lot of people think that they eat right because they have 3 meals a day, simply put, 3 meals a day is crap for most people, for many reasons.

Associate
I've been losing weight by exercise, about 30 mins a day, 10 mins bike, 10 mins rower, 10 mins treadmill, and not exceeding 2000 calories a day, but eat all food groups except chocolate, sweets and other foods with insanely high sugar content and saturates (bad bad bad fats). I never eat 3 meals a day either, i eat when im hungry, and never over eat, as in I stop when i feel im getting full.

Soldato
OP
What's exersize?

I type too fast and have had a few pints so i make a few mistakes big deal, can we please stick on topic?

I've been losing weight by exercise, about 30 mins a day, 10 mins bike, 10 mins rower, 10 mins treadmill, and not exceeding 2000 calories a day, but eat all food groups except chocolate, sweets and other foods with insanely high sugar content and saturates (bad bad bad fats). I never eat 3 meals a day either, i eat when im hungry, and never over eat, as in I stop when i feel im getting full.

Have you lost any weight that way or stayed the same? im trying to cut out fatty foods as i know i will get addicted agian.

Soldato
Eat sensibly, eat 3 meals a day (breakfast, lunch, dinner) try and have breakfast as soon as you get up. In terms of diet: watch what you snack on, crisps, chocolate bars, even sugary cereal like honey & nut is packed with calories, drink water and things such as pulses and nuts throughout the day.

Have you looked into how much a gym costs? I've recently joined one and after a couple of weeks I'm already burning a lot of fat, it works out around £9 a week which if you go every day is so worth the money. Anyway.

To get rid of fat the best kind of exercise will be cardiovascular, as far as I'm aware you want to try and keep your heart rate above resting for a decent time each day, if you can cycle to college instead of walk then this should do the trick, do this every day and eat sensibly and you should be on your way.

Going out for running is also probably the cheapest way, make sure you have some decent trainers that offer good ankle support, try and get a route which isn't completely on a hard surface like concrete as this can become hard on your joints if you're not used to it.

Are you near a sports centre/swimming baths? I know some of them charge a fee, but swimming is also a good toning exercise once you've started getting rid of some of that fat.

Also one of the other more obvious forms of exercise is to start getting into a sport again, I'm not into football but enjoy a kick around for a laugh, tennis/badminton is also a lot of fun.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Eat sensibly, eat 3 meals a day (breakfast, lunch, dinner) try and have breakfast as soon as you get up. In terms of diet: watch what you snack on, crisps, chocolate bars, even sugary cereal like honey & nut is packed with calories, drink water and things such as pulses and nuts throughout the day.

Have you looked into how much a gym costs? I've recently joined one and after a couple of weeks I'm already burning a lot of fat, it works out around £9 a week which if you go every day is so worth the money. Anyway.

To get rid of fat the best kind of exercise will be cardiovascular, as far as I'm aware you want to try and keep your heart rate above resting for a decent time each day, if you can cycle to college instead of walk then this should do the trick, do this every day and eat sensibly and you should be on your way.

Going out for running is also probably the cheapest way, make sure you have some decent trainers that offer good ankle support, try and get a route which isn't completely on a hard surface like concrete as this can become hard on your joints if you're not used to it.

Are you near a sports centre/swimming baths? I know some of them charge a fee, but swimming is also a good toning exercise once you've started getting rid of some of that fat.

I dont get payed that much, im on an apprentice wage mainly have to spend my money on bus fares, food and i have to pay my parents for cleaning, food etc.

Reason im saving up is because im going to America next year (hopefully) and require some cash ^_^, so im really trying to cut down, the only gym around here is Total Fitness which are damn expensive, theirs a swimming baths but their equipment doesnt look too good, dont want to strain myself.

I think il start some light jogging after work, might start to do some pushups and crunches at night.

Thanks for the input.

Soldato
Pushups and crunches won't do anything for burning fat I'm afraid, as far as I'm aware with my very limited knowledge(!) they'll be great for toning muscle but will do nothing for burning fat. Check out some of the threads in the sports forum, GordyR has given some great advice on health & fitness in the past that a lot of people have put into practise with good results.

You say you spend a lot on bus fares, is it possible to not get the bus some days and cycle insted? (I'm presuming you have a bike..? You can get one dead cheap anyway) If you don't, then maybe jogging home would be a good idea - jogging into work wouldn't be a good idea unless you want to be mr smelley for the rest of the day :)

Associate
Have you lost any weight that way or stayed the same? im trying to cut out fatty foods as i know i will get addicted agian.

Yup, been doing this about 2 months now and lost about 14lbs (stone) roughly, been a week or two since i last weighed myself properly.
It was hard cutting out certain foods that I love, but its a sacrifice you have to make if you want to live healthy.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
eat 3 meals a day (breakfast, lunch, dinner)

Wrong. You should eat little and often.

Pushups and crunches won't do anything for burning fat I'm afraid, as far as I'm aware with my very limited knowledge(!) they'll be great for toning muscle but will do nothing for burning fat. Check out some of the threads in the sports forum, GordyR has given some great advice on health & fitness in the past that a lot of people have put into practise with good results.

Toning muscle? No such thing. At least you admit that you have limited knowledge before mentioning it though :p

Back
Top Bottom