Brakes 101 with Malty!

Transmission breaker
Don
Finally got around to replacing my front brakes today, will do the rears in a few hundred miles when the fronts are all bedded in!

Thought i would document the process for you lot, im sure this is like trying to teach most of you what you already know, but someone might like to see how its done.

(Bear with me, this will take a long time, so posts will appear with just pictures at first!)

Here are all the bits required...
brakes1.jpg

This is where i am doing it...
brakes2.jpg

Loosen the wheel nuts before jacking the car up...
brakes3.jpg

Next i chock all the wheels with bricks and then raise the car to working height...
brakes4.jpg

Once the wheel is off, and I set about loosening the allen bolt that holds the disc in situ, it should not be tightened much at all. (Excuse the blur! All photos are taken on my phone!)
brakesblur1.jpg

I had a look at whipping off the whole caliper and mount in one go, but it was too busy back there, so i gave up on this part, and decided to remove the caliper first.
brakes5.jpg

This is where i had my first problem! In attempting to remove the caliper, I nearly brained myself whilst snapping my "lifetime guarentee" halfords "professional" hex kit!
brakes6.jpg

So i ran off the local motor factors and grabbed a Laser set..
brakes7.jpg

Haha!! Success, Laser for the win!
brakes8.jpg

Quickly whipped off the spring which i had forgotten to do!
brakes9.jpg

Last edited:
Transmission breaker
Don
OP
I think you may have squashed your sill there.
Its a plastic sill cover, thats the jacking point. Designed that way.

My little box i use for dropping bits in mid job. Currently containing caliper hex bolts and spring clip.
brakes10.jpg

Loosen the caliper with a G clamp to compress the cylinder a little a bit.
brakes11.jpg

Pop off the caliper! Might need a bit of a yank and some wiggling!
brakes12.jpg

Now it gets difficult, both of the 19mm bolts for the caliper mount are locked solid!
So i use my trusty custom breaker bar arrangment!!
brakes13.jpg

brakes14.jpg

Et-voila! one removed mount.
brakes15.jpg

You can see where it came from, and also the state of the old disc.
brakes16.jpg

brakes17.jpg

New discs on, and caliper mount back in place.
brakes18.jpg

Forgot to show you the old pads!
brakes19.jpg

Last edited:
Transmission breaker
Don
OP
Finishing off the cylinder compression with a big G-clamp
brakes20.jpg

Mounting first new pad in place.
brakes21.jpg

Second pad in, and offering up the caliper.
brakes22.jpg

Doing up the caliper hex bolts..
brakes23.jpg

All sorted!
brakes24.jpg

Wheel back on!
brakes25.jpg

Whip car around, and start on the other side! Where its all exactly the same, except it has sensors mounted on the pad for sensing wear to the pads :)

This is where the sensor plugs in...
sensor1.jpg

And this is where it sits on the pad, old v new!
sensor2.jpg

Sit back, relax and have a cup of tea :D

Last edited:
Soldato
Good little thread.

And dont forget to use a bit of copper slip to stop the pads squeeling and to torque all the bolts back up and your wheelnuts :)

Soldato
This brings back memories of a month or so ago...except the disk bolts were solid and rounded which needed drilling off and the caliper mounting bolts where an 18mm which is the socket we didnt have!!! G clamps for the win though,make life so easy.

Next time im going for a breaker bar as you dont want to **** a decent ratchet if you're putting a lot of force into it!

Oh and did you use disk brake cleaner on the disks as someone said?

Man of Honour
This brings back memories of a month or so ago...except the disk bolts were solid and rounded which needed drilling off and the caliper mounting bolts where an 18mm which is the socket we didnt have!!! G clamps for the win though,make life so easy.

Next time im going for a breaker bar as you dont want to **** a decent ratchet if you're putting a lot of force into it!

Oh and did you use disk brake cleaner on the disks as someone said?

I never bother putting those disc screws back in, they only sieze up. The wheel holds the disc on anyway.

Transmission breaker
Don
OP
The set i used for the fronts are not new from manufacturer, and were purchased second hand, there was no coating left on them, hence the discolouration!

The rears discs are new and do indeed have the same coating!

I made the mistake of not doing this a few years ago, and ended up with smoking pads and discs :D

Soldato
I think you'll find us posh lot use the appropriate caliper winding tool....

.....with a 1" socket sat inside the piston cos the sodding tool head is too small to have any effect!!!!:D

Nice work Malt - informative posts on car maintenance are a good idea.

Back
Top Bottom