*****Official ASUS MAXIMUS FORMULA thread*****

Associate
I got it :) dont know what im looking at though

my.php

Associate
Hi,

I have been having trouble with this MB for weeks. With help I got through the DET DRAM problems of some 1066 Memory and have managed to get the system to POST by dropping the frequency to 800 Mhz with CAS 4 (or CAS 5) 2T timings and a raised Voltage of 2.1V and FSB of 300.

My mistake may be the "bargain" OcUk memory I bought but if anyone has had any success in getting 4*1Gb of cheap sticks to work I would love to try and copy.

Memory is from OverClockers UK and I think the manufacturer is Elixir with specs;
- PC8500 1066MHz CAS 5-5-5-15
- 240pin, Non-ECC, Un-buffered DDR2 SDRAM DIMM
- 6 Layers Ultra Low Noises Shielded P! CB
- 2.0V-2.3V Power Supply

I have ambitions of OCing as far as I can, but my problem of the moment is getting the thing to POST if I put more than 2 sticks of RAM in it. With 1 or 2 it is fine, but if I put in a third I get the dreaded DET DRAM once again and the same message remains if I remove the sticks back down to one or try anything else. I must then resort to putting old DDR2 memory back in and resetting CMOS in order to get back to a successful POST.

I will try the 0701 BIOS tonight, but if anyone has any advice (or success with similar RAM) I would love to try and emulate it.

Associate
Hi , this might be your problem and it might not , but on my board and it has been talked about by at least one user on Xtreme systems is that one divider is broken and will not boot , with my ram and my previous ram it will boot either side of the divider but not on a particular one , sorry dont know what the ratio is as it has never booted :D
hope asus can fix it as i think it is a bios issue or maybe a problem on 1.02 version pcb's

Soldato
No it isn't. My primary is a 620w Liberty that can be seen in this pic:

http://www.ftaclan.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=268&c=4&userid=1

I fitted the 400w Liberty later on using an old ATX relay that I had hanging around. The 620 pretty well powers just the mobo and graphics. The 400w powers all drives, pumps, lighting, fans etc. Originally the 400 was just for the 8800GTX or crossfire but my old P5W64 and P5K deluxe took great offence to having the graphics pci-e connectors being powered from a different PSU to the one powering the mobo!

Either way the 400W cost peanuts and I have a lot of headroom (1020W in theory) and stability power-wise :).

Cool, I suppose only Quad Crossfire PC's actually need 1000W PSU's. I do love Enermax power supplies though, even though they're expensive, I'm seriously biased towards them.

Soldato
Hi,

I have been having trouble with this MB for weeks. With help I got through the DET DRAM problems of some 1066 Memory and have managed to get the system to POST by dropping the frequency to 800 Mhz with CAS 4 (or CAS 5) 2T timings and a raised Voltage of 2.1V and FSB of 300.

My mistake may be the "bargain" OcUk memory I bought but if anyone has had any success in getting 4*1Gb of cheap sticks to work I would love to try and copy.

Memory is from OverClockers UK and I think the manufacturer is Elixir with specs;
- PC8500 1066MHz CAS 5-5-5-15
- 240pin, Non-ECC, Un-buffered DDR2 SDRAM DIMM
- 6 Layers Ultra Low Noises Shielded P! CB
- 2.0V-2.3V Power Supply

I have ambitions of OCing as far as I can, but my problem of the moment is getting the thing to POST if I put more than 2 sticks of RAM in it. With 1 or 2 it is fine, but if I put in a third I get the dreaded DET DRAM once again and the same message remains if I remove the sticks back down to one or try anything else. I must then resort to putting old DDR2 memory back in and resetting CMOS in order to get back to a successful POST.

I will try the 0701 BIOS tonight, but if anyone has any advice (or success with similar RAM) I would love to try and emulate it.

Hi, I've had issue with 4x1gb before I changed to 2x2gb modules. Four of the 1gbs in will fail memtest, but 2x of either will not, my 2x2gb test ok but if I put 2x1gb in with my 2x2gb it will boot but bsod. I begining to think this motherboard has a immature bios, and hopefully Asus will eventually fix the issues. Where have we heard this before andyr?
ChrisC

Associate
I tried some different multipliers with the new BIOS 0701 and also changed FSB to 333 and now have it recognising 3*1Gb (a record for me). I cannot get it to recognise anything in the slot furthest from the CPU though (sorry, I do not know what it is called!).

However, I can stay in the BIOS as long as I want but like ChrisC I get all sorts of BSOD's as soon as I get to Vista 64.

Soldato
OP
Hhhm, all manner of memory issues :(

I initially had 4 x 1GB of the Geil Ultra 4-4-4-12 stuff in, and had no problems either POSTing or booting to Vista (Business 64-bit).....and now have 4x 1GB Patriot Extreme 4-4-4-12 RAM in place and this is also fine. For what it is worth, I have not adjusted any RAM settings at this time, including voltage, so everything is still on Auto.....and also worth noting that my RAM is 'regular' 800MHz stuff

To me, sounds like an immature BIOS issue.....

Associate
Well, I have my asus maximus SE, and I think its great..

Coupled with my Q6850, and the 8800GT, it works superbly. Will get pics and benchmarks this eve.

Caporegime
I wish I had held off for the passive cooled one now.

I was under the impression that this model (SE) doubled up as both passive cooled and watercooled for the hardcore lot, but from my testing it's not very good passive cooled at all (high northbridge temps/failing prime) at least when even mildly overclocking.

Running my EVGA 680i now been fine the last week not a single problem.

Last edited:
Associate
I wish I had held off for the passive cooled one now.

I was under the impression that this model (SE) doubled up as both passive cooled and watercooled for the hardcore lot, but from my testing it's not very good passive cooled at all (high northbridge temps/failing prime) at least when even mildly overclocking.

Running my EVGA 680i now been fine the last week not a single problem.

The passive one was out at the same time as the SE if you really think it gets too hot then you could always use something like this http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HS-003-NC&tool=3 or this http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HS-045-TR&groupid=701&catid=57&subcat=399

Caporegime
Soldato
Hi, looks like my motherboard has died, I was playing bioshock for about an hour then came out of it, which I've done with no issues before. Then I noticed all my temps were sky high, mb was at 66c, then my voltages went red! Switched it off now I get no post, dead screen, fans whirl, no light on the motherboard aside from green, amber and red next to the dram slots, the on/off and reset switches. I've tried to reset the bios but no go,any suggestions?
ChrisC

Last edited:
Associate
Associate
Hi, looks like my motherboard has died, I was playing bioshock for about an hour then came out of it, which I've done with no issues before. Then I noticed all my temps were sky high, mb was at 66c, then my voltages went red! Switched it off now I get no post, dead screen, fans whirl, no light on the motherboard aside from green, amber and red next to the dram slots, the on/off and reset switches. I've tried to reset the bios but no go,any suggestions?
ChrisC

Maybe your memory got killed?

Soldato
Hi, have a post now, I found that one of my fans on the rad had stopped spinning, hence the overheating. I guess the motherboard shut down to avoid damage...

EDIT: Yep panic over, vistim of my own stupidy really, fitted a uv tube and didn't see that I'd dislodged the cable that powers the fans to the rad. I guess it's good to know that the motherboard has it's own failsafe...

ChrisC

Last edited:
Caporegime
Not 100% because I don't have one but either of those should fit fine, have a look here http://www.clunk.org.uk/forums/reviews/124-asus-maximus-formula-se-x38-living-review.html it shows you can remove the mosfet part of the cooling system. If you do plan on doing this make sure that you heat up the board with a hairdryer or something to take the heatsync off as the northbridge has been ripped off the board by some people.

hmmm, thanks for the info but it sounds very risky think I might just sell it on rather than spending more on 3rd party coolers and risking destroying it. :eek:

Anyone wanna buy one? :p

Back
Top Bottom