Gauntlet-related contest for you Foldy types.

Man of Honour
Right, so you origami lot don't feel sad missing out on the SETI Gauntlet, here's your very own contest.

The Competition: Using your skill and judgement, deduce the total number of cobblestones awarded to the OcUK SETI team over the entire Kings Gauntlet, as stated in the official results.

The Closing Date: 7PM GMT on Sunday 11th November. Yes, that means you'll have the first weeks' gauntlet stats to help you.

The Prize: Two weeks folding time on five SMP-capable PCs (three E6600s and two older PCs).

Tie-breaker: In the event of a tie, earliest entry wins.

Other Rules: Anyone who holds a Folding@home account, even Gauntlet participants, may enter. One entry per forum member/folding account (e.g. Team ms9cw count as having one entry) - entrants who make multiple entries will be disqualified. All folding will be for Team 10. Results will be announced within 72 hours after the Gauntlet results are announced. This competition may be withdrawn or altered without notice should there be problems with the Gauntlet, the hardware to be used for folding, or the competition itself. Organiser's decision is final.

I will not be collating entries until after the closing date - so you'll need to use your judgement (or each other) to pick a good score.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
Looks like I'll have to remove one of the E6600s from the prize. Initial tests suggest that enabling VMWare support on one of my servers is the cause of the last week's Team OcUK site nightmares. Tests are ongoing.

Man of Honour
OP
Yup, that's the one. Looks like it won't be SMP folding again. Don't fancy going 64-bit native on it.

Spoke too soon - another disk error. Seems to happen when the disk is stressed hard.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
The total is back up to five PCs - two E6600s (one overclocked), Xeon 3060, and a couple others that sneak in within the deadlines. :)

Don't forget - Sunday.

Also, this is now open to SETI'ers as well - you can have your choice of origami or little green men. :)

Associate
@ Mr. B - finding your stats site real good, but is it normal to have your pending credit keep rising (mine's at 2k now)

You are right about Mr B's stats site :), and your pending credit, I'm afraid:(

My pending credit is about 23k :eek:

As I understand it, you don't get your credit confirmed until someone (or possibly even two someones) returns the same exact workunit with almost exactly similar results.

So if, like any self-respecting OCUKer, you are running a bunch of super crunchers, you may have to wait while someone using a ZX80 wth a dodgy RAM pack to complete the unit.

Meanwhile, it sits as pending credit. Frustrating, but it's the way the system works, and it IS supposed to be better for the science - we ARE all doing it just for the science, aren't we? :D :D

Alan Woodford

Soldato
Doh! - really should have had my home rig on seti a good few days before the comp, I thought 48h would be enough (silly me) never mind, be back on serious science soon enough :p
Edit: that said i do think your sig alan is one of the best on this forum :D

Associate
@ Mr. B - finding your stats site real good, but is it normal to have your pending credit keep rising (mine's at 2k now)

They have made some change over the last few months at Seti.

Most units are now initially replicated once (given to two people) and the quorum is two.

The units are longer to crunch and have longer deadlines.

The result is units can be 'out there' with one result returned and still waiting for a second result to return for quite a while.

For instance, I downloaded a unit 5th Oct. Returned 6th Oct, deadline happens to be tomorrow.

If the other computer doesn't return it (it has 864 units from 11th October backwards- something not right there I think), then the unit will get re-issued with another month or so deadline.

Maybe I'll get those points for Christmas......

Soldato
Maybe I'll get those points for Christmas......

Hmmmmmmm, when involved in a two week compertition this really doesn't help :rolleyes: but most of my pending credit are in a batch so I guess I'll get them all at once - knowing my luck about 3 days after the finish date :p

some how that always more anoying that 3 weeks or 3 months later :D

anyway nice to know I've not broken anything - and it's just normal S@h life.

Back
Top Bottom