The Official Samsung SM226BW Thread!

Associate
Well finally got it today, a little disappointed with the settings out of the box, far too bright and takes some time to get it close to being right - I'd guess this one wasn't a Samsung panel.

Desktop performance is good, though in gaming it doesn't display blacks very well.

Associate
Can anyone recommend a setup for the SM226BW - I'm pretty sure I have either the A or C panel and the colours and contrast just don't feel right and I can't seem to get them to a good setting no matter what I try.

Soldato
Geezer said:
For the 360 owners-which resolution are running it in and how does it perform?
Will have a check when i get home this evening Geezer! :)

As far as performance - it's the best screen i've run the 360 on. Tried 19" belinea, 22" belinea, projector and TV. The sammy eclipses them all!

Also just got the HD-DVD drive for the 360 and the movie playback is nothing short of excellent!

gt

Associate
Thanks gt_junkie :D

I'm also interested to know if anyone is using it with a PS3 via DVI also. What resolution are you running it at and how are the results? When playing PAL PS2 games or DVDs, will the monitor accept the 50Hz signal or does it reject it?

Geezer

Soldato
Geezer said:
Can anyone answer my above questions, I was hoping to order today/tomorrow!
Hi Geezer,

Sorry for the delay - been dead hectic! :(

I can confirm that with the VGA cable i run my 360 @ 1360x768. It looks ace and very sharp. Sounds strange as i always thought an LCD running outside of it's native res looked pretty poor but the 360 shines.

Don't know about the PS3 (not enough cash) but i can say the XBOX is excellent on this screen.

For the money i think it's perfectly good value and (in LCD terms) is a very fast panel too.

gt

Soldato
Geezer said:
Thanks gt_junkie, sounds great :)
Now I just need to decide between the 20" and 22" :D
Not wanting to throw a spanner in the works but the 21" 215TW always got good reviews too. Plus it's a PVA panel rather than TN.

Same price as the 22" too. :)

I remember there being some issues with backlight bleed but past that everyone raved about it.

I do love my 22" though - and if you want a black frame then it's the one to go for!

gt

Associate
Thanks for the suggestion but I'm pretty much sold on the SM226BW, I just need to confirm it'll also take 720p 50Hz from the PS3 for upscaled DVDs before I go for it :D

Associate
Hi all, my Viewsonic VX has broke after 4 years of use and its time for a new monitor. I could probabaly get the Viewsonic repaired but it will cost me just as much as a new monitor so just gonna put the extra to this Samsung SM226BW. I have a few questions before I go ahead and buy this monitor....

Can someone give me the overall measurements W/H/D including the black frame ? Also does OCUK sell the 'S' version of this LCD?

Associate
gt_junkie said:
Not wanting to throw a spanner in the works but the 21" 215TW always got good reviews too. Plus it's a PVA panel rather than TN.

Same price as the 22" too. :)

I remember there being some issues with backlight bleed but past that everyone raved about it.
Agreed, I bought two new 215TW's a few days ago, though I paid a lot less than what the 226BW costs. I think they are fabulous, I have no issues with backlight bleed.

Associate
After my Philips 200W Brilliance went pftt this weekend. I read these forums looking for a new monitor for primary gaming use.
The 226BW sounded great as did all the reviews. But like many things there can sometimes be a down side. In the 266BW case - the panel lottery. Or so I feared.

However needs must so nipped out yesterday and picked up the 266BW. With caution I unpacked it as I half expected to be taking it back.

Connected it all up and WOW. OMG the quality of this display in my opinion was superb. No colour variation problem, no bluey white tinge. In fact no problems at all. This has to be one of my better PC purchases. It really is that good. CSS looks awesome. Movies great and the text on office and Internet razer sharp.

As already reported there is no way from the back of the set to identify which panel I ended up with. I went into the service menu and little info there as well.

So all doubters it goes to show that you can hit it lucky with the Panel lottery issue.

Either way I am well pleased.

Associate
I just recieved one of these today and I'm really disappointed with it :(

I've never seen "ghosting" on a monitor before but if I had to say what was wrong with mine, I'd definately say it was ghosting. Or something similar. There are trails up to 1 cm being left behind while playing games. I experienced none of that on my now aging Viewsonic 19", although that wasn't a TN panel. But aren't TNs meant to be better for gaming?

I can re-iterate what Byron_Hinson says about the colours seeming pretty naff, but I expect I can sort that out with some calibration. Do people have recommendations regarding MagicTune settings?

It also seems to have what I would consider higher than normal backlight bleed, although I could live with that on its own.

I know the whole issue concerning the "panel lottery" is supposedly a non-issue, but I do wonder if maybe I drew a short straw here? Is there any way to tell without unscrewing the back? Rather not void any warranty just yet. Then again, I'm wary of RMAing it incase I get a worse one next time :( Thankfully I did manage to have no dead pixels, although there was a stuck one which got moving after a hearty flick.

Bit of a ramble, I just guess I expected a lot more for my money.

EDIT: Does anyone know if I would even have a case trying to return it? I think Samsung's position is you pay for the model, but not for any specific panel. But it really is just unacceptable for the price and advertised specifications for it to perform like it does.

Last edited:
Associate
Hi all.

I havnt looked at this thread in a long time., Ive had my monitor now for months and its still the best thing i ever bought. Ther is NO ghosting on my S panel. It is superb. Stunning, fantastic, I love it. CRT? erm remind me waht CRT is again? :)

I play both FPS and RTS and I can honestly say there ghosting does not exist. I am sure other similar monitors are just as good. I read so much about ghosting etc and thought these monotors would be a poor second best to my trusty Sony CRT. How wrong I was . I will never ever look back at a CRT again

Long live whatever the future has in store fotr us lucky PC owners :)

deks

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom