***The Official Asus Eee PC Thread***

Mav

Mav

Associate
there`s a cracking post about Nite `ing XP here :

http://forum.eeeuser.com/viewtopic.php?id=1923

it worked for me .. just follow this guys pic`s an coments an ya can`t go wrong .
got my install down to 780 mb

all i used was a USB ext DVDrom

it was just like installing XP on a desktop ..... Np at all

then use the disk that comes with the eeePc for XP drivers an bingo ya done ..

after that it`ll leave at least 2+ Gb for what ya want ..

the just ran compress on the drive an i end up with 1.5 gb after i installed :

Quicktime
winamp
winzip
winrar
adobe 8
VLC
MS office "full install" 900mb
Acdsee

an some nice Desktop pics shrunk down to 800x500

i`ve had the eeepc for a wk now running Linux , it was nice but i missed XP
and seeing as i bought this for my job/work i realy needed XP ..

its the best buy i`ve made, better than my PDA but not as good as a full Laptop !!

but the benfit of having a small light laptop out weights lugging a full one around .. an i still have all the options that a full one would offer ..

Man of Honour
I have windows XP on the internal SHDC card now and it seems fast and responsive - I just hope the SD card out lives the rest of the system :S also using setfsb you can clock it back to 900MHz (or beyond - upto about 960MHz is stable without needing other modifications) but it does make it hotter (+3C at idle +5C underload) and hammers the battery. But it does give a decent speed - superPi times are faster by about 30% and gaming performance almost doubles (probably due to the combined effect of faster CPU and faster RAM performance as the GPU uses shared RAM).

Associate
The eeeuser forum survey suggest the 7B revision are missing this. The dictionary app has an english to chinese category, so im not sure if it makes that much of a difference which country it affects - just the 7X revision. Someone on that survey with a white 7B revision board reports theirs missing it. I have a 7A revision.

Associate
Are the ones from OcUK coming with the battery that has a capacity of 5200mAh? Seems there are ones with a lower capacity (4400mah) and the battery lasts *roughly* an hour less people have reported.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Are the ones from OcUK coming with the battery that has a capacity of 5200mAh? Seems there are ones with a lower capacity (4400mah) and the battery lasts *roughly* an hour less people have reported.
That the 4G Surf rather than the 4G - differences are mainly the webcam and the higher battery capacity. Id assume that if it has a webcam then its the 4G model...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ASUS_Eee_PC#Specifications

ps3ud0 :cool:

Associate
That the 4G Surf rather than the 4G - differences are mainly the webcam and the higher battery capacity. Id assume that if it has a webcam then its the 4G model...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ASUS_Eee_PC#Specifications

ps3ud0 :cool:
Ah that's good news then, so it's just the surf coming with the low capacity battery, as i read some people complaining about there normal ones having it, why i aksed;):).

Associate
i'm thinking about heading to ocuk tomorrow to pick one of these up, they looks great for my needs(net and msn around the house) i've just ordered an ipod touch so i'm not sure if i should wait to see how that handles the web first or not.

does anyone have both and would you say its worth the £240 from ocuk? i've got a brand new laptop that i've had for 6months that i just don't use so i'm not sure if this would be another impulse buy lol

Permabanned
Unless you have a specific need, don't buy it.
I'm planning to use it for downstairs web browser (wireless LAN connect to wired LAN components) Also remote control/music selector for Squeezebox's, and perhaps Slimserver as well.

Man of Honour
Woot got it to the proper 900MHz running fine and even managed about 10% overclock before instability set in :D (follow setfsb guide on the eee user forum).

Back
Top Bottom