iTouch vs iPhone

Associate
I'm currently considering this dilemma. I've looked at both instore, and am suitably impressed by both. But I can't help but thinking the near £900 I'd pay for the iPhone + £35/month contract for 18 months is nearing on the abso-*******-lutely extortionate, especially after reading several reviews of the iPhone's 'quirks' that would appear to prove tiresome with prolonged use.

Coupled with the fact that when my contract finished I'd probably have to shell out the same amount again for the iPhone v2 in a year and a halfs time.

So has anybody else faced this dilemma? And if so what were your deciding factors? The only thing that's swaying me towards the iPhone is the fact, well, it's a phone (negating the need for me to carry round the iTouch + Phone; not to mention the awesome integration with things like Google Maps etc), and the built-in camera which I've been impressed with in-store (though the lack of flash and 2MP is bordering on crapness). Also, it's more of a PDA than the Touch from what I can summise, ergo (I've just watched the Matrix :o), it has things like Notes etc.

Comments and suggestions on a postcard please :)

Soldato
But I can't help but thinking the near £900 I'd pay for the iPhone + £35/month contract for 18 months is nearing on the abso-*******-lutely extortionate,

Its £900 including the contract. Not on top of. I'm sure you knew that though just making sure.

I had the same dilemma but it solved itself as soon as they released the tariff prices. £35 per month for 200 minutes and 200 texts? I have a hard time justifying the £18 per month I pay already and I get a lot more than that. And yes, I am aware that includes "unlimited" data but I'd have to seriously hammer the thing on the web to get anywhere near what you could call value for money. Once the novelty wore off it would get sporadic use at best.

I love my gadgets and the idea of having a phone/iPod sounds great to me but even though I could afford it, theres no way I'm paying that. When they release a 3G, sim-free iPhone with maybe an integrated GPS module then I'll consider one.

As it stands, I bought an iPod touch. It satisfied my gadget side and also my wallet.

Permabanned
id gor for the touch if any....the camera on the iphone is complete s****.....buy a cheaper cell get the touch, you get best of both worlds :)

£900 pounds :0 ....youve gotta be nuts!! all the touch is is the iphone without the damn phone and cam...what a waste of money!

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm currently considering this dilemma. I've looked at both instore, and am suitably impressed by both. But I can't help but thinking the near £900 I'd pay for the iPhone + £35/month contract for 18 months is nearing on the abso-*******-lutely extortionate, especially after reading several reviews of the iPhone's 'quirks' that would appear to prove tiresome with prolonged use.

Coupled with the fact that when my contract finished I'd probably have to shell out the same amount again for the iPhone v2 in a year and a halfs time.

So has anybody else faced this dilemma? And if so what were your deciding factors? The only thing that's swaying me towards the iPhone is the fact, well, it's a phone (negating the need for me to carry round the iTouch + Phone; not to mention the awesome integration with things like Google Maps etc), and the built-in camera which I've been impressed with in-store (though the lack of flash and 2MP is bordering on crapness). Also, it's more of a PDA than the Touch from what I can summise, ergo (I've just watched the Matrix :o), it has things like Notes etc.

Comments and suggestions on a postcard please :)

Are you currently on contract?

I'd recommend you just buy on from auction (£300ish) and get an o2 PAYG or a one of those SIM only contacts from o2.

Soldato
Sorry to take this OT a bit, but brother is in Thailand at the moment, i'm thinking that the iPod Touch will be cheaper out there than over here so might ask him to pick me one up on way home, will I have any problems with charging in the UK or do they all charge via usb?

Soldato
Get a 16GB Ipod Touch, then get a contract with a free mobile for however much you want IMO. As much as I appreciate the Iphone for what it can do, it should have had the same 16GB storage as the iTouch to make it more of an appealing option IMO.

Soldato
02 simplicity, £15 a month for 200 mins 400 texts. Bolt unlimited data on their for £7.50 and you have a better contract than the iPhones but for £22.50 p/m. Then just grab an iphone from somewhere else :)

Soldato
Charges via USB, though you do get a mains-USB adapter in the box.

Thanks mate, will see if i can contact my bro and see how much they are out there!
Just done a bit of scouting on the net though and they dont look cheaper at all, more expensive in some cases.

Last edited:
Permabanned
mate has an iphone, and just like an ipod it gets scratched to **** in your pocket.

Sorry but that is rubbish. My iPhone isn't scratched at all and hasn't been treated well, I just chuck it in my pocket. I've seen older Apple products that scratch easily and I was worried the iPhone would be the same but I can honestly say the screen is the most resilient one I've ever seen, especially compared to my N95 which looks battered.

Associate
Sorry but that is rubbish. My iPhone isn't scratched at all and hasn't been treated well, I just chuck it in my pocket. I've seen older Apple products that scratch easily and I was worried the iPhone would be the same but I can honestly say the screen is the most resilient one I've ever seen, especially compared to my N95 which looks battered.

Agreed, my iPhone doesnt have any screen protector or case and it hasn't got a mark since I bought it.

I was thinking about touch vs iPhone a few months ago. The pros of the iPhone over the touch for me:-

- iPhone doesnt have the 'mirrored back' of the touch which gets scratched so easy
- iPhone has a dock included in the box
- iPhone has physical volume controls on the side of the phone, with the touch you have to get it out of your pocket to adjust the volume up or down!!
- iPhone has a speaker which lets you gather your friends round to watch and also hear classic Youtube clips
- chrome bezel on the iPhone looks a bit nicer ;)

Soldato
if you dont want to carry 2 devices about then get an n95/n82/viewty with a big mem card

iphone is far far far too expensive. i dont think id even pay 300 for it

Back
Top Bottom