Running cost of an RX8

Associate
Hi there, im currently looking to purchase a pre-registered RX8 and wondered what the running costs were like. I've seen the fuel consumption and it appears a lil worse than say a Civic Type R. but is there anything else i need to worry about?

/edit did some deeper digging, i thought this forums didnt allow searching with 3 characters, but it seems its much more thirsty than i assumed... hmm making me re-think now...

Last edited:
Soldato
fuel consumption will be a LOT worse than a civic, oil consumption is very high too, and tax is in the highest band. I guess the servicing and repair costs will be pretty high too given that nobody really knows much about rotary engines.

Man of Honour
Yup, I once did work experience in the Mazda garage.

And an RX-8 was sat there for a week or two, cos know one had a clue about wankel engines.

Soldato
mate at work has one. always moaning about it, as if you switch it off while the engine is cold and leave it over night (without reving it very high just before you switch it off) you wont be able to start it until you drain the petrol out of the engine.

Also it uses (as said) a lot of petrol!

Compared to the type r, if you dont enter the higher revs, the type-r should have semi-decent mpg.

Man of Honour
A fella I work with bought one of the 230bhp models a couple of months ago. Expect an average of 15mpg or worse and oil top ups every couple of weeks. If you don't do many miles that's not really a problem but for any sort of considerable mileage I would pick something else. Not just for the running costs but the engine is crap for the purpose.

I test drove both models about 6 months ago and was very disappointed. I wanted to like this car so much as it ticked so many boxes but the engine really got on my ****. You put your foot down, it screams up to 9k rpm but the car doesnt feel like it's accelerating. It just gets noisier.

Whilst the handling was great, it has to be one of the most underwhelming drives I have had in a so called "sports coupe".

Soldato
A friend of mine has one aswell, he's desperately trying to sell it after 8 months of ownership but can't get rid. Bought it for 13k can't even get 10k back for it.
Horrific mpg and not that fast.

Permabanned
A fella I work with bought one of the 230bhp models a couple of months ago. Expect an average of 15mpg or worse and oil top ups every couple of weeks. If you don't do many miles that's not really a problem but for any sort of considerable mileage I would pick something else. Not just for the running costs but the engine is crap for the purpose.

I test drove both models about 6 months ago and was very disappointed. I wanted to like this car so much as it ticked so many boxes but the engine really got on my ****. You put your foot down, it screams up to 9k rpm but the car doesnt feel like it's accelerating. It just gets noisier.

Whilst the handling was great, it has to be one of the most underwhelming drives I have had in a so called "sports coupe".

you keep saying the engine is crap with only 9k rpm.....name another coupe for this price range which is better????? you CANNOT!!!its been voted best coupe for a few years running.....its a terrific car for having fun, handles great in straight lines and in corners.....yeah the mpg is pretty poor around 19mpg but also depends how heavy your right foot is.....Its a sports car if you want good milage and low fuel consumption dont even consider this car......i have one and its cost a lot in fuel over the last 2 years, oil consumption is pretty high if your a daily use driver, would reccomend checking the oil every couple of weeks or so,flooding can be a bit of a prob if its not left to heat up properly, you cant really move it from drive to drive and not expect it to be flooded after :) if you just drive it a couple -few times a week oil wont be so much a problem....im selling mine soon as im leaving the UK for a while and i know the resale value is gonna be so bad, like the guy above said 10k probs max....which is really poor considering only 2 years ago was around 13.5k...the insurance is not in the highest.......a 192 bhp is in group 15, a 230bhp is group 16 and a PZ is groupe 17 iirc........was on top gear a couple of years ago and beat an M3 around the track or was on par.....for a car half the price of an M3 thats bloody good!

a BM 325 M sport coupe at around 28k.....The rex imo has better specs, top speed of the BM is around 148, the rex is 140, the BM's 0-60 time is 7.3.....the rex's is iirc 6.9....rex has better handling too especially if you stiffened the suspension even more (like a PZ model)....+ its like 8k cheaper, soo theres not many IF ANY other coupes out there for the same price with as good of specs and looks.

if your willing to spend a bit more id go for the 350z if i had my time around again with the money ive spent on the rex......a 53-54 reg 350z for around 15-16k(where as a 53-54 reg rex is around 10ish k you could get a 3.5 V6 (probs would use as much petrol as the rex) ) 0-62 is around 5.9 and the top speed is around 155, bhp is around 280 and around 24mpg comes with a better resale value too!! and no oil to worry about :) but still not in the same price range as the rex so its hard to beat.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I was half tempted till i saw the engine flooding thing and much lower mpg. Because the MK Mazda is doing 3k off a brand new 192bhp model. but then i found out it was 7500 rpm...

o well thanks for the comments helpful people as always

Soldato
Having driven both the Rex and the CTR (assuming you already have the CTR), I actually much preferred the Civic. The RX8 makes lots of noise but doesn't actually feel like its going anywhere, the civic at leasts shifts once its in VTEC.
For all its flaws and thirst, there is no great possitives that bring it back into the realms of being a car I would consider buying.

Associate
you keep saying the engine is crap with only 9k rpm.....name another coupe for this price range which is better????? you CANNOT!!!its been voted best coupe for a few years running.....

He didn't say only 9k, he said it screams up to 9k but doesn't feel like its accelerating.

As for voted the best coupe, have you looked at what gets voted European Car of the Year each and every year? Kinda shows you that the fact they won some award doesn't mean the car is good.

I'm not saying the RX-8 is a bad car, it's not but there are plenty better out there.......

if your willing to spend a bit more id go for the 350z if i had my time around again with the money ive spent on the rex......a 53-54 reg 350z for around 15-16k

.....agreed. The 350Z is a far better car.

Soldato
It costs too much to buy and run for what it is.
Which is an ugly Japanese coupe.

Rilot had one didnt he? he was less than impressed with it at the end of his ownership, i remember something about the Aloys rotting almost as soon as he drove out the show room.

Permabanned
an annoying thing with mazda and the rx8 is...is that they must have brought out atleast 3-5 "limited edition" models and only one has been worth it, the PZ....think there working on bringing a new RX8 out for 2010 tho...and yeah i think the jap version has a few more bhp!

Back
Top Bottom