Can't connect!

Associate
Hi,

Just built my first PC in over a decade and feeling pretty chuffed as it all went smoothly!

Anyway, just went to connect to thenet and nothing. I have sky broadband and when I got my last PC I just connected the box and it worked no software loaded or anything.

On the new PC zilch is happening? Any ideas please?

Be really good If I could saort this, as the daughter's come to pick up the PC toomorrow!

Thanks,
Martin

box

box

Associate
Is it switched on? :D

Seriously, might be a good idea to give us a better idea of your setup. How are you connecting to the internet? Do you have a network? Wireless? Wired?

Associate
OP
I dopey but not that bad;)

The PC has on board lan and I'm connect via cable straight to the sky modem, with a network cable. I'm using this connection and just swapping PCs.

Thanks,
Martin

Soldato
Is it switched on? :D

Seriously, might be a good idea to give us a better idea of your setup. How are you connecting to the internet? Do you have a network? Wireless? Wired?

Start back at this, the first reply to your question.

Just what have you bought and built. What hardware, what OS, what drivers e.t.c.

Did you follow your last PC routine "when I got my last PC I just connected the box and it worked no software loaded or anything" ?

Associate
OP
Thanks guys fell asleep last night, big dinner!

Well tried loading the sky software, to see if that had any bearing, sadly no. Soke to their help line who think, I don't have a Lan card installed?

Gonna try DOS now:

Host name: pc name
primary Dns suffix :
Mode type:unknown
ip routing enabled: yes
wins proxy enabled: no

Ethernet adapter local area connection:

Connection-specific DNS suffix:
Description: NVIDA NForce networkinng controller
physical address: 00-14-85-30-90-B3
DHCP enabled: No
Ip address: 192.168.0.1
Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
Default gateway:

Pinging says four packets were sent with no loss of data. trip times all 0 ms

Soldato
Your not using DHCP and have no default gateway listed. Set your network adapter (card) to auto configuration for its TCP/IP settings. Double check that the router (if you have one, you've not said) has DHCP turned on.

Your also not reading the other replies. What is your PC? What components are you using. I'll guess it's all connected to Sky.

Associate
OP
Thanks, the router is a netgear and I can't see anything to switch on!

The Pc consists of gigabyte GA-K8n51GMF-9 board and 3500 Athlon, with a gig of ram and an hitachi deskstar, Lan and graphics are on the board.

Where do I go to set the card?

Last edited:
Soldato
After ensuring that your router has DHCP turned On.

Open Network Connections

Click the connection you want to configure, and then, under Network Tasks, click Change settings of this connection.

Do one of the following:

• If the connection is a local area connection, on the General tab, under This connection uses the following items, click Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), and then click Properties.

• If this is a dial-up, VPN, or incoming connection, click the Networking tab. In This connection uses the following items, click Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), and then click Properties.

• If you want IP settings to be assigned automatically, click Obtain an IP address automatically, and then click OK.

Then restart your PC and after the restart, in a DOS window type - ipconfig /all and post back the results.

Associate
OP
Right had a go and DHCP is on, however when I type 192.168.01 on the new machine. I "the page cannot be displayed"?

In Lan properties Internet protocol (TCP/IP) is selected!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom