recommend me a AV Receiver

Associate
im looking to purchase my seperates this year :)

looking firstly for an AV Receiver, looking to spend about £300-400 on it. looking to use it for my wii/xb360, TV,PC, DVD and my ipod on the odd occassion.

i have seen a a few Teac RV-S2100, would this be up to handling what i want it to do ?

ITR

ITR

Associate
Onkyo SR605.... Great until you try and play a media center bluray player over hdmi.... HDCP fault every time. Also had the AMP swapped for another one and it exactly the same :(

Soldato
You sent the amp back because your pc was throwing up a hdcp fault? my pc does the same thing with my 805 but...suprise.... its my pc thats at fault. did you bother trying anydvd before you sent it back? my amp works fine with my ps3, so i know it isnt the amp.

ITR

ITR

Associate
@james.miller - So... if its not the amp then why does the HTPC work without fault when you plug it into the tv direct via hdmi? And also why do Onkyo tecnical support say they know there is an "issue" with it and the firmware needs to be updated even tho the serial number check on the website tells you it doesn't need it...

tbh your partly right in saying that its a PC fault in so much as my PS3 also works fine through it, so does a standalone Bluray player.

Dont get me wrong, its a top class amp and only really a minor niggle. I got round my problem in the end by plugging direct into the tv in hdmi 2 and connecting the audio via digital coax to the amp. My KEF 5.1's now rattle my letterbox.

Associate
I was looking at the 605 but currently there's no way of outputting HD Audio via HDMI from a PC, all the touted solutions use SPDIF which doesn't have the bandwidth....

Gonna wait on a solution for that first.

Associate
I'm looking to replace my Yamaha DSP-A5 AV amp - a star in it's day, but getting a little long in the tooth now (hey, 7 years is a long time in in home cinema terms).

Can anyone with an Onkyo 605 tell me if it can be set up to use an external stereo amp for the front left/right speakers?

Soldato
I was looking at the 605 but currently there's no way of outputting HD Audio via HDMI from a PC, all the touted solutions use SPDIF which doesn't have the bandwidth....

Gonna wait on a solution for that first.

The new Intel G35 chipset, has integrated HDMI that will pass LPCM over HDMI (As of yet, it's only HDMI 1.2, so I think it won't pass the pure DTS MA bitstream, just the LPCM) I am thinking of selling my 'old' beloved Denon 3802 and get the onkyo.. 605 to get a better experience...

Soldato
Sorry to take this slightly OT and hijacking, but how does the Sony STR DG910 compare to the Onkyo 605. im not too sure which to get out of the two but the Sony is over £100 cheaper and has an extra hdmi port....why is the onkyo worth £100 more?

sid

sid

Soldato
Sorry to take this slightly OT and hijacking, but how does the Sony STR DG910 compare to the Onkyo 605. im not too sure which to get out of the two but the Sony is over £100 cheaper and has an extra hdmi port....why is the onkyo worth £100 more?

The sound quality (theoretically and subjectively) must be better.

Higher quality parts as well.

More powerful as well in terms of RMS output

Soldato

The Onkyo 605 supports DTS HD and Dolby TrueHD which the Sony does not, which is one of the main reasons it's so popular.

Soldato
I picked up a Denon AVR-888 last week and am very happy with it. I was able to pick it up US $600 so I think it would fall into your budget there.

It takes some initial setup to get the cleanest sound, but the system does it all automatically. It will sample 6 points in your room and adjust each of the 7 100w amps and EQs for the best conditions.

100w does not sound like much, but the power is so clean... I didn't realise my Klipsch could sound like that! I guess I've been feeding them poorly for the last 15 years. I've had them connected to a 1993 model Kenwood that says it's rated at 130wpc, but it didn't even come close to the real output power of the Denon.

I'm very pleased with the purchase. Now, just to get some real surround speakers. ;)

The only thing that disappointed me, and it's really small potatoes, is that there are no cassette I/Os on it. I really didn't think to look when I purchased it. I suppose an AV receiver is meant for more video entertainment, though. But it's strange it has a phono input but no tape. *confused*

Back
Top Bottom