BMW Warranty advice

Associate
What type of car is it?
What mileage?
Has it given you much grief in its period of existence, mechanically or electrically?
What price is your warranty?

I was tempted to extend mine but because so little had went wrong with the car up until the 3-yr warranty end in November, I didn't bother. I did give it a lot of thought though. BMW would have charged me £900 with £100 excess for another year, and WD would have been anything between £500 and £800 depending on what I wanted covered. It's always going to be an unknown, but depends on those conditions I mentioned imho.

Man of Honour
It's a 320d Sport. You NEED a warranty becuase that car is likely to suffer from the huge design issue with the M47 diesel whereby the swirl flaps on the manifold break and.. get sucked into the engine. Which is then completely toast.

The BMW one isn't really worth the money, it used to be one of the best warranties in the business now it's pretty much the worst. Huge list of excluded parts, its pricey and it has a large excess.

WD is worth a try - they can be a pain to get money out of but pay out in the end. You can opt for main dealer cover so BMW can still repair the car.

Man of Honour
Even thought the BMW warranty has gone down hill over the last few years, I'm so glad I renewed on the M3, its saved me a fortune this year.

I'm sure it has. However, the fact remains another warranty would have saved you a bigger fortune. Most M3 owners have swapped away for a third party alternative - I'm sure there are recommended suppliers on BM3W.

Caporegime
OP
Thanks for the input.

Yes its a 320D Sport 03.
Currently done 61,000 miles

Had an adaptation reset done but other than that the Car has been perfect.

Just got a Quote from Warranty Direct.

ExtraCare Policy £397.01 for the year. Franchised Dealer

The items under the following list are covered. Any item not specifically mentioned is not covered.

ENGINE
Cylinder head, internal bushings, oil pump, crankshaft and bearings, appet gear, valves & guides (excluding burnt or pitted valves), pistons & rings, cylinder bores/liners, con rods, distributor drive, starter ring gear, flywheel, autodrive plate, camshaft drive belts, camshaft & cam followers, cylinder head gasket, cylinder block, crankshaft pulley, turbo/intercooler units, rear main seal, rocker assembly, push rods, timing gears, timing belts & chains.

CLUTCH
The master and slave cylinder, clutch cable and pedal assembly.

TRANSMISSION (Manual, Automatic and Overdrive)
Manual Transmission: gears, synchromesh hubs & rings, selectors, shafts, bearings, drive chains plus gearlever and bushes.
Automatic Transmission: torque converters, brake bands, valve block, governor (manual & electric) oil pump and seals, drive chains, gears, input shaft oil seal, clutches, servos and modulator valve, bearings plus gearlever and bushes.
Overdrive: Gears, shafts and bearings.

FRONT WHEEL DRIVE UNIT
Crown wheel and pinion, differential unit, bushes and bearings, plus external drive shafts, couplings, C.V. joints and rubber boots, hubs, drive flange and universal joints.

REAR AXLE
Crown wheel and pinion, differential unit, shafts, bearings, C.V. joints and rubber boots, oil seal and rear hub, & drive flange.

FOUR WHEEL DRIVE SYSTEM
Front differential, inter-axle differential and lock, rear differential and lock, bearings and shafts, couplings, C.V. joints and rubber boots, hubs and drive flange.

PROPSHAFT
Propshaft, universal joints, centre bearings and oil seals.

SUSPENSION
Shock absorbers, upper and lower wishbones, bushes, springs, spheres, displacer units and wheel bearings, self levelling suspension unit, reservoir, pump and regulator valve.

BRAKING SYSTEM
Master cylinder; brake servo unit, diesel vacuum pump, callipers, wheel cylinders, pressure regulator, ABS pump and control unit. ABS pressure reducing and proportioning valves, handbrake control cables and linkages, brake pedal assembly, self-adjusting mechanisms, abs sensors.

COOLING SYSTEM
Radiator, thermostat, water pump, heater matrix, engine oil cooler, viscous fan, thermostat housing, temperature gauge, electronic control units and control linkages.

STEERING
Rack and pinion, steering box, idler box, column shaft, couplings, steering column tilt mechanism, power steering unit including pump, pressure pipes and reservoir.

FUEL SYSTEM
Mechanical and electrical fuel pumps, airflow meter, injectors (including injector cooling system), overrun cut-off valve, pressure regulator, sensors, throttle body, fuel gauge and tank sender unit. D.I.S. unit and controls, injection pump, injectors, glow plugs, electromagnetic cut-off.

ELECTRONIC IGNITION
Ignition ECU and Ignition Coils where fitted as standard by the manufacturer.

AIR CONDITIONING
Air conditioning compressor pump, condenser, electronic control unit, sensors, magnetic clutch and valves, evaporator and reservoir, fan control and sensors.

ELECTRICS
Internal failure of the starter motor, alternator, regulator, distributor, windscreen wiper motor and tailgate wiper motor, heating fan motor, cooling fan motor, horn, central locking solenoids and motors, electric window motors and sunroof motors, electric door mirror motors and aerial motors, front and rear windscreen washer motors, headlamp adjuster motors, cruise control unit, relays, rev counter, radiator cooling fan, indicator flasher unit.

CASINGS
Casings are covered provided they have been damaged as a result of failure of an insured part or by the consequential damage of an insured part failing.

OIL LEAKS
Notwithstanding exclusion 11 of the policy, this covers the cylinder head gasket and seal or gasket replacement that necessitates the removal of the engine, gearbox/drive unit and drive shafts or differential unit to carry out repairs.

BODYWORK
Tailgate suspension struts.

Only the components originally fitted as standard by the manufacturer are covered unless agreed in writing by us.

Will this policy cover my ass if anthing goes **** up?

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Edit: I have to pay 10% towards parts as the car has done over 60,000 miles with WD.

Seems a lot considering I'm paying for a warranty!

Last edited:
Man of Honour
The biggest cost is labour not parts - even if something huge goes wrong and requires £1000 of parts you'd pay only £100.

Caporegime
OP
[TW]Fox;10834178 said:
The biggest cost is labour not parts - even if something huge goes wrong and requires £1000 of parts you'd pay only £100.

Yeah.

Still seems rich though them asking for 10%!

Another thing too. It doesn't cover luxury electrics like Parking Sensors either.:(

Caporegime
OP
[TW]Fox;10835010 said:
Why not? That sounds very odd. I suggest the person you spoke to doesn't actually know what the swirl flap thing is.

They said that on a car with 61,000 and the age "The Extra Care Policy" was the highest cover they could offer.And that Swirl Flaps on the manifold are not covered.

I have emailed them for confirmation...

Caporegime
OP
Just had an email:

I have had a word with our claims department who tell me that the swirl flaps are covered if they are part of the throttle body assembly. The intake manifold is covered.

Regards,

:confused:

Man of Honour
I dont have the technical knowledge to tell you whether that means you are ok or not. Ask in the 3 Series forum on BMWLand :)

Caporegime
OP
[TW]Fox;10835416 said:
I dont have the technical knowledge to tell you whether that means you are ok or not. Ask in the 3 Series forum on BMWLand :)

Ok no problem.

Thanks for the input anyhow.

I'll do some more research to see whats what.:)

Back
Top Bottom