What's your car's annoying foibles?

Associate
Octavia vRS.

When raining the water runs right down the back and tips into the boot when you open it, good design!!!! So you end up holding it halfway up for like 5-10 seconds in the rain... and even then some gets in. There's a mod to fix it apparently though so might have to get that done.

There are a couple of rattles now (2001) but I put that fully down to me installing my own sub+amp :D

That's it really, good solid car!

This is the most annoying thing with mine too (Oct vRS). The fix - putting silicone rubber crap along the bottom edge of the rear window - apparently works, but i'm too scared to apply 'stuff' to the car incase I mess it up somehow!

Only other annoying thing is the offside passenger door often doesn't unlock with the rest of the doors. Often am pressing unlock on the remote several times! Garage can't replicate it so don't appear to be allowed to 'investigate' the problem, for example with a multimeter or eyes.

Associate
I have a new shape Fiesta and its almost impossible to engage reverse without a crunch. Only way is after gym when im feeling particularly strong and pull hard towards me. :confused:

Is this anything to do with the lack of synchromesh on reverse gear?
My instructor told me something like this, but he didn't always appear to know what he was on about so I'm not sure

Man of Honour
1999 2.0 mondeo: -

dim/poor headlights.
indicator stalk too stiff.
gotta press unlock button twice to do unlock the other doors, 1 press just does drivers door.
rear wiper is not intermittent and sqweaks like mad.
easily does 35 mpg, was hoping for less.
traction control cuts in too soon.
passenger door speaker sounds crap.

Soldato
Prelude:

- Ride is a bit harsh, but I guess thats due to low profile tyres
- Annoying squeak from front passenger suspension which seems to come and go as often as the weather changes...

Associate
i have a fiat punto 51 plate:
Doesnt have a light in the boot
When i turn the ac on it makes a squeaky noise inside on passenger side (prob needs some wd40 would do it but dont know how to get to it)
Not comfortable when drivin for over 3hours creates bad back ache
loud road noise at speeds of over 60
speakers are crap but gettin them replaced this year
doesnt grip to well in the wet
last one is doesnt have an electric immobliser soo annoying at nite!

apart from that its fantastic :p

Soldato
The driver's side windscreen wiper 'clicks' as it gets to the top of the window and comes back down. Only happens when very wet or dry, when it is mildy moist, it is fine. Also it doesnt wipe the window properly when it is raining and i am going above 60mph.

Other than that, cant complain about a car that has done 26800 miles and is 8 years old :D

I haz 4090!
Don
Since I had my fuel pump upgraded, the fuel guage drops to zero when I hit about 1/4 tank. Queue me driving around for the next day or two wetting myself wondering if I'm going to run out of petrol.

The other one is that due to the shape of the car, if I have the window down when it's raining, or if I use the washer jets, drips of water fall into the car onto the armrest.

Both of these are annoying to the point of screaming. I can't decide which I hate the most.

Soldato
I have a new shape Fiesta and its almost impossible to engage reverse without a crunch. Only way is after gym when im feeling particularly strong and pull hard towards me. :confused:
You've had to have depressed the clutch for 3 seconds beforehand for there to be no crunch, annoying that there's a wait for me.

Also on my MK5 fiesta; the handbrake is weak, the wipers make this vibrating squeak type noise in high winds or at tres high speeds which is my main bug with the car.

Soldato
thats very annoying that, also does it when you've washed the windows

fiesta mk4's are the worst for doing that though

Indeed, there was a mod to get around it by fitting a slightly larger wiper on one side or something along those lines but it only ever annoys me when its been raining or I've washed the windows.. I never think about it when I'm stationary!

Last edited:
Soldato
first thing on cold mornings, it can be a bit odd. you pull away from a standstill with almost no throttle input, the revs slowly climb, and then it goes berserk and starts pulling you down the road.

i need uprated ARBs.

thats about it

If this is the valver it's the lambda / potentiometer.

The heated seats is a safety issue I think.

On mine i'd like my auto lights to come on a bit sooner, i'm lazy but it's irritating.

Odd squeaks annoy me too plus the noisy relays.

Axle tramping in 1st

Soldato
3 door civic here:

passengers and drivers seat default back to the most forward and most bolt upright position possible after letting someone in the back

fortunatly its rare i have anyone in the back and i now ask the mrs let everyone in from her side so as not to ruin my driving position...

Back
Top Bottom