Anybody been struck down with the infamous Norovirus??

Soldato
Well I for one would love to have it, means no more guard duty for at least a week! Can someone sneeze or a mars bar and send it me? Or whatever works best, I am not virologist!

C64

C64

Soldato
I think i had it a while ago and i think it is overhyped i had no idea about this bug and was none the wiser but nothing toworry about.

Soldato
have there been cases of this virus where vomiting wasn't involved?

i got really *really* ill in november, but it was only bum-gravy++ with my stomach producing ludicrous amounts of trapped gas. unbearable pain it was :(

no vomiting though...

Associate
I had it back in november. I'd just moved to nottingham, and started work at our company hq on the monday. Monday pm i started feeling ill and then monday night i spent re-decorating the bathroom walls, floor, and toilet. it got so bad that my heart was racing to the point where I thought I was having a heart attack! call 999 got the paramedics out and got checked over. thankfully no heart attack, but i did find out that my heart murmer had finally gone :)

2 days later my two youngest, 1 & 2 years old, picked it up. they were both so sick we took them into A&E but having only just moved into the area we didn't know where the hospital was and spent 1 1/2 hours fighting through rush hour traffic while the two little ones were in the back of the car being sick and pooing all the time :(

Soldato
OP
What if you need to make chunks and gravy at the same time? Sit on the toilet with a bin? Aim the chunks at the bath/sink? By the way, i haven't had it.

My sink is located directly infront of the toilet so one can simply bend forward to deposit the 'ejection of mysterious carrots' but at the same time must be warned: said leaning forward coupled with a particularly determined bottom-pop would lead to what I describe as a Ranulph-Fiennes-Splat: A poo that is utterly determined to climb up further than the bowl, to the seat and potentially beyond, to the peak of the cistern

Caporegime
My sink is located directly infront of the toilet so one can simply bend forward to deposit the 'ejection of mysterious carrots' but at the same time must be warned: said leaning forward coupled with a particularly determined bottom-pop would lead to what I describe as a Ranulph-Fiennes-Splat: A poo that is utterly determined to climb up further than the bowl, to the seat and potentially beyond, to the peak of the cistern

you wouldn't happen to be living in my uni accommodation by any chance?

Soldato
how can you say you had noro on new years day after a binge drinking session, because thats likely to make you ill anyway?

Permabanned
Oh yes and what a horry story it was.

I had it full blown on my wedding day and by the end of the following day 75% of the people we invited to the hotel with us had it.

On the day of the wedding I woke up at around 6am feeling ropey, I just thought it was wedding day nerves. At 8am I get up and went to the loo, next thing was a bout of uncontrolable sickness and diarrhoea, one in the loo and the other aimed in the bath.

Anyway I still felt rough but again just put it down to nerves, at 11am me the best man and a friend went to get our hair cut and yes you guessed it, the need to empty my insides swathed over me. I was actually in the chair at the time having my hair cut, I run to the loo and luckily there was also a sink as again it was a dual exfiltration of the internal plumbing.

Im not sure if it was the case but my perception of that toilet was like the scence out of Trainspotting, this was probably fueled by being in Scotland at the time.

Now 1pm is approaching, the wedding is looming and everyone is wondering what is wrong with me, the future mother in law blames it on drink, others just thought I was having second thoughts and I put it down to a Red Snapper eaten the previous evening.

1pm, after consuming copius amounts of cold water and deciding that it was better for me to soldier on than to pull out of the wedding for fear of severe injury casued by blunt trauma the ceremony began. I now adopted the SAS approach to get through the wdding for fear of soiling myself, I pick a spot on the wall and focus, the stomach is churning, it is hot and I am getting hotter. The ceremony is a blur by this point, I do remember the "I Do" and the signing of the registers.

We go outside for photographs and it is now that I explain to my new wife what the hell is going on and why I look so ill.

We then shoot off sharpish to the hotel as another bout of bowel and stomach movements are fast approaching.

At this point my wife decides to call the Doctor, he arrives and proceeds to give me an injection to help. I said to the Doctor something like "Do you realise that you are the first person to see my bum since I have been married" I thought this may lighten mood, sadly not, the Doctor was less than jovial to say the least.

To make matters worse it transpires that the hotel in question was aware of a breakout of the Norovirus but tried to litterally sweep it under the carpet.

My wife cut the cake with her neice, the meal went ahead without me, I was replaced by a lovely golden balloon tied to what would have been my chair at the main table.

Over the next 24 -48 hours roughly 25 of our 30 guest got a dose of the Norovirus, we felt awful for inviting them, they felt awful for us as our day was ruined.

We look back now and laugh, it was an expierience to say the least!

Last edited:
Soldato
I had it full blown on my wedding day and by the end of the following day 75% of the people we invited to the hotel with us had it.

omg, learn to wash your hands ffs

this virus is spread via the anus to mouth route, it makes you have diarrhea, you don't wash your hands and its transferred to someone elses hands or food.

people are getting higher GCSE and A-Level results but don't understand basic hygine..hmmm

Last edited:
Soldato
I had it a few weeks before christmas, only the vomit part though luckily!

Woke up middle of night and started throwing up, that was about 3am, tink I managed to stop at 6pm the next day. Boy did it hurt, stomach trying to throw something up but even the bile was gone by now, was just sat in the lounge watching TV, making retching sounds but knew I was not gonna throw up so no need to move!

More painful than when I broke my heel!

Permabanned
omg, learn to wash your hands ffs

this virus is spread via the anus to mouth route, it makes you have diarrhea, you don't wash your hands and its transferred to someone elses hands or food.

people are getting higher GCSE and A-Level results but don't understand basic hygine..hmmm

Thank for your insight into the intellectual ability of my wedding party.

Soldato
Can I just point out that the figures this year were ESTIMATED to be higher than last year, this doesn't necessarily mean they are. And that this bug goes around every single winter. A few hundred thousand people more got ill with the bug and all of a sudden the country is almost in a panic. Over hyped, as usual, it's what the English are best at I think.

Back
Top Bottom