• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Is the Radeon 9800 Pro past its use by date now?

Associate
A few years ago i forked out 300 odd quid for this card and was determined to get my moneys worth out of it, but its not that good these days. So do i need to upgrade it? I have a pci-express slot so looking for somthing around the 40 quid mark. I take it a card these days at £40 will be better than what i have now?

HeX

HeX

Soldato
Yes, I recently updated the Mrs's 9800Pro as it was starting to struggle in stuff, managed to snag her a X800XL for £30 which was a nice little boost.

Though for around £40-45 you can probably find a 7800GT or similar, which would be a considerable boost over your card.

Try and make sure whatever you has has PS3.0 as a lot of the new games like Bioshock and the like will only run wiht PS3.0 cards. :)

J.D

J.D

Soldato
ordered the above card i mentioned. Lets hope its a goodun!

Thank god you didn't go for the suggested X800. That would have been your worse move as that card is only a powerhouse compared to the 9800Pro as it has the same tech.

I just whacked a 7600GT in a machine for someone and it's playing most titles surprisingly well so the 8600 should be just that little bit better than the 7600 which is a lot better than the 9800 you're replacing :). Getting the X800 is like getting a 3 wheeled car with a faster engine in it :D. SM3/SM4 for the win :p.

Last edited:
Associate
after re reading your op i realise you have pci-e.
although how your upgrading from a 9800 pro which i believe is an agp card
to a pci-e card is a mystery, unless your changing the mb too.
to recap, ignore my other post :rolleyes:

edit thanks soul

Klo

Klo

Soldato
Its seems to be the time when all the 9800pro are starting to fail :(. Mine, is starting to artifact when starting a game, so this is useful for me to.

Back
Top Bottom