Wheels corroding again - couple of choices as to where to go from here

Man of Honour
I tend to drive into parking spaces. Reversing is to be avoided - especially when parallel parking as you have to look at the road behind you and concentrate on the parking. There is actually a remarkably high degree of skill required to park within a decent distance of the kerb but not have to make several small manoeuvres to get there.

Driving into a space at the side of the road, if there are other cars there, is virtually impossible as you dont get the precise movement ability you get when reversing in.

Soldato
[TW]Fox;11020973 said:
Driving into a space at the side of the road, if there are other cars there, is virtually impossible as you dont get the precise movement ability you get when reversing in.

i do ok... bump it up the kerb, miss the old granny and then drop the front wheel back down about 6mm from the car in fronts bumper. then back it up a bit so i dont get blocked in.

some good points to having a complete shed. :p

Soldato
[TW]Fox;11020973 said:

Most people seem to think they they have more control going backwards, with their heads twisted around, looking through a small window 4-6 feet away or into an angled wing-mirror, than they do going fowards. Odd.

And, as the steering doesn't get any more precise or gain any extra angle when in reverse, the only benefit you get it the lower gear ratio, and even then proper clutch control will achieve the same effect.

If you actually think about it, you'll start doing it. It's a skill, like other parts of driving.

Soldato
And, as the steering doesn't get any more precise or gain any extra angle when in reverse, the only benefit you get it the lower gear ratio, and even then proper clutch control will achieve the same effect.

If you actually think about it, you'll start doing it. It's a skill, like other parts of driving.

I must say I have absolutely no idea what you're on about.

A tight parallel parking space cannot physically be driving into forwards without mounting the curb.

And if you live in Bristol centre, you won't know what any other type of parallel parking space is.

EDIT: Maybe you're thinking of bay parking? Like in supermarkets?

Don
OP
Re the seller, he certainly shifts a lot of wheels with generally good feedback, he doesn't sell the polished 19s as new but does with the CSL ones , here is a link so folks can have a look and see what they think

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BRAND-NEW-GEN...oryZ9888QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

as Fox said these wheels are known for having big problems re corrosion, the M3 forums are full of posts about it, what tends to happen is that the lacquer gets stone chipped and then water gets behind it and corrodes the metal

as for care and cleaning , I use diluted Virosol ( about 5 to 1 dilution ) and never use a jet wash on them

OcUK Staff
Hi there

Rotty, it has to be CSL wheels m8!

If the deal for £1600 includes brand new CSL wheels with some kind of warranty then do it.

A set of four PS2's will cost you close to 1k, so as long as the wheels are good or have some kind of warranty the deal sounds good.

I might be biased but CSL wheels look so much better than the M3 regular ones, plus your handling should improve or at least grip anyway as you will have a much larger contact footprint with the road. 235 front and 265 rear, plus the CSL wheels might weigh less too and which will definetely see a performance and handling improvement.

If you go CSL wheels, you should maybe look at the CSL's plastic boot so you get the nice bootlid and more weight saving. :D

Soldato
The CSL bootlids cardboard isn't it? ;)

I'd be very tempted by the CSL wheels if I hadn't just had two replaced (long story) but perhaps I'll be able to trade two new wheels and two corroded ones for some new CSL ones. They look fantastic I think.

I had been thinking of changing car, but it's in the garage having a new engine this week on warranty, so I think I've changed my mind and will keep it a while longer. Maybe time to speak to Simpsons about SC again as well. :cool:

Soldato
I must say I have absolutely no idea what you're on about.

A tight parallel parking space cannot physically be driving into forwards without mounting the curb.

And if you live in Bristol centre, you won't know what any other type of parallel parking space is.

EDIT: Maybe you're thinking of bay parking? Like in supermarkets?

Nope. Nothing about a car changes when it goes backwards. It's just going backwards rather than forwards. The length of the space is the same, the car is the same, everything is the same. The only difference is the speed you feel confident manoeuvering the car at.

There is nothing special about Bristol. I've lived in Paris, Frankfurt and Little Rock, Arkansas. Parallel parking is parallel parking.

Soldato
no the realnerd is right , its impossible to get into some gaps forwards without mounting the curb. you cant turn the back wheels to swing the back end in

the same gap would be possible reversing into it

its hard to explain through type

Man of Honour
Nope. Nothing about a car changes when it goes backwards. It's just going backwards rather than forwards. The length of the space is the same, the car is the same, everything is the same. The only difference is the speed you feel confident manoeuvering the car at

And the small fact that you can position the car more accurately when its steering from the back (ie, in reverse) instead of from the front :confused:

The rear of the car follows the front when you drive in forward and you can't turn the rear. In reverse, you can push the back where you want and then simply line the front up by steering.

Soldato
Re the seller, he certainly shifts a lot of wheels with generally good feedback, he doesn't sell the polished 19s as new but does with the CSL ones , here is a link so folks can have a look and see what they think

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BRAND-NEW-GEN...oryZ9888QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

as Fox said these wheels are known for having big problems re corrosion, the M3 forums are full of posts about it, what tends to happen is that the lacquer gets stone chipped and then water gets behind it and corrodes the metal

as for care and cleaning , I use diluted Virosol ( about 5 to 1 dilution ) and never use a jet wash on them
Feedback means FA IMO.

people leave feedback when they recieve them, not 6 months down the line when they have problems.

Soldato
Nope. Nothing about a car changes when it goes backwards. It's just going backwards rather than forwards. The length of the space is the same, the car is the same, everything is the same. The only difference is the speed you feel confident manoeuvering the car at.

Well this is quite OT, but thats never stopped me before :p

Could you explain how the back wheels will get to the curb? A car is not symmetrical.

Man of Honour
I think the CSL wheels look lovely, better than the 19's myself and if you can get a set for sensible money then it would be worth consideration. Elliot can give you all the advice you need on where to get them or anything CSL, stick a post on MTorque would be my advice, you'll get plenty of advice.

BMW have had issues with the 19" wheels on the M3 and corrosion, and its not always down to the way they are cleaned or looked after. My father had 3 replaced for new, and I had 2 replaced for new after they corroded. BMW's finish was not great on some of their batches and the finish was getting contaminated in a way it should not.

Don
OP
BMW have had issues with the 19" wheels on the M3 and corrosion, and its not always down to the way they are cleaned or looked after. My father had 3 replaced for new, and I had 2 replaced for new after they corroded. BMW's finish was not great on some of their batches and the finish was getting contaminated in a way it should not.

yes, they are really an inherently bad design that were never going to cope with British roads/weather, the new M3 has some very similar looking wheels though not sure if the finish is different

Man of Honour
They might have got the wheels right, but they seem to have built world class orange peel into the paint on the E92 from what I have read and seen.

Back
Top Bottom