• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

***The AGP & PCI-E Graphics Card Buyers Guide***

Associate
***The AGP & PCI-E Graphics Card Buyers Guide***

***Bargain Alert!!***

8800 GT - based on the new G92 core, it is cheaper than the GTS (G80) but faster, almost as fast as the GTX. Buy one and flog your older card to the masses ;)

Can anyone provide a link to these?

Associate
evga 8800gt 512mb x2 sli

HI,
my first post guys,
ok i have these graphics cards on a j+w ip35 pro mobo with 4gb sli ram and a q6600.
question is this:
I purchased the additional graphics card so I could use a sli bridge to get better performance, does it matter my mobo has no apparant support for sli?
thanks

Soldato
So ATI are still very much behind in the battle then? The GTX has been out for a long time now and they have finally come up with something that equals it?

Man of Honour
could someone slot the X800 XT PE into the above list?

For AGP or PCI-E? From what I remember it is more or less the same on AGP as the X850XT (PE), the only difference is that the X850 series used a different process which enabled higher yields. For PCI-E then you are looking at performance roughly equivalent to a 7600GT but with higher power usage and no DX9 compliance.

Soldato
For AGP or PCI-E? From what I remember it is more or less the same on AGP as the X850XT (PE), the only difference is that the X850 series used a different process which enabled higher yields. For PCI-E then you are looking at performance roughly equivalent to a 7600GT but with higher power usage and no DX9 compliance.
I'm looking at getting the AGP version, so wondering how it was stacking up for not only speed but also power :)

Soldato
I know this is largely pointless now, but for those on a tiny budget:

Radeon 9500 < Radeon 9600 < Geforce 4 Ti < Radeon 9500 Pro

The 9500 Pro has double the pixel rendering power of the 9600, I don't know why you put it below. Sure, in the odd game at lower res it may match it, but for the most part, 8 pipelines > 4. The Geforce 4 Ti series may only be Directx 8 compliant, but their 8 pixels per clock architecture puts them ahead of the Radeon 9600 apart from when AA\AF are enabled.

You also got the wattage figures wrong - the 9500 requires a floppy power connector so its a lot more than just 17W, that includes the non-pro version.

Of course as you may know the Radeon 9500 non-pro has a high chance of softmodding to a 9700 if it has an L-shaped memory configuration, ie the 128MB version. Worth picking up if you see one, as when modded it vastly outperforms all of the above and matches the Radeon 9700.

:)

Associate
Very useful, thanks for all the effort.

For the next update, clarification of HD TV capabilities might be useful, specifically which are HDCP compliant (i.e. they'll play Blu-Ray DVDs), which can connect directly from a DVI to a HDMI socket, and which will really support 1080p/50 Hz playback. Many modern cards doubtless do all three, but, for example, unless it actually says "HDCP compliant", which it almost never does, on etailer sites it's hard to be sure.

Back
Top Bottom