Can anyone recommend a PSU?

Associate
Can anyone recommend a PSU for gaming.
It's going to be used in this set-up:

BFG GeForce 8800 GTS
Crucial Ballistix 2GB (2x1GB) DDR2
Intel Core 2 Quad Pro Q6600 "Energy Efficient SLACR 95W Edition" 2.40GHz
Western Digital Caviar SE16 500GB SATA-II 16MB Cache

Mobo hasn't been decided yet, and I'm also going to stick in Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro. It needs to be 600w minimum and be able to fit in a standard sized case.

Price-wise it needs to be £60ish.

Also I didn't see a PSU section so I put this thread in here, sorry if it's the wrong place.

Any help much appreciated :)

Last edited:
Permabanned
i cant fathom all the corsair lovers, loads of there psu's went bang and every cable that has to be plugged in takes 10 mins of fiddling cos of there crap cables that are wide and cant be bent to be hidden. i had one for a year the only good thing was silence and my solverstone is quieter tbh

Soldato
when did loads go bang? Ive heard more tagans, antecs, hipers etc go bang then corsair. They are by far the best in the price range.

Get the 520w corsair, or if you on a tight budget the 450w. The 450w will not come with modular cables though which means they are always attached to the psu and you cant take them out.

Soldato
Only 26 amps isn't a lot considering the corsair has 54a (18 on 3 rails) i beleive? May as well get the best you can for your money. As far as im conserned however seasonic are the best i thinks anyway.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Corsair 520W HX Series Modular PSU ATX EPS12V whisper quiet 5 year warranty

£58 Inc VAT

You aint gonna find a better PSU for the money imho.

Associate
for 60 bones get the ocz tbh
They have a reputation for being very hit and miss, some are perfect, some sound like a fighterjet.
i cant fathom all the corsair lovers, loads of there psu's went bang and every cable that has to be plugged in takes 10 mins of fiddling cos of there crap cables that are wide and cant be bent to be hidden. i had one for a year the only good thing was silence and my solverstone is quieter tbh
We've suggested them to so many people on the forums that there was bound to be a few go wrong. I agree with you ( to an extent) on the cables though, not the best braiding in the world, but everything else reeks of quality.

Associate
Ideally i would love to see tagan modular quality cables on the corsairs but hey you cant have everything. i agree with davidb some will go wrong but most are solid as a rock and super quiet but that should be expected really as there made by seasonic.

Soldato
I can't remember the last time anyone needed, or was recommended anything other than a Corsair HX. By all accounts they're pretty much the obvious choice for most people.:)

Back
Top Bottom