I need another rant.. work related this time.. Big Read..

Soldato
Okay, Situation.. basically I am the overtime junky at work, I work 3/4 shifts a week and have 2/3 days of afterwards, Normally, if i'm not on nights, I work those days off for them, because they're short staffed and I might as well be paid for being bored there, than not and be at home.. playing games/surfing the internet, seeing as that is what I pretty much do there anyway... so on average i'm doing 6 or even 7 days a week for them which is almost a 60 hour week...

So tonight as a favour to my Dad, and to earn me some extra money, I did the Valentines day at the Curry house he works for on weekends doing deliveries.. so he could spend time at home with my Mum.. and the law of the sod dictates when I call to get 2 new tyres on the front on my car tomorrow, one rear one gets a screw stuck in it, and of course, this happened.

So my first instinct is to get someone out to check the tyre to see if it can be saved, so the guy comes out in a spec wagon, takes a look and says the tyre is dead (Which is just more salt in the wound.. but i'll go into that momentairily) and that really is the last nail in the coffin, and yes, before you ask, no there was no spare, its a Mini, they dont carry one unless you spec it at the factory.. so I ask for the guy to recover me because I didnt wanna take the risk of the nail dropping out and leaving me stranded..

Anyway, whilst I was waiting for the guy to arrive I think, Okay best ring work to tell them what has happened, seeing as there may be a chance that I may not be able to get in tomorrow, as my parents both have commitments, there was a chance of me getting in late morning if the tyres were delivered in the morning, so just shove the old ones on the rear and the new dunlops on the front.. I explained the situation to one of the supervisors who then informed the control room manager... who then rang back to the supervisor, who then rang me...

And the basic points were these...
  1. The fact that my tyre had burst wasn't my companies problem (OK, valid point, but thats where this rant is coming from, I was asking for some Lee-Way seeing as I do so much for them.)
  2. That I wouldn't be excused as it isn't a valid excuse (Again, Valid point, but with the options I had, I offered them the best solution for me getting in, and as cover wasnt available because the place is so damn stupidly under-staffed) and they were still playing the whole "Not our Responsibility you're contracted" blah blah..
The only solutions I had left was asking for a shift swap, and the only viable swap was an 8pm till 4am Shift.. not so bad you think? wrong sadly.. it gives me the day to sort the car.. but i'd be on shift yet again 3 hours after finishing that one.. I honestly thought why am I bothering with this place? WHY?

But luckily my dad has offered to take me in at 6 so he's back for work and mum will pick me up, and i'll have to run the risk of driving to the tyre place with the nail in tomorrow afternoon and asking them to front ones on the back (They still have 2/3mm on them) and get the new ones on the front...

Thanks for reading :(

Last edited:
Soldato
If I was you I'd phone in ill probably or just phone up and say I can't make it in due to car problems. You tried giving them prior warning and they didn't care, so might have been better telling them when you were due in so it is their problem. If it was me I'd probably go and speak to my manager/supervisor and say that I won't be doing any more overtime in the immediate future as I don't feel the effort I've spent working extra has been recognized due to the way I've been treated recently.

In addition to that probably say that you don't feel you are getting anything in return when you have been trying to help the company out, so have things you would rather spend your spare time doing as you get something back from it.

Although really I'd just be trying to make things difficult for whoever it was that annoyed me :p

Soldato
OP
If I was you I'd phone in ill probably or just phone up and say I can't make it in due to car problems. You tried giving them prior warning and they didn't care, so might have been better telling them when you were due in so it is their problem. If it was me I'd probably go and speak to my manager/supervisor and say that I won't be doing any more overtime in the immediate future as I don't feel the effort I've spent working extra has been recognized due to the way I've been treated recently.

In addition to that probably say that you don't feel you are getting anything in return when you have been trying to help the company out, so have things you would rather spend your spare time doing as you get something back from it.

Although really I'd just be trying to make things difficult for whoever it was that annoyed me :p

Mum said the exact same thing, just stop doing the over-time because to be honest without the ammount I do, the shifts would be desperatley short..

Soldato
You stop working the extra shifts and use the time to get a new job/CV/College/Uni. Next go into work and don't say a word about it to anyone, just take it on the chin.

When any of the four above come along, buy a jar of relish and hand that in with your notice :).

Permabanned
the only viable swap was an 8pm till 4am Shift.. not so bad you think? wrong sadly.. it gives me the day to sort the car.. but i'd be on shift yet again 3 hours after finishing that one..

isnt it illegal to do more than 12 hours without sleep? I know they are seperate shifts but still.

Soldato
My boss is the same. A couple of weeks back we had really bad weather over here (-40C, tonnes of snow) which played hell with the bus route. I don't have a car here and I have to get 3 different buses in order to get to work. The journey by car would be 20minutes, by bus on a normal day is 1 hour, by bus when it's -40C and lots of snow = 3 hours!!!!

There was literally nothing I could do, I was getting the earliest buses so I couldn't just leave 2 hours early. He just said that it wasn't his problem and I had to be at work on time. I was happy to work extra hours meaning that I wouldn't be home till about 2130 due to the same bus problems but he just didn't care. In the end I had to take 6 days sick leave until the weather calmed down and the buses were back to normal. Strangely enough he was fine with this...

I couldn't figure it out myself, we're a small office (4 people) and when one person is away it's a nightmare for everyone else. Still, it was the only way to keep him from firing me due to being late.

Soldato
That's rediculous. I agree with your mum that you should stop the overtime, they obviously don't appreciate that you've been helping out at all, so why should you? It's not right to expect special treatment all the time, but they should at least give a certain amount of leeway when you have transport problems if you're obviously not taking the mickey.

Soldato
OP
wouldnt it of been find to drive with a nail in? as long as you dont plull it out and its well stuck? wouldnt it be fine? :S

No it was bent, and the recovery wagon came with a spec lift.. the tyre is now flat this morning :rolleyes: living 15 Miles away from work doesnt help either...

Last edited:
Associate
As others have said in firms like yours they tend to depend on you doing overtime. So cut it back and study the holiday book / chart or whatever they use and find the next period with a lot of people of. Then tell your boss that you cant do overtie then due to personal commitments. Let them suffer :).

Also the time would be better used as already advised above to study / job hunt

Soldato
Im sorry, but I agree with your manager, those points are valid and you cant just swap and change your shifts, you arent on flexi time are you? :(

Soldato
OP
Im sorry, but I agree with your manager, those points are valid and you cant just swap and change your shifts, you arent on flexi time are you? :(

Nope, Fixed shift work.. we do 7am-3pm (Early) 3pm-11pm (Late) and 11pm-7am(Nights), Goes on a 3 on 2 off and 4 on 2 off basis (3 after Nights)

Soldato
my work does the exact same thing as yours, they look at you all pie eyed and needy when they want you to sign the overtime book but as soon as you've done that they have you in their clutches, never a thankyou, never a bit of leeway, ever any respect. i don't work overtime at sainsburys anymore, purely because of the simple fact they just don't appreciate anything you do for them (of course anything they do for you is supposed to be manna from heaven :rolleyes: ). let the ******* stew when it comes to the tight periods, when lots of other staff members are on holiday, or when somene calls in sick and they ring you to ask if you can come in, just say no.

Back
Top Bottom