• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Need a card, have requirements, apply within.

Associate
It's been four years since I last did a build from scratch, and whilst I've upgraded most stuff at some point, I'm at the stage where I really need to do a totally new build to catch up with all the latest tech. However, I saw a really pretty guitar last week and couldn't help myself from buying it, so my new build is at least 6 months away.

But I need better graphics performance now for Aero on Vista.

Currently I have a 9700 Pro running on a 939Dual-VSTA. The last time I played with Windows Vista, I was getting issues with it, possibly due to the AGP slot, or rather the driver for it. So now I'm looking for a PCI-E card. Now I could just buy something decent and keep it until I do a new build, but my PSU is old and doesn't have PCI-E connectors. I know you can get connectors for molex - PCI-E, but my PSU probably wouldn't be up to the strain of a high powered card anyway.

So what I need is a PCI-E card that powers itself from the slot only. If it's silent cooled and has more grunt than my 9700 (which it should) then that's a bonus. I'm not much of a PC gamer any more - the last PC game I played was C&C Tiberian Sun. No, not Tiberium Wars, but the second one.

Assuming there's more than one card that meets the bill, which is the fastest out there? Nvidia 8500 GT maybe? ATI Radeon HD 2600? I need suggestions!

Man of Honour
I believe some of the 8600 series (prolly GT not GTS) don't need extra power - which would be much better than the 8500GT and most (but not sure about all) of the ATI alternatives...

Back
Top Bottom