Best Electric Shaver?

Soldato
Last edited by a moderator:
Man of Honour
Don't bother with an electric shaver.

Go for a double edged safety razor. Like a Merkur, a good brush and cream and it will be the best shave you could ask for.

http://www.gentlemans-shop.com

While I don't disagree with you completely, it takes me 60 seconds or less to shave in the morning with an electric shaver, how long does it take you? (serious question).

The one you mentioned is pretty good in my experience, I wouldn't bother with the self cleaning base, get the cheaper version without and run it under the tap when you're done. Works for me. Just be prepared for the cost of new blades every 6 to 9 months (about £45).

Associate
Does anyone have experience of this shaver?

http://www.consumer.philips.com/con..._RQ1095_22_GB_CONSUMER/electric-shaver+RQ1095

Philips Philishave RQ1095 Arcitec Shaver
http://www.shavercentre.com/canada/images/philips-rq1095-arcitec.jpg

It seems to be their top spec shaver but it doesn't have the inbuilt moisturiser that their other range has which is a bit odd. Is the moisturiser feature any good?[/QUOTE]

Got that myself (not the self cleaning version). Personally I think it's rubbish and I've always used Philishave.

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
Don't bother with an electric shaver.

Go for a double edged safety razor. Like a Merkur, a good brush and cream and it will be the best shave you could ask for.

http://www.gentlemans-shop.com
Have to agree. I followed this exact advice when Scuzi posted it and treated myself to a rather pricey Merkur 34 and it's the best shave I have ever had in my life coming from tosh Mach 3s and the like.

Super smooth every time with no itchy, red rash or anything.

Caporegime
i have no interest in having a really really close shave due to skin issues when shaving really close.
so, recommendations for a quick win electric shaver would be perfect for me.

any more recommendations other than 'take your time with some real kit'..

Soldato
I use a phillips F1 (Wiliams) that is very good and comfortable. Not discounting the advice above I do beleive I am amongst the group of shavers who cannot get a good clean comfortable shave from an ordinary razor: also I am on Warfarin so it is important not to keep on cutting myself all the time. I find electrics more convenient though I cannot justify the price of any razor above £100.00

Soldato
If you get yourself an Electric shaver, I would just get any old cheapy... anything more would just be a waste.
It never comes as close a shave as a wet shaver, and if in fact you dont want to shave all that close and have some "designer" stubble, again any old cheapy will suffice.

Permabanned
I have that Philips, it's rubbish if I try to shave my beard- my older 2 head £30 Philips shaved the long hairs easier. But if I shave everyday then it's fine. Not as close as a wet shave/razor though.

Soldato
I have that Philips, it's rubbish if I try to shave my beard- my older 2 head £30 Philips shaved the long hairs easier. But if I shave everyday then it's fine. Not as close as a wet shave/razor though.

I don't have a beard and I don't think the OP has either. Like you say for every day shaves it is fine. It is like what has already been asked though. How long do you want to spend on a wet shave- when on most occasions an electric will do it (for me) closer and faster? The Phillips is not rubbish and neither is the Braun or the Remington as I have them all apart from the Panasonic which is cheaper (American only) and comparable to the Pulsar high end £250.00 model.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I don't have a beard and I don't think the OP has either. Like you say for every day shaves it is fine. It is like what has already been asked though. How long do you want to spend on a wet shave- when on most occasions an electric will do it (for me) closer and faster? The Phillips is not rubbish and neither is the Braun or the Remington as I have them all apart from the Panasonic which is cheaper (American only) and comparable to the Pulsar high end £250.00 model.

Blimey, an expert! How does the Braun compare to the Phillips? I do have a beard/lot of stubble most of the time but I can trim that pretty quickly with a beard trimmer. I'm not too fussed about getting the shave very, very close as I prefer it slightly visible.

Man of Honour
I have several Brauns and several Phillips and for me the Phillips devices work better. A wet shave is always better if done right, but you need to run an electric shaver in. If you come from years of wet shaving and then go electric you will have poor results, but stick with it and it gets much better, a modern electric will get very close to good wet shave if your skin is prepared for it.

Different types of skin/hair will mean there is not a one fits all shaver.

Soldato
Blimey, an expert! How does the Braun compare to the Phillips? I do have a beard/lot of stubble most of the time but I can trim that pretty quickly with a beard trimmer. I'm not too fussed about getting the shave very, very close as I prefer it slightly visible.
The quest for the perfect razor. I acquired them over a number of years. The Phillips I referred to is the most comfortable. The Braun I liked not because it gives a comparable shave to the Phillips but because of the cleaning fluid. Smells absolutely gorgeous- pitty it isn't available as an aftershave. The Remington is just general.

Back
Top Bottom