New Build IP35-E Won't Post

Associate
Hi folks built a new machine yesterday, and although on boot everything powers up (all fans spin and both red and green lights come on) the board shuts down after about 4-5 seconds with no beeps and then does it again and again until I switch it off. I've tried swapping around the ram and swapping out the gfx card for an older one and no luck. All the power sockets on the board are plugged in by the way.

I've come down to two potential problems:

The IP-35E that's been shipped has a BIOS that won't work with the Wolfdale processor out of the box (an Intel Core 2 Duo E8200 LGA775 'Wolfdale' 2.66GHz - 1333FSB) - i.e. it requires a BIOS update (and no I don't have access to another Intel processor to see if that's the problem :rolleyes: ) or:

The memory won't work with the default 1.8v setting in the BIOS - I've bought 4GB of the OCZ PC2-8000C5 1000MHz ReaperX HPC Enhanced Bandwidth Edition Dual Channel DDR2 which apparently likes 1.9v

Any ideas folks? I'm so frustrated with this prob :(

Soldato
BIOS14 (end of November 2007) should basically support E8400 afaik but 16 should improve support.

have you tried with only 1 DIMM installed?
btw I believe that the rated voltage for that RAM is 2.2V.

Soldato
I had this problem on an Abit IP35-Pro I built for a friend a few weeks ago. Abit's CPU sockets have dished sides and it's really easy to bend the pins. Check no pins are bent, and just try reseating the CPU in the socket.

Associate
OP
Yeah I've done the swapping the memory around thing, but no luck.

Actually, just to update, when removing the board from the case today I actually managed to rip two of the SATA connectors *off* the board (they weren't glued on, just slid over the pins) and couldn't get them back on, so the IP35-E is now in the bin.

All the other parts are going back in their respective boxes until I get another mobo - I'm actually going to spend a decent amount of money on one this time instead of going for the cheapest option... I don't think I'd buy another ABit product to be honest.

Soldato
Definitely don't chuck your motherboard in the bin. This is the second IP35 I've heard of that has had this same issue. It sounds like a batch component failure to me. Send it back, and ask for a new one.

Soldato
it's the ROHS compliant solder causing problems for all manufacturers - I read the other week on a forum that a guy had the battery holder on his brand new Gigabyte come off.

Definitely RMA it.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the advice guys. I still have all the bits so I'll get in touch with the powers that be [genuflects in OCUK's general direction] and see if I can get a credit or something...

I'm an impatient sod so, as it was on special, I've already ordered an ASUS P5-E to replace the Abit board - I know it's a lot more dosh but I've always used ASUS boards in the past and have been very happy with them (in fact this new machine is replacing an ASUS-based PC) and it terms of quality it matches the other components I've bought (new Wolfdale processor and high-spec OCZ ReaperX memory)

Hopefully going to be doing the build on Weds evening so have my fingers crossed for a much more trouble-free job :)

Back
Top Bottom