Putting down a pet...

Associate
My dog is going to be put down in the next couple of days, he's 16, partially blind and his back legs dont work anymore. I know its for the best, dont want him being in pain.
But i hate how everyone has been telling me, "its for the best", "he's lived a long time", "its better that you do it before he cant walk anymore".
I still see him as my puppy and he's still so happy, wags his tail all the time :(
Anyone else had to put a pet down before? Did people give you the same stupid lines to try and cheer you up?

Soldato
First of all I know exactly how this feel, been in this situation. I mentally prepared myself for quite a while because I knew it was coming. All I can say is that he might not be around to see but you can still love him forever.

Soldato
If you can, I'd recommend that you get one last picture together, because its what I miss most about my dog, I had the memories and pictures of him throughout his life, but I wish I just had one of me and him together near the end. But maybe that's just me heh.

Good look though mate, it will be hard :(.

And yes, I got the same old lines, both before and after. Made me feel worse most of the time heh.

Soldato
No easy way of doing it. People probably mean well, but words alone just are not enough to tide you over this difficult time!

Permabanned
Just don't let them talk you into being present! Say your goodbyes beforehand.

I was present when my cat of 19 years was put to sleep, his kidneys packed in and there was nothingelse that could be done for him, and it was very hard indeed. I'm not afraid to admit that I shed a few tears, it was the look that Parker gave me as he slowly closed his eyes that did it.

Associate
It will hurt. You'll have days where it feels worse than others but you'll get through it. You'll still have the memories and the knowledge that you're doing the best for him.

Hugs xx

Soldato
My last dog was the same age when he was put to sleep and yes it was for the best.

I had the Vet come out to my house to do it so it would be less stressful on him,was devastated for sometime but you will get over it.

Man of Honour
Been there before, it hurts, really hurts but you will get through it. You must say goodbye, don’t stay to watch, can’t say much more than that.
My thoughts are with you, take care.

Soldato
I could never just walk out and leave my pet i`d have to be there until the very end.

On the morning even tho he couldnt understand me i had a little chat with him and told him what would be happening and then took him with me to the shop and got him a bag of his fav sweets.

He then sat in the garden with me watching me dig a big hole oblivious to the fact that it would be his grave,its been nearly 5 years since that day and thinking about it in detail has got me welling up.

Soldato
Went through the same thing around this time last year (see here)

Harder when the pets been with you for so many years, practically a member of the family :(

Don't know what to say, apart from if the vet says so then it really is for the best

Associate
We had to put my cat down after she got cancer :(

Had an operation when she was first diagnosed to remove the tumor, and she seemed fine and happy for several months, but the cancer then spread to her lungs. She was having trouble breathing, just lying there panting and gasping for breath. Vet said we could try radiotherapy to see if it would help, but thought that would just be cruel as she wouldn't know why we were putting her through it and we were warned it was unlikely to help. Had to put her down, couldn't just let her slowly suffocate :(.

We did stay with her when she was put down, was very peaceful .. looked like she was just falling asleep.

Wasn't exactly a great time, my parents had just divorced a few weeks before as well, so my mother was a bit of a train wreck emotionally =/

Soldato
I took my dog to the vet the other week, he picked him up, had a look and told me he had to put him down, I was distraught, had to ask why, he said "He's ******* heavy!".

Bit of levity always helps...

Associate
My thoughts are with you. It hurts so much.

I had to have my grumpy old man Merlin pts on new years day
Merlinbackground.jpg

I came down in the morning and found him unable to support his weight on his front arms at all. He had probably had a stroke :( He was a rescue who hadn't been able to be handled much and wouldn't go in with other rats, he was about 18 months when I got him and he lived for a year with me. He gave me a couple of good bites (including nerve damage to one of my fingers) but I still loved him to bits and he even accepted and moved in with two of my others so had rattie company too.

I still miss my little biter :(

Rainbow Bridge

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

You Have Chosen Tears

A long long time ago, the Loving Ones went to the Angel in Charge. They were lonesome and asked the angel to help them.

The angel took them to a wall of windows and let them look out the first window at all sorts of things-dolls and stuffed animals and cars and toys and sporting events.

"Here are things you can love," the angel said. "They will keep you from being lonesome."

"Oh, thank you," the Loving Ones said. "These are just what we need."

"You have chosen Pleasure," the angel told them.

But after a time the Loving Ones came back to the Angel in Charge. "Things are okay to love," they said, "but they don't care that we love them."

The Angel in Charge led them over to the second window. It looked out at all sorts of wild animals. "Here are animals to love," he said. "They will know you love them."

So the Loving Ones hurried out to care for the wild animals. "You have chosen Satisfaction," the angel said.

Some of the Loving Ones worked at zoos and wild animal preserves, some just had bird feeders in their yards, but after a time they all came back to the Angel in Charge.

"They know we love them," they told the angel, "but they don't love us back. We want to be loved in return."

So the angel took them to the third window and showed them lots of people walking around, hurrying places. "Here are people for you to love," the angel told them. So the Loving Ones hurried off to find other people to love. "You have chosen Commitment," the angel said.

But after a time a lot of Loving Ones came back to the Angel in Charge. "People were okay to love," they said, "but sometimes they stopped loving us and left. They broke our hearts."

The angel just shook his head. "I cannot help you." he said. "You will have to be satisfied with the choices I gave you."

As the Loving Ones were leaving, someone saw a window off to one side and hurried to look out. Through it, they could see puppies and kittens and dogs and cats and lizards and hamsters and ferrets. The other Loving Ones hurried over. "What about these?" they asked.

But the angel just tried to shoo them away. "Those are Personal Empathy Trainers," he said, "but there's a problem with their system operations."

"Would they know that we love them?" someone asked.

"Yes," the angel said.

"Would they love us back?" another asked.

"Yes." the angel said.

"Will they stop loving us?" someone else asked.

"No," the angel admitted. "They will love you forever."

"Then these are what we want." the Loving Ones said.

But the angel was very upset. "You don't understand," he told them. "You will have to feed these animals."

"That's all right," the Loving Ones said.

"You will have to clean up after them and take care of them forever."

"We don't care."

The Loving Ones did not listen. They went down to where the Pets were and picked them up, seeing the love in their own hearts reflected in the animals' eyes.

"They were not programmed right," the angel said. "We can't offer a warranty. We don't know how durable they are. Some of their systems malfunction very quickly, others last a long time."

But the Loving Ones did not care. They were holding the warm little bodies and finding their hearts so filled with love that they thought they would burst. "We will take our chances." they said.

"You do not understand." The angel tried one more time. "They are so dependent on you that even the most well-made of them is not designed to outlive you. You are destined to suffer their loss."

The Loving Ones looked at the sweetness in their arms and nodded. "That is how it should be. It is a fair trade for the love they offer."

The angel just watched them all go, shaking his head. "You have chosen Tears." he whispered.

Back
Top Bottom