Hyundai W241D-PVA

Associate
What's your set up? Especially your PSU. I had blue lines and pixels on my 240 and this was caused by a crap PSU (oh Deer). Now have a Corsair PSU and haven't had the lines since.

I put it down to the Deer not being able to power my graphics card.

Associate
Corsair HX 520 :p I would have expected to see the same thing with my old monitor if it was anything to do with the computer.

Not fussed any more. It's done it again today when I got home from work, I managed to get video's of it which I will forward on, so I am confident I can just get a refund thankfully. Hyundai tech support doesn't seem overly brilliant.

Going to get the Hazro I think :) That was the one I had my heart set on in the first place, but went with this as it was £100 cheaper, and I thought I would be fine with a VA panel. To be fair, I probably would be fine with a VA panel. It's just this one that's faulty. But meh, the Hazro isn't much more.

Happy days!

Associate
Corsair HX 520 :p I would have expected to see the same thing with my old monitor if it was anything to do with the computer.

Not fussed any more. It's done it again today when I got home from work, I managed to get video's of it which I will forward on, so I am confident I can just get a refund thankfully. Hyundai tech support doesn't seem overly brilliant.

Going to get the Hazro I think :) That was the one I had my heart set on in the first place, but went with this as it was £100 cheaper, and I thought I would be fine with a VA panel. To be fair, I probably would be fine with a VA panel. It's just this one that's faulty. But meh, the Hazro isn't much more.

Happy days!

Good luck.

Aren't computers FUN.

Soldato
I assume that definitely won't have any nasty inverse ghosting issues being an S-IPS (they don't have this overdrive "technology", right?)

I think you'd be hard pushed to find low to mid-range LCD produced in the last few years that doesn't use overdrive, it's the only way to get refresh rates as low as they are. The Hazro has a very very small amount of dark ghosting (have a look at the photos posted by myself and mrk) but it's not noticeable in normal usage, so sounds very different from what you're experiencing.

Associate
Oh. Well, it's very noticeable on http://www.prad.de/images/monitore/dell2407wfphc_spiele1.jpg that test. The blue box has a yellow trail, the red box has a blue trail, the black box has a gray trail and the white box has a black trail.

Strangely it's not doing it this morning. It looks perfect when I move that about. It's only been on 5 minutes though. I hear the monitor should warm up first...

What I would really like is just a non TN panel and doesn't look horribly choppy when playing video, and have funny flickering of brightness on high motion. It really hurts my eyes. I'm sure it's not normal! I don't actually need an S-IPS, but it's not that much more expensive...

I see the Dell 2408WFP is on offer here. I was also looking at that, but I read that the A00 revision has a few show stopping issues, so maybe not... Yes, I may be lucky and get a good one, but I am not going to go there with my luck :p

Last edited:
Associate
Thinking about buying the W240D-PVA tomorrow, have read through the whole thread and I'm still not sure.

Can any of the original buyers post their impressions of it now after long term use?

And does anybody have any other comments regarding this panel?

Thanks

Associate
I've had mine for 2 months now and am very happy with it. Is great for films, photo editing, don't know about games as I don't play much (Aliens vs Predator is the only game I own). I have no complaints apart form the black on black control buttons. They were annoying at first but I don't touch them now that it's calibrated. A little backlight bleed early on but that's now gone and this seems to happen with a lot of monitors.

I say give it a go, especially as there's a b grade one going at a good price:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=BG-018-HY

I'd find out why it's a b grade first though.

Associate
Thanks for that, I'll be using it for games and photo editing mainly.

I've heard about *** control buttons, but I'm not that bothered as, like you say, once it's set-up you don't need to touch them.

Have seen some in stock elsewhere that do a dead pixel check for a little extra, so I think I'll give them a go.

Associate
Just wanted to say I've had the W240D PVA monitor for 4-5 months now and wanted to "big it up" a little. Wow I love it, I spent 2 weeks selecting a monitor and I have no regrets over this at all, love it!

Excellent in everything I do from Photoshop and games to movies... stunning.

Capodecina
Soldato
I know that another thread appeared on this yesterday but this is a more 'comprehensive' one. I got one of these delivered yesterday and thought I'd go through some points about it. Maybe othe people who have had their for a while could share feelings!

Pros first:

- Size. This thing is big. Very big. Going from my previous 19" to 22" didn't feel too much of an upgrade size-wise. However, this monitor gave me the 'wow' factor that I was looking for. It's huge and playing games feels like being in an arcade. Anyone thinking of going for a 22" really should think about whether they can get a 24" - the difference is far more than you'd think.
- Picture quality - browsing and playing games was very sharp and clear. The text on Windows explorer seems ever so slightly fuzzy but this improved after removing font effects in Vista. Could also be improved more with messing with the calibration a bit.
- Fast response time and no ghosting that I could notice
- No backlight bleed at all. I was very surprised about this since I heard some had experienced it.. but there was none.
- Viewed from the front the monitor looks excellent - I really like the glossy black bezel, far more than I thought I would. You get a cloth too should you need to clean it. Ahh.
- No dead pixels... but then that was just mine. Others may not be so fortunate.

Now for the cons:

- In spite of the delicious glossy blackness at the front, the monitor is matte white at the back. Not really noticeable unless viewing the monitor from the side but seriously, would it have been so difficult to make the whole thing black? Still, it looks quite 80s in a cool[ish] way.
- The infamous control buttons. These are just embossed touch-sensitive buttons on the front of the monitor and it's almost impossible to see them in anything but daylight. You get used to them after a while but initially they're infuriating.
- Speakers. Oh yes, there are some speakers on it but they're next to pointless unless you want games and music sounding like they're coming from a music box. Just mute them. I couldn't imagine anyone buying this kind of monitor would actually use them long-term, they're more of a gesture.

Anyone been an owner for a while and want to share thoughts?

Last edited:
Associate
Hi,

I see this thread went dead about 6 months ago but I've been through the whole 12 pages now searching for an answer to the ghosting problem with the w240d pva. Has anyone managed to reduce the ghosting? I bought a PVA one of these a few days ago and the ghosting is horrific in games. Playing Dead Space is like being on acid, trails everywhere! Lol. It really is bad. I defo have a w240d-pva and there defo is bad bad bad ghosting. Are some of you with this monitor NOT getting the ghosting? I can't see how mine has it and other people's hasn't. Maybe I'm noticing it more having come from a 2ms TN panel?

Whatever the cause I'd be really chuffed if anyone can tell me how to minimise the ghosting. I accept I can't get it to go away, this being a PVA panel, but anything to stop it being so bad would be ace.

Thanks in advance!

Associate
I had inverse ghosting with the W240D-PVA, and within a week ended up sending it back. Some people claim to never notice any at all, however, which either implies there are several manufacturers of the panel with varying quality assurance standards, or that there's a difference in firmware which affects the RTC mode. There's also the possibility that some people simply aren't susceptible to the effect, which I find highly unlikely given how extreme it can get (particularly with sports broadcasts/games).

Otherwise, it was a really beautiful screen with a good range of inputs - just with some really fiddly controls. I now have the BenQ FP241W, which I'm very happy with, but I did have to bolster the budget a little to get it. The Hyundai is pretty well matched to the price, I'd say.

Edit: Do they even produce this monitor anymore?

Last edited:

Kua

Kua

Associate
Grabbed myself a B-grade one of these. Apart from it being a little dusty I don't see any difference between it and a brand new one.

I'd say there is definitely some ghosting but honestly I was looking for it. Flashing my mouse around as fast I could and in any case I don't seem to be gaming very much at the moment. It looks gorgeous and stylish. It dwarfs my old 19" and was a really worthwhile upgrade. Though I think I need to move it from its position in front of the window because its blocking the sun :D . Any bigger would have been silly and I do find my eyes bleeding. I'm getting a deeper desk though... And may look into one of those very cool wall mounted solutions (though perhaps that's not possible for this monitor).

Though I've yet to use it I think the HDMI port will come in very handy.

Only downside I can think of so far is those horrid touch sensitive buttons which are just as bad as everyone says. The worst thing being you can't even make out the buttons, I'm just guessing which is which half the time, even during the day. Are they supposed to have lights behind them - may be that's why it was returned. This is so off-putting that in the future I would actively seek out a monitor that doesn't have them.

Associate
Hi,i was looking for this monitor,although it's not sold in italy...i have some quesitons:is ghosting better than w240d?on prad they say that,qwith overdrive "switched off",it's hardly noticeable...and in the image calibration section this screen got excellent contrast and black actual value (around 1300:1 and 0,1 cd/m2),do you agree with them (i've read someone not really happy with dark scenes)?

@cataferal:you had w240d and switched to Benq,apart from ghosting what's your opinion,speaking about excessive brightness,and actual contrast/black point (i already posted on benq's topic,and i'm still not sure if it's too bright or simply good)?
Thank you guys

Last edited:
Associate
I find it hard to remember. It was so long ago...

I recall the touch-based menu bothering me. The inverse ghosting is, as always, most evident with football games. It's the worst I've ever seen in that regard. Besides this, it's a good all-rounder, and uses the same S-PVA panel as the late Samsung 240T. Good black levels too, and only a very slight lack of brightness uniformity (vertically).

Back
Top Bottom