"system failed CPU test" female voice..

Soldato
Okay so today my dad was using my old gaming rig to surf the web (2.8GHz P4C, which for about a year was run at 3.2GHz, then another year at 3.35GHz). It has an Asus P4C800-E motherboard, and when I stopped playing a game/music on my other PC, very faintly I could hear a strange noise.

Eventually I worked out it was from the direction of my old PC and turned up the volume and it was deffo something comming from the speakers (but they are monitor speakers so couldn't really hear), anyway just now I connected the PC up to my sub and low and behold its the female asus self test woman thingy saying "system failed CPU test" over and over and over and over again..

The PC was being used to surf the internet for about 4 hours straight whilst this alarm was sounding in the background, and a reboot fixed the problem, but what I want to know is what the hell caused this? I thought if a CPU test failed it would stop the PC from booting?

The CPU temp was around 32-34c throughout the day (whilst being used) so I dont think its heat related? Should I be looking in upgrading this trusty old PC to something better or is it still likely to continue to work for years to come?

Any thoughts?

Soldato
you mentioned your running the CPU faster then its stock speed, you received the error because the CPU now suddenly does not like the fact its overclocked...Take it back to stock speed and you should be ok...

As you can still use the machine I doubt if there has been any additional harm done...

Soldato
OP
Oops I forgot to mention, its been running at stock settings for about 2 months! - Mainly because it doesn't need to be overclocked to surf the internet any more. Also, I did have some proper speakers connected up to it untill a few weeks ago, as they are no longer used and just get dusty and look a mess :) (so I would have heard it if it had happened before)

Soldato
When your PC freezes randomly or restarts under load or it takes you a few tries to get to your desktop then I would look towards replacing PSU...

Try resetting bios settings to default and see how you get on, if it still continues then by all means look at alternative fixes..

Either way your choice..

Good luck

Associate
What's saying it though?

Some spyware riddled "l33t PC speeder" program?

Unless windows tells you something's wrong, ignore mysterious 3rd part female voices.

Soldato
What's saying it though?

Some spyware riddled "l33t PC speeder" program?

Unless windows tells you something's wrong, ignore mysterious 3rd part female voices.

Well I developed the same problem today and everything works fine but the voices telling me that something is wrong and it's hard to ignore it when it constantly screams in your ear. Apparently the A7N8X-E Deluxe board has a chip on the board that you can pull out to make it stop screaming, but I've no idea which one it is.

Soldato
Yeah rather hard to shut that one up. I now seem to have a fully working PC that keeps screaming that my CPU has failed, go figure.

Back
Top Bottom