Scooby Engine

G_D

G_D

Associate
Was just wondering about using the engine from an impreza as a donor engine for other projects. Ive never really come across it happening but on a first impressions somewhat thinking out loud basis seems like a good idea.

You can get imprezas nice and cheap as they are so common and their must be loads of crashed ones about you can get even cheaper and take the engine out of. Its a boxer engine so its small so wont be any worries about it fitting into what ever your intending on placing it into and it produces a lot of power. Its not hard to tune it more if you want or even detune by loosing the turbo. I guess their is the noise as well but thats a love or hate affair and not necessarily an appropriate noise for your car to make depending on where the engine will end up in.

I was wondering if the problem lied somewhere with it being 4wd meaning getting a gearbox sorted for it or running it just as RWD is hard so hence why it isn't used in other projects?

Soldato
has been done lots with vw bugs I know that. The awful misfire noise can be gotten rid of easily with a good equal length manifold system.

Soldato
Its a boxer engine so its small so wont be any worries about it fitting into what ever your intending on placing it into

Far from it. It's a boxer engine so although it's not very tall, it is very wide and creates all sorts of problems fitting into engine bays designed for inline fours etc.

If you like the engine, build yourself a Murtaya.

G_D

G_D

Associate
OP
Far from it. It's a boxer engine so although it's not very tall, it is very wide and creates all sorts of problems fitting into engine bays designed for inline fours etc.

Ah right fair enough, i was thinking even tho its a different shape to normal that the engine was still compact enough not to trouble most engine bays, but if that isn't the case then can guess that would not encourage it to be used.

Associate
I considered trying to get my dad to use one on the trike he is building but apparently the VW engine has plenty of power. Silly old sod what does he know

Associate
I considered trying to get my dad to use one on the trike he is building but apparently the VW engine has plenty of power. Silly old sod what does he know

I would get howls if I posted this at SN, not a trike but...:

2005-Subaru-Brough-STiATV-STi-Powered-ATV-A-640.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom