Building a Gaming Rig for my 21st :)

Associate
OP
I'm assuming all of the components listed above are well geared towards my proposed gaming rig. (plus I hope they all work together, can someone confirm this please?)

Additionally... any comments on the current proposed hardware would be very greatly appreciated! :D

Would you guys do it this way for £1500?

Soldato
Well the early reviews of 280GTX weren't that promising so I'm not sure that I would splash out that much on one even with the big budget.

Associate
OP
The graphics card is the only component I'm not really 100% on. I'm guessing the rest of the kit listed above will work correctly and well together, providing good overclockability for the CPU and the RAM.

Could someone please confirm this?

All comments are appreciated. :)

Soldato
Sorry, but I've got to stop you as you've got a top of the range GFX and a budget type monitor. Not a good combo. You might want to invest in a better monitor. Anyway, I'd probably recommend not going for the 280, considering the price difference and the not-so-impressive speed hike.

Soldato
Also now that 4850 reviews are appearing for the price I would buy that (hell 2 of them in crossfire would be cheaper than the 280GTX).

Associate
OP
As originally stated, I need to order the components for Friday so I really need to decide quite soon.

triggerhat - Any suggested monitor choices with the aforementioned hardware?

Associate
OP
Ok, after reading reviews. New spec can be seen below. (I know its overbudget but nevermind :p)

How do you think this selection is guys?
newfinalspec.jpg

Soldato
After reading the whole thing (yeah laptop bed getting up never really works) i drool a little at that set up! (for being that cool..) anyway YAY for deciding on the samsung monitor! All the way though i was hoping you would go for it (i have the older 20" version and it is possably the best thing iv ever brought). I do like the looks of the new gt280 card (even if its still brand new and therefore expensive it should be awsome).

Only one point, you could probably bring it back towards your budget with a cheaper motherboard, ie. the cheaper x48 dfi board, or the x38 lanparty board (i miss dfi lanparty boards after my rdx200 died :() or maybe even brave one of the new p45 boards (thiscould do with some research but i just think its silly to go for a £170 board... especially when crossfire isnt on the cards with the cool lookin g gt280)

Permabanned
You've picked the worst time to build a top of the range gaming rig lol. At this moment in time, I could not build a complete system, because of the situation the graphics card market is in. I simply cannot justify the £400 plus for the GTX280's performance, and with the 4870 not far away, I see no other option for the very best graphics card. If I were in your position, I would wait for the 4870's.

Soldato
tbh, id get 2 x 4850's they scale really well in crossfire and 2 of them are about the same performance as the GTX 280? and they can only get better with the new drivers that come out.

the rest looks ok, asside the mouse :p and ofcorse the motherboard would need changing if you did decide to go crossfire.

Associate
Your 1st choice of heatsink the T Tower is what i would keep as at this time it's prob the best air cooler on the market at this time,when i fitted this beast to my q6600 the cpu temp was idling at 28c and regarding what people say found it quite easy to fit the antec 1200 case is amazing loads of room holes everwhere for cable tidy nice blackpaint job on onside of case loads of thumbscrew to hold drivebays in place front fans all have dust filters a real nice case...
Hope they dont send you the one i got..lol

Back
Top Bottom