• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Overclocking The NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GTX+ Video Card

Permabanned
9800GTX

vtune_oc.jpg

9800GTX+

new_overclock.jpg

http://legitreviews.com/article/732/1/

Last edited:
Soldato
Not bad at all.

It seems most of the review sites around the web show the GeForce 9800 GTX+ about 10-15% faster than the Radeon HD 4850

It's enough. Undercutting ATi will help NV.

I believe we're looking at about £120-£130 for this card though?

Last edited:

J.D

J.D

Soldato
My old 9800 GTX could achieve 850/2500 linked. Not that impressed with the overclocking.

Great price though if correct.

So nothing new above?. :(

I thought these would go further than the old 9800GTX due to the die shrink.

I think that even though this card is going to do well I still think the 4 series from ATI have stole the limelight this time. Fair play to Nvidia to try and compete but if the 4850 is quite close to the GTX 260 at times and the 9800GTX+ is a little faster than the 4850 then who will buy the GTX 260?.

Associate
Well Asgard might have just had a wonder chip, it does happen :)
2200mhz on the shaders would be perfect for me, that's about 35% more shader power than my current card, will be very very nice for the folding, i'm really obsessed with my points in that now. If it could really go to 2500 that would be even more crazy, as i'm currently probably gonna get the 4850 as it looks right now, because of it's shader power.

Soldato
Good find Helmutcheese.

What I'd really like to see now is overclocked 9800GTX+ vs overclocked 4850 as that would show the real bang for buck winner.

I reckon that with the extra features you get with the 4850 still makes it better value for money.

Associate
I've really got to wait for the dust to settle on this, after having 3 generations of NV cards i'm really kean to switch sides though......just for the newness :D

Permabanned
OP
I have read peeps get 800mhz out of 9800GTX's, obv some may get a Golden Core or better cool it but I do not think many got 850mhz on the Core out the box.

Also see there not using Samsung Memory on the 9800GTX+ (IMO better but cost more), it was also rated for 2500mhz at a certain Voltage but probably undervolted same as on my card.

They do claim a better OC out the 9800GTX+'s Memory but that can vary from sample to sample or it could simply be getting more voltage than before.

Last edited:
Caporegime
My 9800GTX is folding right now at 820mhz, anything above 840mhz and I get a driver error and the app that is trying to run running crashes. :(

Soldato
What extra features?, don't forget the GTX comes with Physx support and Folding as well as CUDA.

ATI cards have physics support, folding and that video encoding on GPU thing will be available to ATI card owners too.

UVD 2.0 also has nice features like 'upscale your 1920x1080 streams fine towards for example a 2560x1600 sized monitor (no more black borders)' and 'if you playback a Blu-ray movie and simultaneously want to see a director's commentary (guided by video) you can now look at both the movie and (see it like picture in picture) in a smaller screen see the additional content.'

ATI cards also do 7.1ch sound over HDMI too. I believe that Nvidia have made a mistake by not including this in their cards.

Maybe one of Nvidia's board partners will include it but at the moment it gives big plus points, from me, to ATI (I'm sure they'll be well pleased!:p).

Then there's crossfire...........

Back
Top Bottom