Porsche Cayennes

Soldato
If someone wants to spend ludicrous amounts of money of a porsche cayenne then its their choice. Personally i've only had a kid run out of me once in a car park but luckily i was doing a sensible speed and managed to stop. The thing that worries me is when passing through radlett, which is a quaint little town in which rich people reside, i see untold amounts of people who are driving these big tanks and either cannot manuvure or park or simply aren't paying attention. This is when big cars get dangerous, anyone with common sense and a decent bit of driving skill will be ok in a big car, but a big car with a moron inside is a lethal combination and there's been a couple of times where i've had to stamp my foot on the brakes because of people not paying attention in these big tanks. I'm not making any assumptions about people who own these and i acknowledge that idiots in small cars are dangerous as well but i'd much rather be hit by a micra than a big 4x4.

but if youre hit by a wealthy person in a range rover, theyre so much more likely to be insured.. oh wait, that footballer haha

Caporegime
but if youre hit by a wealthy person in a range rover, theyre so much more likely to be insured.. oh wait, that footballer haha

At the end of the day if i am involved in a crash i wont be worried about the car, i'd rather have an uninsured micra hit me than have someone plough through me at 40mph in a tank. Insurance may pay for damage to my car but it wouldn't get me my legs back ;)

Associate
The only time that 4x4 drivers really bother me are round schools at drop off/pick up time. My school had the typical mums who 'needed' a Toyota Landcruiser Amazon VX to take their precious 3 yr old to nursery. Not annoying in itself, but I got the impression the parents might find it difficult to drive and manoeuvre a Corsa, let alone a vehicle the size of a house in heavy traffic. Saw more than a few parking scrapes too.

Good vehicles, shouldn't be priced off the road any more than the rest of us, but some people do buy them just to keep up with the neighbours.

Soldato
I would love a TDV8 or a V8 range rover in British racing green with cream leather and green piping.

I don't like the sport model though, I know it's "pointless" having a 4x4, but it's pointless having a super fast car, its pointless having a luxobarge when a mondeo wil do the same job etc tc.

Associate
What's a Cayenne like to drive then? If the turbo variant goes round the Nurburgring only a few seconds out from the 911 turbo, I'd imagine it must handle very well? Pretty amazing engineering feat...

Only 4x4 I've driven is my dad's Shogun, and that's got a a bit of an old-school, heavy, clunky, wallowy feel to it on the road. Had loads of fun on a few organised off-road days tho. It's amazing what these vehicles are actually capable of. You can happily drive up a muddy slope so steep it's tough to even walk up...

Soldato
[TW]Fox;11939367 said:
Out of interest how many times have posters on here actually hard to brake, HARD, for a kid who has just run out into the road?

I honestly cannot remember ever having to do it. Which kinda makes a mockery of my arguement about always fitting the absolute best tyres, but only as much as it makes a mockery of the 'hit me at 30' brigade.

I had to stop hard on my driving lesson two weeks back because a little kid who didnt look older than about 7 ran out into the street from behind a parked car.

Don
What's a Cayenne like to drive then? If the turbo variant goes round the Nurburgring only a few seconds out from the 911 turbo, I'd imagine it must handle very well? Pretty amazing engineering feat...

Only 4x4 I've driven is my dad's Shogun, and that's got a a bit of an old-school, heavy, clunky, wallowy feel to it on the road. Had loads of fun on a few organised off-road days tho. It's amazing what these vehicles are actually capable of. You can happily drive up a muddy slope so steep it's tough to even walk up...

in the right mode its lovely, so with the suspension at loading level in sport mode with the sport engine setting its a beast, got to have "manual mode" on too the auto box is lethal. braking wise its pretty epic bearing in mind the size and weght of the thing. it annoys the hell out C4s drivers who refuse to believe its faster than them and never move out the way ;)

Soldato
Can't comment on the Cayenne, but I do own a 4x4.

It's a Mitsubishi Warrior. Unfortunalety, I don't live in town, which is lucky becuase it's too big to fit in a parking space (according to this thread).

If I ever see children playing next to the road, I speed up, and lower my special child killer, bull bars which are finished with barbed wire and broken glass. (supposedly all 4x4s are child killers more capable of killing a child than an articulated lorry, boy racer in a Golf or a bus with a driver without a clue)

When driving generally, I like to indicate one way then turn the other. It gives me a great reason to road rage other drivers who interpreted my indications incorrectly. (I don't actually, but according to this thread all road rage incidents involve a 4x4 - certainly not the chavs, ****** and other general retards on the UK roads)

All that said, on the plus side my tax is far lower than the majority of other cars (it's classed as a commercial vehicle) as is my insurance.

Oh, and it works quite well off-road too and can carry a tonne in the back.

:o

Soldato
Do you or do you not agree that it's ridiculous giving a 4X4 such incredible performance?

Because the Cayenne Turbo would give an M3 a hard time! I mean ffs

I dont get your point, its TOTALLY flawed, when you say 'you know what i mean', I do not know what you mean.

Its a product in a market, performs better than some competitors and worse than others. Do you think Porsche feel bad and cry at the fact they produce a 4x4 that can outrun many sports cars?

Engineers engineer.

Make things faster/better, its a challenge, not just a simple case of 'mines faster than yours' but all sorts of reasons to stretch what is called 'normal'. If you want to stop that, then wait until you become the Ruler of the World.

Onto the subject of 4x4s, I suppose the main crux of your argument is that they should be used for their purpose? I suppose you'd want to include some clause when purchasing saying "I swearz I will use this off-road, if I dont, I have to give it back". Companies make products people will buy, only way to stop this is to Tax them to hell as you say or ban them, but what about the small business owner or rural resident who actually needs them? Oh an estate will do.

Soon you're going to say supercars are bought buy idiots because most dont race them around a track and are overpowered....oh wait...you wouldnt say that....would you?

;)

Soldato
Whatever I have said about the 4X4 the fact remains: They are mostly driven by women. Women don't care about cars. Women (the majority of) don't seem to be able to drive large cars, or park them. They buy them because they either feel secure or want to make some sort of pretentious presence on the road.

Next time one of you has £700 worth of paint damage to your car because of a woman driving a 4X4, then you might sympathise with me. In fact I'm positive I made a post on here about it when it happened last year.

Soldato
I dont get your point, its TOTALLY flawed, when you say 'you know what i mean', I do not know what you mean.

Its a product in a market, performs better than some competitors and worse than others. Do you think Porsche feel bad and cry at the fact they produce a 4x4 that can outrun many sports cars?

Different manufacturers have different priorities. There's nothing clever about shoving a ridiculously large twin turbo engine into a car and then claiming it goes fast. BMW/Audi on the other hand dedicate a lot of R&D into efficiency and the results are incredible. The 150bhp 1 series does something like 65mpg.

Soldato
Or it could be a bus, wagon, s-class, MPV, tractor, combine, bull, tree, cessna, concord or air force one.

They are all driven/flown by people who actually CAN drive/fly them.

Why do you always see new drivers in hatchbacks? Because they are cheaper to ensure, because insurance companies know that if you put a 17 year old in a massive car they are more likely to scratch/damage it. To be honest I'm struggling to see the difference in driving ability between many 17 year olds and middle aged women.

In fact I'd be extremely confident that the majority of insurance claims for the 40-60 year old female population come from self-inflicted damage to the car.

And to think they get lower premiums. It's sickening. Of course they statistically claim less, they DRIVE LESS. You don't get women lorry drivers etc. It's the same thing as insurance companies saying they'll only serve black people because they crash less.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom