MONGOl RALLY - Please Spare a £1 or 2

Associate
OP
2640449504_1493fcac90.jpg

Your Friend?

The Mongol Rally 2008 got underway from Highbury and Islington today.

I didn't see Event Horizon's Team Adventurist

I Think you will find thats a "copy" of the mongol rally, set up by some chaps who didnt get a place or something?

This is nolimits friends i think : http://www.gobi-ambulance.org.uk/home.asp

Associate
OP
Hello kind OcUK folk. :)

Had what i thought was a disaster this week, the Taxi code name "J-Lo" due to its fat rear end and corresponding number plate, refused to start. :eek:

We started to panic and were concerned that the former owner had been using veg oil and not diesel, which is not a good plan with an engine using a Lucas DPS diesel pump. :mad:

We spent quite a long time sweating and searching for the cause of its bad behaviour, and finally traced it to a fuel blockage in the water separator. :rolleyes:

All fixed now, it had its maiden voyage around Kingston upon Thames during evening rush hour. I was very happy with the mixed public response ranging from "what the **** is that??!!" to simply steeping back from the pavement in disgust or possibly fear.

Tomorrow is off road testing day, god knows what we will do if we drown it or end up stuck in a bog.. better now than in Siberia! :D

So, if you around surrey, especially Ranmore common, Leith hill or Wotton, and see a nasty looking taxi with massive teeth, stuck in a bog with two chaps pulling what is left of their hair out, giz a tow out ;)

Associate
OP
OMG i am starting to flap a bit now, the start has raced up and i cant believe that on Saturday i will depart Hyde park on this ludicrous adventure. The off road day went well, we didn't get stuck, break anything or catch fire. The sump guard took a good hard pounding fnarr fnarr but held up. i would like to stick it on the dyno again, last time there was a fuel blockage and it was producing a pitiful 35bhp... Its going a dam sight better now.

Lozza, the stickers arrived today, i did my best with them, but i think they would have been much better if they had been on a white background. I also b******d one up as i didn't realise that window cleaner would smudge the ink... I will post a pic over the next day or so.

Is anyone going to pop down to the start, cars arrive at about 9.30 - 10.30, kick off is at about 12.30?

Soldato
any chance you could fwd me the info you've been sent about launch day? (email in trust) I'll be there on Friday for the Africa Rally launch - but I imagine it'll be much the same thing - I've got to work saturday unfortunately. All I've been told really is "turn up at 0800, leave at 1600". Should be a fun day.

Looking forward to the Czech Party?

Soldato
I'll be in London on Friday, I'll come over and say hi :) What's the departure info?
Good luck with the whole thing, would love to do something like this sometime. Got my own 10 hour drive down to London to deal with tonight. I'll see if i can scrape any money your way through paypal when I get home

Associate
OP
any chance you could fwd me the info you've been sent about launch day? (email in trust) I'll be there on Friday for the Africa Rally launch - but I imagine it'll be much the same thing - I've got to work saturday unfortunately. All I've been told really is "turn up at 0800, leave at 1600". Should be a fun day.

Looking forward to the Czech Party?

on its way;)

Associate
OP
Megahurtz, El Gringo, Pulse ..... you are all top banana, thanks ever so much for your support, i am so grateful to OcUK and its brilliant forum members. :cool:

If anyone from OcUK HQ is reading this, if you can get a few stickers in the post to me, i will gladly splatter them all over the car, don't have much time left now I'm afraid.

Associate
OP
Ohh god.. i cant sleep, i just want to get going now, i cant take this worry..

Thank you to all of the people that have sponsored me, i am so grateful for your generosity, and it reaffirms my suspicion that the majority of this planets people are wonderfully kind. I hope that theory remains true for my trip.

I will update when i can, however i don't think PC access will be very likely. Instead i have invested in a super cool tracking device that will show where i am at any time. I will post the details of the website and log-in on here when i get it registered tomorrow.

Anywho, thanks to the help of the following OcUK forum members, i have now raised £905 of my £1000 target, thank you.

Dan Manley
Richard Armstrong
Kristofor Blake
Lawrence Arnold
Thomas Coombs
Gary Albin
Tuguldur Baatar
Adam Frater
Justin
Daniel Chambers

You names will be proudly emblazoned across our trusty chariot!

Soldato
I might be doing this next year with my friend (i say might... our names are down). Should be a worthy cause i reckon. I would love to donate some money for you but unfortunately i spent my last 20p on baked beans for dinner tomorrow. Not going to get paid for ages as my new job ****** up my account details. I hope you all the best with this though and a safe journey to boot.

Back
Top Bottom