Sky Netgear DG834 router problem

Associate
Hi,

I've recently moved into a new place and i'm having problems with the sky broadband... my PC wireless card (also netgear) can find and connect to the router and says i have 108Mbs but whenever i open a browser (tried firefox, explorer and safari) i get the "cannot display page" message.... other ppl in the house have no problems at all - any ideas??

Cheers

Caporegime
Can you ping the router, access its web interface etc?
Make sure the encryption key is right - the card will say it's connected without being fully connected.

Associate
OP
I did that msn connect - test thing ... didnt get me anywhere...
I've been trying to access the interface, but the user i.d (Admin) and password (password) arent working - even after i pressed the reset button... i got them from the online manual.

Soldato
Read toliens post again - its got nothing to do with MSN,

1) check you are connected properly,
2) make sure correct encryption key is entered
3) check Wireless access control is either deactivated or you are in the trusted list (you will need to access this through routers web interface)

Associate
OP
I'm getting the log-in prompt but cant seem to get past it

I've been using the username: admin
and password: password

as stated in the online user manual. but no joy. i pressed the reset button (several times) but doesnt make any difference.....

my friend had a problem of an intermittent signal with his and we logged in no problem.... but we used a cable... do you think i'll need to get a cable and do it that way?

how do i "ping" the router?

Soldato
? http://192.168.0.1 or smt like that. login check status etc. Diagnostics - post details here.

could try phoning sky and wading through their tier 1 points checklist etc.

i have the GT variant of the router u have. I can also testify that bizzarely enuff even when i switched off my router it still appeared in my wireless connections list (not unusual you might say but showing as full green lights connected as well?)

Soldato
Your using the wrong login info for the router.

Username - admin
Password - sky

To ping the router open command prompt and type 'ping 192.168.0.1'.
If you can access the router interface you shoudn't need to do this.

Associate
OP
Can access the interface..... but when i do the router ping test i get 100% failure....
i can connect with good strength but my browsers keep giving error pages...

any other ideas?

Associate
OP
I'm using Sygate firewall..... i used to be wireless ages ago - i was linking to a Belking router - then i changed to ethernet connection....

i'll try the incryption thing... at work now though :(

Associate
The encryption is how the router is protected to stop people from connecting wirelessy.

I thought if you turned off the encryption you could at least see if it's working properly on your machine.

There is a good guide here for setting up wireless if you don't have the cd.
http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/wireless-adapters/11483-wireless-tutorial.html

Have you not got the inital cd to set it up as I used that and it worked fine first time.

Back
Top Bottom