MONGOl RALLY - Please Spare a £1 or 2

Associate
OP
Last edited:
Associate
OP
Disaster Strikes:(

Things started off so well... We left London at 12.30 Saturday lunchtime. By the time we had got down to the channel tunnel in Dover, the car was running very hot. as it was now 5pm on a Saturday we decided to stop as soon as the temperature started to get close to red.

We soldiered on the next day racking our brains, trying to think what would be wrong. I went through a simple diagnostic procedure and came to the conclusion that the radiator was blocked. we tried to find a replacement but Saturday in Germany was proving fruitless.

I attempted to clear it with "wee stain remover" that was acquired from a service station. I used it because it dissolved lime, which is what i believed was blocking the rad. After two attempts at this, we had improved the situation fractionally, and were now using the two interior heaters to remove some of the heat build up.

We had managed to keep the running temperature to just below the start of the danger zone. This was extremely difficult as we were on German autobahns doing 45mph on the flat and 35mph uphill with traffic passing us at 150mph+. We arrived in the Czech Republic at about 10pm on Sunday. The car had got a little too far into the red at one point at a very long uphill climb where we were holding up everything including massive articulated lorries and cars towing caravans. We had passed a breakers yard but being Sunday there was no one about. We intended to go back in the morning (Monday) and find a replacement radiator, but when we started the car on Monday, things were far from OK.

We had a lot of noise and a very unbalanced engine, it was only running on three cylinders and there was a lot of blow-by. most of you will have guessed right - at least two compression rings were cracked and were not allowing full compression and thus ignition to take place. We nursed the now very sick engine back to the breakers, not really knowing what we were going to do.

We found the nearest thing to a radiator that fitted in the form of a BMW 325core, coupled with an expansion tank from a VW polo, we had a cooling system that worked again. Temperatures never climbed above 1/4 but it was too late.... the damage had been done.

We weighed up the options, we did not have enough time to repair what would ultimately involve a bottom end rebuild, we didn't have the equipment either. we searched for a new engine in CZ but found nothing suitable. We were left with the choice of carry on the rally and see how long it takes to blow up, or head home at a very slow rate and save all the equipment, kit and spares we had taken with us that would be dumped somewhere near Kiev if we had carried on. we drove the 700 miles back in one hit, stopping every 50 miles to stick a liter of oil in the engine! It eventually coughed back over the channel and ended up using 2.5 liters of oil to cover 100Km, it really was bad.

To say i am miserable is an understatement, i am so disappointed that we dropped out so early, we really had put a huge amount of effort into this car, and were confidant that it would make the distance easily. In hindsight, we should have turned around in Dover but at that point we had thought the overheating had been caused by the severe weight of the vehicle and the huge aerodynamic drag created by a roof box and six wheels and tyres on the roof. I feel that i have let all of the people who so kindly and generously donated to our charities, all the people that donated parts and helped with the build of the car. I really am very sorry and gutted that our attempt ended in its infancy.

The car is now pretty much scrap with regards to The engine, however after scouring the Mongol rally documentation, there is no time limit on how long you can take to get to Mongolia, so with that in mind, i am hatching a plan to go for "the longest time record" by fitting a newer TD engine, and completing the rally next year.

sorry....

Associate
Sorry to hear you didn't make it Event Horizon, I've been following the Rally this year more than normal, if you do it next year watch out for two guys in a Fiat Panda as myself and my friend will be doing it next year.

Man of Honour
Sorry to hear you didn't make it Event Horizon, I've been following the Rally this year more than normal, if you do it next year watch out for two guys in a Fiat Panda as myself and my friend will be doing it next year.

two guys in a fiat panda accounts for roughly 25% of all entrants I'd say...

another 30% or so being covered by the 'two guys in a suzuki vitara'....

Soldato
if by "properly fitted out" you mean something like this:

n61008130_36242007_2846.jpg

then it might not be such a great idea!

Yes, they took a bath and a sofa in 2 rascals, one of which made it about 10 yards past the start line before it broke. Destination: Cameroon, not Mongolia.

Really bad luck Nick, see you next year I guess!

Associate
nightmare!!! these things can't be helped, and just adds to the stories and fun to be had.

cant you fix it and start again this year (this month????) seeing as there is no time limit?

Caporegime
I saw the thread and rememberd my new card was here so I put my money in, but so so unlucky that happned, awful that it happened in Germany of all places. Best of luck with a new engine :(

Associate
OP
nightmare!!! these things can't be helped, and just adds to the stories and fun to be had.

cant you fix it and start again this year (this month????) seeing as there is no time limit?

I am so tight on time....

By the time i had a set of rings and new big ends, which i can't order until i dig the broken ones out as I don't know if its standard or oversize yet, i will be five days behind the pack. My return flight is on the 17th of August and i have to be back at work on the 19th. I think by the time we got back there would probably be a fair bit of bore damage that wont just hone out, but i cant be sure.

I am sitting here sleep deprived as i drove all last night to get back to see if i could get it sorted. I cant even think clearly at the moment, but i just don't think its possible. Its making me feel sick as i read the progress of the other teams, many of whom are now deep in the Ukraine or Kazakh borders where i should be.

I am going to sleep on it and make a final decision tomorrow, but my feeling at the moment is that its just not possible despite my desperation not to loose the best part of 8 months work and planning.

To cap this whole sorry s*** situation off, i believe that someone had put rad-weld in the rad a few days before the start without flushing the system first, so that explains the blockage.. I feel like punching their lights out.

Soldato
Ah unlucky man, i bet your gutted! :(

These things happen i suppose, at least i can get that translated thing you needed to you now :p

If you did get my name on the car in the end, could i maybe have a pic of it?

Sorry to hear this again, but this means your getting closer to the year i want to do it, meaning an OcUK convoy!!!

Associate
OP
Of course, i will get the photos of the car uploaded asap, its over at a team mates house now. I have just talked to him and given him a decision to make. there is a very very slim chance that its not over yet.

Associate
I am so tight on time....

By the time i had a set of rings and new big ends, which i can't order until i dig the broken ones out as I don't know if its standard or oversize yet, i will be five days behind the pack. My return flight is on the 17th of August and i have to be back at work on the 19th. I think by the time we got back there would probably be a fair bit of bore damage that wont just hone out, but i cant be sure.

I am sitting here sleep deprived as i drove all last night to get back to see if i could get it sorted. I cant even think clearly at the moment, but i just don't think its possible. Its making me feel sick as i read the progress of the other teams, many of whom are now deep in the Ukraine or Kazakh borders where i should be.

I am going to sleep on it and make a final decision tomorrow, but my feeling at the moment is that its just not possible despite my desperation not to loose the best part of 8 months work and planning.

To cap this whole sorry s*** situation off, i believe that someone had put rad-weld in the rad a few days before the start without flushing the system first, so that explains the blockage.. I feel like punching their lights out.

just get another engine to slap in it. could be turned around in no time at all! :)

i am sure a kind garage could have helped for charity...sourced it by the time you got back and fitted it upon arrival :)

ok...maybe I am dreaming.

Associate
OP
I suppose the car had a million miles in it. Next year you should try getting something a bir newer may be with less miles.

Bad luck mate! May be next year.

It did have a million miles, however it also had £950 in trade price parts fitted or replaced as well as some custom bits and pieces that were bespoke. It was not on its first engine, and the auto gearbox was rebuilt. The engine showed no signs of problems following crank inspection boreascope and compression testing, followed by cam belt replacement. This really was one of the best prepared cars entered for the rally.

Its just not something i could have accounted for, especially not knowing that a well meaning individual had dumped rad-weld into it.

I have spent nearly two hours on the phone today to the other two teammates. One of them has made it very clear that he is not interested in getting it sorted and trying again. I am so disappointed, but he is being very negative about everything and i have to question if he ever really had his heart in it. the problem is that with the time we need to make up, i have to go with three people (two rotating drivers and one to navigate all the time) So with him pulling out it makes it almost impossible to carry on.

Its time to call it a day now, and learn some lessons for next year, the biggest lesson being very careful about who i decide to attempt the rally with next time.

Associate
Hi - although this thread is old, just read it. Very interesting. I bought a Suzuki SJ 410 in 2005 and drove to Mongolia, put a piston through the engine block before I even left the UK then broke down in 17 countries. Cool trip, but looking back, my clapped out jeep was not a donation to Mongolia. We started UK registered charity Go Help, and the Mongolia Charity Rally (the 100% charitable version of the MR) as a result.

I can only say to future teams reading this: think very seriously about the car you take. A clapped out banger is not only useless to Mongolia, its useless to you. The first few breakdowns will be fun. The next ten won't be, and you miss the best parts of the world you are visiting as a result!

Best regards,

Dave @ Charity Rallies
mongolia.charityrallies.org

Back
Top Bottom