What amp do i need??

Associate
Hi guys,

Got a Samsung le40a656 tv and am trying to get the sound to come from a Marantz PM7200 sterio amp. I use a hdmi lead for picture straight between the source ( Sky HD, DVD player etc.. )and tv but if i wire the source to the amp using rca leads there is approx half a second lag on the sound coming from the amp compared to whats coming from the TV ( the tv sound is in sync ).

how do i get the sound coming from my amp to catch up, or do i need some sort of AV amp, not sure as a bit noob on such things??

Thanks

Babyface

Associate
Onkyo 606 i think would do this for you though that only has 3 hdmi leads in.

The 875 is the next step up but thats £599. For the budget you have i don't think you'll get a amp with 4 hdmi ports in.

Associate
Make sure you get an amp with pre outs so you can still use your stereo amp. That onkyo will sound awful with music compared to your marantz stereo, so you don't want to spend 400 quid on something that will be a step backwards in sound quality.

Associate
OP
Make sure you get an amp with pre outs so you can still use your stereo amp. That onkyo will sound awful with music compared to your marantz stereo, so you don't want to spend 400 quid on something that will be a step backwards in sound quality.

would only be used for TV viewing, got a seperate Cyrus system for stereo so not to much of a problem, or is the sound that bad on them?

Soldato
Sky HD includes sync delay in the setup screens, so thats no problem, but I dont believe there are any DVD's which let you resync the sound without using a proper AV amp or Processor.

You need to spend a lot more money to get an AV amp that sounds remotely close to a stereo amp in quality (As 5.1/7.1 amps are obviously more complex than 2 channel amps).

I wouldnt say they are all poop though, im very happy with my AV system when playing music. But then it probably helps that its an AV Pre-amp driving a bunch of "hifi" monoblocks, and cost a little bit more than the average Onkyo reciever.

For watching movies, and TV, switching from a 2 channel stereo, to a full surround system should still be able to put a smile on your face, especially as you have a proper system for music anyway.

One trick you might consider, a lot of TV's have a stereo "RCA" output which will send a downmixed 2 channel output including all the delay correction from the TV to the existing amp. On my Sony TV the quality sucked, it was very hissy, but my Panasonic's output isnt to bad. (Dont use it mind, as I do have a proper AV setup, but have to play with things ya know).

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Sky HD includes sync delay in the setup screens, so thats no problem, but I dont believe there are any DVD's which let you resync the sound without using a proper AV amp or Processor.

You need to spend a lot more money to get an AV amp that sounds remotely close to a stereo amp in quality (As 5.1/7.1 amps are obviously more complex than 2 channel amps).

I wouldnt say they are all poop though, im very happy with my AV system when playing music. But then it probably helps that its an AV Pre-amp driving a bunch of "hifi" monoblocks, and cost a little bit more than the average Onkyo reciever.

For watching movies, and TV, switching from a 2 channel stereo, to a full surround system should still be able to put a smile on your face, especially as you have a proper system for music anyway.

One trick you might consider, a lot of TV's have a stereo "RCA" output which will send a downmixed 2 channel output including all the delay correction from the TV to the existing amp. On my Sony TV the quality sucked, it was very hissy, but my Panasonic's output isnt to bad. (Dont use it mind, as I do have a proper AV setup, but have to play with things ya know).

will have a look this evening on the different wire setups and post back when done.

Ta

Babyface

Soldato
Yeah sure it does love [pats head]

Well, i've yet to see any evidence yet that any amp will make a difference above a certain level, although mine does have the advantage of audyssey. Which does make up for my rather rubbish room acoustics. I'd be willing to bet that alone will give it an edge over a bog standard stereo amp (provided the levels are the same and not driven to distortion).

Associate
OP
right, after an hours worth of cable switch here we go,

sky HD sound via HDMI to tele, then out from tele to amp via RCA cable - the sound is slightly ahead from the amp compared to whats coming out the TV speakers, but still noticeable on lip sync being out.

Tried direct RCA connection from Sky HD to amp and sound from amp is well ahead of what comes from the TV.

From what i can see Sky HD only lets you delay the sound if you connect via optical.

Any more ideas

Ty

Permabanned
Well, i've yet to see any evidence yet that any amp will make a difference above a certain level, although mine does have the advantage of audyssey. Which does make up for my rather rubbish room acoustics. I'd be willing to bet that alone will give it an edge over a bog standard stereo amp (provided the levels are the same and not driven to distortion).

Nope sorry.

Soldato
I've noticed that lipsync on sky is dubious sometimes anyway, Im constantly changing delay to compensate. Try with DVD - TV using the TVs RCA's as you said that it seemed better like that. It could just be that sky's out of sync when you were testing.

Back
Top Bottom