Cheapest/best way to run a tiny java application on a server?

Soldato
As title really...

A very small irc bot that will be run in a single channel which just outputs some information when people ask for it.

Have it running on my computer in a cmd.exe window, which isn't ideal, obviously! What would the cheapest/best way of getting it hosted some how?

I doubt my (shared hosting) would run java apps at command line.

Thanks for any info :)
KA

Una

Una

Associate
Some hosts do actually allow you ssh access and background processes - however these are becoming more and more rare these days. Cheapest way would be to run it on an university server you have access too if possible =)

Soldato
OP
No access to a uni server lol. And in ssh if I type java or javac it doesn't find the applications so I guess that's off. And I'm pretty sure they don't allow you to run processes.

Just wondering what sort of prices I'd be looking at to do something like this really. Running another computer myself isn't really an option either.

Soldato
OP
I'm not really sure, according to my task manager java.exe is using 3,600 K. But I'm not sure 'what else' is running, and where.
I guess I'll just search for some VDS hosts and see what they say, although I think reg1's VDS isn't the same as everyone elses.

Associate
says on the shells section

IRC Clients
Includes BNCs, Bots

So im pretty sure its alright. Jibble, the pircbot writer went to my Uni, thats where most of the bots my mates have got running live, on internal IRC network.

Back
Top Bottom