• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Ati r870 GPU

Permabanned
Well most people were saying that it was impossible for crossfire/sli to scale 100%. You only have to look at cod 4 and all top range ati cards using crossfire do this so it is possible. They need to figure out how this was done and try repeat it in all games surely if 1 game can do it in the future all games should be able to.

They need help from the devs to get performance to scale that high, as far as I know activision worked on making COD4 optimised for multi GPUs.

I remember reading something a few weeks back where AMD said they need devs to take their role more seriously when it comes to multi GPUs as that could help the scaling quite lot if the coding was done more efficiently.

Caporegime
old news, repost thread.

The articles say dual -gpu, not dual core, and its just a new X2 card. the current cards have 800 shaders a core, 1600 total, the new ones are 1000 per core, 2000 per card, 25% bump, nothing magical or particularly difficult to see how much faster it will be. Its a die shrink with most likely a few optimisations, and a few more shaders, in the best case situation it will have 25% more shader power(though clocks will likely be higher on all existing shaders too remember, so call it 35-45% faster) and worst case scenario it will only be 5-10% faster. remember sometimes it can use all the shaders, sometimes only around 1/5th or so of them are getting used, generally a mix inbetween.

People are so ridiculous about drivers, 2-3 years without a significant problem, I've not bothered with the 8.8's yet, as i operate on a need to do basis. if something doesn't work I'll try a new driver. Most ATi users would be 100% fine on an older set and if they didn't try the new ones wouldn't have an issue. I can't even say if its a user side problem or some bug in these drivers or not as I haven't tried them. But you don't HAVE to upgrade to new drivers just because they are there, if they aren't working for you, go back to the last ones that did, who the hell cares.

if i look over the last 3 years of ATi drivers i've had no issues, at all. if i look at Nvidia over the same time I cant' say that, no one can, their vista drivers for a year were a complete joke. They have far more than 1 bad set a year. if they had one more bad set, or one more good set, it doesn't suddenly change how good their drivers are in general or how good their team is. likewise one bad ATi set(if its bad, like i said i haven't tried it) doesn't mean their drivers are suddenly all crap all the time for all eternity.

Associate
First and foremost AMD need to sort their drivers out before stepping too far ahead.

You have hit the nail on the head with this one.
I get so many problems with 4870X2 quad-fire... I hate restarting my system due to graphics driver blue-screens.

Soldato
I get so many problems with 4870X2 quad-fire... I hate restarting my system due to graphics driver blue-screens.

You also have to remember your card has only been released for 1 and a half months so give them the time to try and fix all the problems. As said in another thread there are so many variations of setup its impossible for them to test all these different combo's and have the cards running with no problems on all peoples machines. Best way to get these problems fixed is notify ati of the problem you are having in the correct manor and hope a fix will be available as soon as possible.

Soldato

give it time new gpu always have problems with drivers well not always but u use sli/xfire quadfire specially

Associate
Anyone that expected to have perfect driver's for the 4870X2 from day one was being a bit naive in my opinion. What you can be sure of though is that properly optimised and working driver's for it will be coming and will continue to come for quite a while that is not something i can say of nvidia in my personal experience. I hope they can sort out the X2 varients so that crossfire is done on a hardware level meaning software sees it and uses it as one card that for me would be a sufficient reason to upgrade.

Soldato
You also have to remember your card has only been released for 1 and a half months so give them the time to try and fix all the problems. As said in another thread there are so many variations of setup its impossible for them to test all these different combo's and have the cards running with no problems on all peoples machines. Best way to get these problems fixed is notify ati of the problem you are having in the correct manor and hope a fix will be available as soon as possible.

If it doesn't work it shouldn't have been released at all!

Soldato
Well most people were saying that it was impossible for crossfire/sli to scale 100%. You only have to look at cod 4 and all top range ati cards using crossfire do this so it is possible. They need to figure out how this was done and try repeat it in all games surely if 1 game can do it in the future all games should be able to.

Cod4 is a multi GPU coded game, its not being forced to like most & that's why it scales better.

Soldato
old news, repost thread.

The articles say dual -gpu, not dual core, and its just a new X2 card. the current cards have 800 shaders a core, 1600 total, the new ones are 1000 per core, 2000 per card, 25% bump, nothing magical or particularly difficult to see how much faster it will be. Its a die shrink with most likely a few optimisations, and a few more shaders, in the best case situation it will have 25% more shader power(though clocks will likely be higher on all existing shaders too remember, so call it 35-45% faster) and worst case scenario it will only be 5-10% faster. remember sometimes it can use all the shaders, sometimes only around 1/5th or so of them are getting used, generally a mix inbetween.

People are so ridiculous about drivers, 2-3 years without a significant problem, I've not bothered with the 8.8's yet, as i operate on a need to do basis. if something doesn't work I'll try a new driver. Most ATi users would be 100% fine on an older set and if they didn't try the new ones wouldn't have an issue. I can't even say if its a user side problem or some bug in these drivers or not as I haven't tried them. But you don't HAVE to upgrade to new drivers just because they are there, if they aren't working for you, go back to the last ones that did, who the hell cares.

if i look over the last 3 years of ATi drivers i've had no issues, at all. if i look at Nvidia over the same time I cant' say that, no one can, their vista drivers for a year were a complete joke. They have far more than 1 bad set a year. if they had one more bad set, or one more good set, it doesn't suddenly change how good their drivers are in general or how good their team is. likewise one bad ATi set(if its bad, like i said i haven't tried it) doesn't mean their drivers are suddenly all crap all the time for all eternity.

+1

Associate
Funny, the drivers for my 280 seem ready.
Those for the 4850 gave me sleepless nights, and ulcers.

In fairness though 48nn is a new architecture, and GTX200 is "more of the same".

Permabanned
lol u guys are funny...when ati dont rush to get their hyped up products out on the market.......you complain.

when they do and their drivers arent mature enough......you complain!

Back
Top Bottom