Official Rampage Extreme Review/Overclock/Guide Thread

Associate
The NC-U6 might fit on both chipset parts but as we don't have this board we are unable to test compatibility with it.
Furthermore due to the location of the Southbridge and the size of the NC-U6 you'll probably have compatibilty issues with a number of video cards.

I'm sorry that I can't give you an answer with secure informations about this matter.

--
Best regards,
Andreas Karner

The Noctua NC-U6 (in NB) surely fit, but NOT if is the TRUE installed. The HR-05 sli/ifx fits perfectly beside the TRUE, but...What about first pci slot and ram? And furthermore with Noctua 8" fan...
I want to believe that fits...

All the others components we know that fits well. They are already tested by several people.

Soldato
I'm just about to buy this board, having read through the whole of this thread I noted the problems encountered where the capacitor stops the stock cooler making complete contact. Is there a replacement air cooling that can be used? Anyone have a link to any mods or pointers? Also if you just replace the stock cooling with thermal paste the washers used are? Where do you get hold of them or is there a better solution.:confused:

Click on my trust for my email, i will reply with further information

As to the memory question are you intending to run 32 or 64 bit (vista) system?

Matutu is currently using the Gskill 2*2. He will be posting his results/ findings this evening.

if 2*2 modules are not required, and it is sheer performance you want either the

CellShock 2GB PC3-15000C8 Blue Edition 1866C8 http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showp...n 1866C8 (2x1GB) Dual Channel DDR3 (CS3222770)

CellShock 2GB PC3-14400C8 Black Edition 1800C8 http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showp...n 1800C8 (2x1GB) Dual Channel DDR3 (CS3222580)

The Gskill 2*2 do not offer much in terms of OC or performance in relation to the CellShock 2*1

The Noctua NC-U6 (in NB) surely fit, but NOT if is the TRUE installed. The HR-05 sli/ifx fits perfectly beside the TRUE, but...What about first pci slot and ram? And furthermore with Noctua 8" fan...
I want to believe that fits...

All the others components we know that fits well. They are already tested by several people.

The best person to ask would be Smirnoff ;). Due to his location, nature of work he may be in a position to offer up confirmation to your enquiry.

Last edited:
Associate
Hi and welcome to the thread

The description you describe is reportedly the affect of Bios corruption. How is Bios 301 in terms of stability and OC'ing?

Do you have a link for Bios 301? as i am unable to locate on Asus bios update page for the Ramp Ex

Keep the thread updated as all information, results are useful to us all:)

Sure here
http://mjrl.oc-zone.org/rampage_extreme/Rampage-ASUS-Extreme-0301.ROM

Ok, the results with OCZ 2000 2x2gb with bios 301 where a bit down of my expectations, now i will try with 403.
Has i said in my post, with bios 301 a failed oc put my cpu at 1,9v and mem at max voltage to, also like bios 403 did.

For now, at my experience this motherboard with the bios available its not good for oc quads and 2x2gb os mem. I'm using a q9550 and 2x2 gb of ocz platinum and i was better with my other combo Maximus Formula SE and 4x1gb ocz reaper 9200 and q6600. At least with the platinuns i could always boot, with GSkill PI TT i was tired of reset bios.
Sorry for my English

Last edited:
Associate
I will be posting my results very soon lol Gave up on the 1:2 with memory last night its just to much of a limit had my little Q9650 up to 4.86 thought WOW this is nice, "O i better check the NB temps, OMG 71 Degrees" :D:D:D:D lol back down to 3.9Ghz 1:2 now hehe. I post the my bench marks When im completly happy its stable and max i can get hehe :D.

Associate
Click on my trust for my email, i will reply with further information

As to the memory question are you intending to run 32 or 64 bit (vista) system?

Matutu is currently using the Gskill 2*2. He will be posting his results/ findings this evening.

if 2*2 modules are not required, and it is sheer performance you want either the

CellShock 2GB PC3-15000C8 Blue Edition 1866C8 http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showp...n 1866C8 (2x1GB) Dual Channel DDR3 (CS3222770)

CellShock 2GB PC3-14400C8 Black Edition 1800C8 http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showp...n 1800C8 (2x1GB) Dual Channel DDR3 (CS3222580)

The Gskill 2*2 do not offer much in terms of OC or performance in relation to the CellShock 2*1

The best person to ask would be Smirnoff ;). Due to his location, nature of work he may be in a position to offer up confirmation to your enquiry.

OK many thanks, have sent you an email. Going to run Windows XP maybe I'll succomb to Vista for a trial I do have Ultimate 64 which I could install. Looking for performance so I'll probably go with CellShock Blue, I guess your going to tell me that I need 4Gb?:eek:

Soldato
I will be posting my results very soon lol Gave up on the 1:2 with memory last night its just to much of a limit had my little Q9650 up to 4.86 thought WOW this is nice, "O i better check the NB temps, OMG 71 Degrees" :D:D:D:D lol back down to 3.9Ghz 1:2 now hehe. I post the my bench marks When im completly happy its stable and max i can get hehe :D.

Get posting Dude :)

Sure here
http://mjrl.oc-zone.org/rampage_extreme/Rampage-ASUS-Extreme-0301.ROM

Ok, the results with OCZ 2000 2x2gb with bios 301 where a bit down of my expectations, now i will try with 403.
Has i said in my post, with bios 301 a failed oc put my cpu at 1,9v and mem at max voltage to, also like bios 403 did.

For now, at my experience this motherboard with the bios available its not good for oc quads and 2x2gb os mem. I'm using a q9550 and 2x2 gb of ocz platinum and i was better with my other combo Maximus Formula SE and 4x1gb ocz reaper 9200 and q6600. At least with the platinuns i could always boot, with GSkill PI TT i was tired of reset bios.
Sorry for my English

OCZ memory unfortunately does not play nice with this board. The OCZ plats 2000 use Samsung IC's.

With regard to the Gskill modules it may be worth you considering a complete fresh install as you may have a corrupt Bios due to flashing. A complete reinstall and Bios 403 update should resolve the problem with the Gskill. (See posts page 7, post no 181 onwards of the this thread)

OK many thanks, have sent you an email. Going to run Windows XP maybe I'll succomb to Vista for a trial I do have Ultimate 64 which I could install. Looking for performance so I'll probably go with CellShock Blue, I guess your going to tell me that I need 4Gb?:eek:

No only 2*1 if you intend to use XP (32bit) and looking for performance;)

(replied to pm)

Last edited:
Associate
Get posting Dude :)

OCZ memory unfortunately does not play nice with this board. The OCZ plats 2000 use Samsung IC's.

With regard to the Gskill modules it may be worth you considering a complete fresh install as you may have a corrupt Bios due to flashing. A complete reinstall and Bios 403 update should resolve the problem with the Gskill. (See posts page 7, post no 181 onwards of the this thread)

For me it was diferent, i've tried all bios with GSkill more then 1 time só i think the problems where with the mems.
The manufacturers every refresh ara changing IC's, so if i buy ones, and one month after you buy the same ref. you may have diferent IC's on the same memorys. So thats way some people having issues with identical mems.
With the platinun's no more coldboots, they have samsung ics, Corsair are using also samsung ic's on their high speed memory.
The big problem is the motherboard to handle with quad and 2x2 gb, for now its a bit dificult.

Associate
Hi guys,

I bought the Rampage Extreme from here a couple of weeks ago along with the OCZ 1600MHz Platinum Enhanced Bandwidth modules (2x 2x1GB) ... which I have had no problems with after hours of Prime95'ing at 400MHz FSB on my Q9550 running at 3.4GHz...

Well...

I updated to BIOS 0403 a few days ago and since then I am unable to boot the system unless all of my BIOS settings are set to automatic. I am not even able to manually set voltages and frequencies the same as what automatic is giving them, the stock frequencies. So I have to run everything on automatic which means I have lost my lovely overclock!

On top of this, the Rampage Extreme seems like it is not compatible with the Enermax Aurora keyboard because when the keyboard is connected and I turn the system on, it locks up. If I connect the LCD display, it says 'USBFINAL' and doesn't progress from there. I have contacted the fine people at OCUK who suggested enabling Legacy USB support, which I have done using another keyboard, but my Enermax Aurora still does not work at all with the PC. I have tested the keyboard on my laptop and on my other PC and it works fine. Maybe it's just the complicatedness of the keyboard (audio jacks, USB hub etc.) preventing it from booting?

Also...

The temperatures on the northbridge are really high. Even at 333MHz FSB, the chip approaches 60C using automatic voltages (I am unable to change this since the new BIOS).

I have heard that although this motherboard is a high end part, ASUS still managed to cut corners and do a very poor job with the thermal compound between the X48 and the heatpipe cooling solution... Will I void my warranty if I replace their bad work with a decent splodge of AS5?

Update: Looks like I'm returning it for testing!

Last edited:
Soldato
Hi guys,

I bought the Rampage Extreme from here a couple of weeks ago along with the OCZ 1600MHz Platinum Enhanced Bandwidth modules (2x 2x1GB) ... which I have had no problems with after hours of Prime95'ing at 400MHz FSB on my Q9550 running at 3.4GHz...

The OCZ 1600Mhz EW worked out with the shipped Bios 201?

I updated to BIOS 0403 a few days ago and since then I am unable to boot the system unless all of my BIOS settings are set to automatic. I am not even able to manually set voltages and frequencies the same as what automatic is giving them, the stock frequencies. So I have to run everything on automatic which means I have lost my lovely overclock!

Out of interest as you have not mentioned above. Did you retain the shipped Bios on either Bios1 or Bios2. When you updated to Bios 403 did you flash over shipped Bios?

The temperatures on the northbridge are really high. Even at 333MHz FSB, the chip approaches 60C using automatic voltages (I am unable to change this since the new BIOS).

There is a design fault with the NB cooling if you look at page 6 of the thread.

I have heard that although this motherboard is a high end part, ASUS still managed to cut corners and do a very poor job with the thermal compound between the X48 and the heatpipe cooling solution... Will I void my warranty if I replace their bad work with a decent splodge of AS5?

Update: Looks like I'm returning it for testing!

I agree Asus QA is extremely poor. As to removing the heat pipe solution and reapplying thermal paste will not affect the warranty of the motherboard. The warranty becomes void if total modification is implemented ie total removal of cooling system is removed and home made modifications are applied.

With regards to your key board problem, was the key board working before the update Bios flash?

Another alternative as flashing the Bios has resulted in reported corrupt Bios. You may consider doing a complete new install, flashing to Bios 404 on Bios chip1 and 301 on Bios chip2 and see if either one resolves the problems you have described above.

Keep us up-dated how it works out

Last edited:
Associate
The OCZ 1600Mhz EW worked out with the shipped Bios 201?

Yes these modules worked fine and I was running them at just over 1.9v at 1600MHz with 7-6-6-20 latencies and all other memory latencies set to Auto. This was with the shipped BIOS 301.

Out of interest as you have not mentioned above. Did you retain the shipped Bios on either Bios1 or Bios2. When you updated to Bios 403 did you flash over shipped Bios?

I am now hoping that 301 was already on BIOS 2 as I flashed over BIOS 1 with the 403 BIOS but haven't touched BIOS 2.

There is a design fault with the NB cooling if you look at page 6 of the thread.

This makes me mad!

With regards to your key board problem, was the key board working before the update Bios flash?

No it had the same problems before the flash.

I've received an RMA number and OCUK are going to sort me out, I'll let you know if there is a fault, or not, and if there isn't, I'll let you know how my cooling touch-up goes, and how my BIOS flashing turns out... I'm sending the motherboard back on Monday so they should receive it Tuesday next week.

Thank you for all the brilliant information in this thread! :D

Permabanned
OP
There does seems to be an issue with the BIOS chips on this board, I have flashed 0403 and 0404 many times and i am now unable to boot from chip 2, It must be totaly corrupted.

Removing the stock cooling on the board will void any and all warranty that Asus offers, Please be carefull guys.

Soldato
Removing the stock cooling on the board will void any and all warranty that Asus offers, Please be carefull guys.

So, am i to understand that if i remove my stock cooling and reapply fresh TIM due to Asus shabby QA,their poor application of inadequate TIM, Thermal pad contact, which requires replacement i therefore void the MB warranty?

Or if i remove the stock cooling completely with no intention of reinstalling due to modification ie application of ram sinks, after market cooling ect.

Edit: Or in the case of the MB NB not seated properly which is clearly evident due to poor QA, manufacturing and is therefore faulty. Should I raise an RMA with OcUK for a brand new MB replacement?

As this issue has been raised, i was of the understanding that the end user could remove the cooling system to replace after market TIM/ Pads, replacing the stock cooler does not void the warranty

Can you clarify please Smirnoff

Edit: or would a Don like to clarify please

Last edited:
Associate
This would be interesting to know. I would like to know what the chances are of me receiving a replacement motherboard with exactly the same problems... Or even receiving the same motherboard back if it's considered 'not a fault'. If so, I'll just redo Asus' shoddy job, I feel pretty confident with it.

Soldato
Hi All,

Has anyone tryed the 501 bios yet?
Dose it clear up any of the RAM compatability issues?

http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?model=Rampage%20Extreme&SLanguage=en-us

Unsure as to the fix in this Bios update. Although the link provided 501 doesn't appear on the Bios update page. If you can relink to the 501 download would be appreciated.

Asus are dragging their heels in turning out an updated Bios for this board.

Also anyone any idea what has happened to the xtreamsystems.org forums? havent been able to get on them all week? :confused:

I have had the same problem and the forum still appears to be down:(

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom